Teach me about your industry!

Soldato
Hi all

Having just graduated from university, I'm in a position where I'm super keen to get working.

But in all honesty, I know very little about the different industry and roles within them, and I know that there are some very varied backgrounds on here, so I'd like to try and educate myself if possible. If anyone is willing to spend some time, over a post on here, a phone call or whatever, I'd be eternally grateful :)

For those posting, if you could give a brief outline of the industry you're in, what you do job wise, and then any information you'd like to provide (perhaps pros and cons of your role/experience)?

Many thanks in advance :cool:

Soldato
I suppose the issue here, is that many people are likely to be in non Industry specific jobs.

For example i'm an Accountant for a manufacturing firm who produce Activated Charcoal related products for filtration systems. My role isn't really specific to the charcoal industry, i just play around with numbers and spreadsheets, but as a general jist:-

Our production factories buy coconut shells in the far east (Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka and India) and then use a mixture of chemicals and heat processes to "Activate it"

This then gets shipped to various departments around the world, who either sell these products on to the customers or use some more processes specific to local markets to give it different properties to then sell.

So within our company we have a mix of production guys, chemical engineers in labs working on R&D and testing, sales guys, finance guys, supply chain guys etc.

Generally, depending on what you've graduated in, most jobs will apply to any industry (IT support could go into any company who has an IT system for example). There are fairly few degrees which would be so specific that you need insight into a specific industry :)

Soldato
I'm an in-house solicitor at a tech company. If that's an area you're interested in, happy to go into more detail (or point to a thread somewhere where I did :p) and answer any questions you have.

Man of Honour
Sys admin for a large global technology company, providing IT services/personnel to a much larger aerospace/defence group, who in turn provide a service to the RAF to maintain systems for the maintenance and operation of one of their aircraft types.

Soldato
Sys admin for a large global technology company, providing IT services/personnel to a much larger aerospace/defence group, who in turn provide a service to the RAF to maintain systems for the maintenance and operation of one of their aircraft types.

CSC? And BAe Systems, Selex, or MBDA?

Soldato
Software developer for a Hedge Fund - I have been working on systems (trading and accounting) for various financial companies for over 20 years now. AMA.

:)

Soldato
What are you trying to achieve? Surely you have some idea of what industry you want to work in having completed a degree?

I'm a software engineer in the games industry for what it's worth. I'm not sure what you're trying to find out though!

Associate
Engineering role (Signalling and Telecommunications) in the rail industry.

Pros....excellent Salary, a great pension scheme and no two days are the same. Get to work outdoors in glorious weather.

Cons....unsociable shift patterns and get to work outdoors in terrible weather in a dangerous environment.

Back
Top Bottom