• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Don't care about 4K until we can run demanding titles at rather high settings and still get high minimum FPS, that's not happening even with a 3070 or 3080 because a 2080Ti can't do it now unless you want 30/40fps lows

Rather 1440p until GPUs handle it better to my preference

Most games on Vega 64 i can get a constant 60. My latest game f1 2020 on the high preset averages out around 60 so a 2080ti would kill it. I think a lot of people look at review charts and get scared. With tweaking you can get a great image at 60fps. You got to remember 4k gives a visual upgrade itself so with tweaking you can get an image that looks just as good as 1440p/1080 turning some settings lower. If i was running 2080ti power i reckon 4k would be pretty easy to manage. The only game i can't manage to get a happy medium is rdr 2 so dropped to 1440p. Most likely getting the new rdna 2 gpu and willing to go £700 max. Really hoping that gets me above 2080ti performance then 4k should be really easy for me.

Soldato
'm going to stick my neck out here and say that anyone who games below 1080p and buys a new GPU needs to have a serious word with themselves. At the 1080p level, there will be the framerate whores who want the new card, but I suspect a huge chunk of that 1080p crowd is taken up by a) those who casually game on a laptop or monitor that just happens to be at that resolution and b) those who can't afford the shiny stuff (which I don't mean in a disparaging sense). So then you're into the 1440p and 2160p crowd which is where the money is to be had. Both are growing areas of the market where current GPU performance isn't there.

4K will be mainstream thanks to the waves of new 4K TV's and the consoles being 4K devices.

It will only become mainstream on PC when the Gpus required to run it are selling for mainstream prices.

Exactly. 4K screens might be mainstream but gaming at 4K is very far from that.

Lol is this still being discussed 4K just isn’t mainstream, not even close. We are a couple of years off that at least.

Might not be mainstream yet but don't forget about VR. I have no intention of buying a 4k monitor as I couldn't justify it, but still need a strong 4k GPU to run VR at high refresh rates.

Associate
I think this coming generation will be the last of a painful run off the back of Turing being the worst in history of accelerated graphics. My rationale is simple once we are over the 4k hump with decent framerates you can add all the bells and whistled you like but the demand drops right off for the high-end over priced products... or to put it another way you'll be able to comfortably sit on a product for 4yrs+ and I think you'll see more people do that. I personally look to upgrade when I see double the performance on offer at a price I'm willing to spend... I would have bought a 2080Ti at £700 2yrs ago but that was not to be but that is in the realm of the possible later this year.
2080TI performance needs to be £450 max later this year!

Soldato
Most games on Vega 64 i can get a constant 60. My latest game f1 2020 on the high preset averages out around 60 so a 2080ti would kill it. I think a lot of people look at review charts and get scared. With tweaking you can get a great image at 60fps. You got to remember 4k gives a visual upgrade itself so with tweaking you can get an image that looks just as good as 1440p/1080 turning some settings lower. If i was running 2080ti power i reckon 4k would be pretty easy to manage. The only game i can't manage to get a happy medium is rdr 2 so dropped to 1440p. Most likely getting the new rdna 2 gpu and willing to go £700 max. Really hoping that gets me above 2080ti performance then 4k should be really easy for me.
That's my point, you can't put most graphical settings to high otherwise you get big dips in FPS, or looking at charts, 50% less FPS than at 1440p.. That's not for me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I pay less attention to Low / Medium / High / Ultra and more to aesthetically pleasing.

+1

I have been saying this for over 6 years now. Imagine 4K as an inaccessible image quality setting on 1440p, the difference I see is like 2 settings or more above what 1440p can achieve at best. So most games still look better on 4K medium/high then they do on 1440p Uber duper maxed out mode.

Associate
RE The 4K adoption discussion.

It's clearly not mainstream for the vast majority of content consumption, games and films included.

8K/16K is an absolutely vast increase in data overhead which I doubt even (especially?) the biggest CDN's will be keen to offer in the next few years.

16K content for a game you'll be looking at Terabytes to download just as a user.

Affordable 8K capture for broadcast is not available.

Soldato
RE The 4K adoption discussion.

It's clearly not mainstream for the vast majority of content consumption, games and films included.

8K/16K is an absolutely vast increase in data overhead which I doubt even (especially?) the biggest CDN's will be keen to offer in the next few years.

16K content for a game you'll be looking at Terabytes to download just as a user.

Affordable 8K capture for broadcast is not available.

H.266 says hello ;)

Soldato
That's about how much it should really cost. 1070 was $350-$375 and allowing for the stronger £ back then the 2080ti should be replaced by a £300 or less part with better performance. Or something.

Trillions of dollars have been printed since the 1070 launched. Inflation means prices will be even higher this gen (official inflation numbers are complete nonsense these days, just look at food prices in supermarkets for a real indicator)

Back
Top Bottom