Best WiFi PCI card for gaming

tnx

tnx

Associate
Just built up a PC for my 11 year old nephew for his first Gaming PC.

Been told their router is down stairs and all the slots are full so this PC will have to connect wirelessly.

So can somebody recommend a good WiFi PCI card for gaming.

This will get him up and running. As a long term solution I would suggest a ethernet switch and a powerline adopter or a long ethernet cable running round the outside of the house.

Any thoughts ?

Soldato

Disassemble it and rebuild it with him. It will be a great uncle-nephew bonding experience and make the PC much more meaningful to him.

As a long term solution I would suggest a ethernet switch and ... a long ethernet cable running round the outside of the house.

Quite right.

Soldato
I wouldn't dismiss powerline adaptors. I used them successfully YEARS ago for gaming and they have only got better. YMMV with regard to wiring quality of the house though. I'd use a decent brand powerline adaptor over WiFi any day.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
cheers guys.

Never thought about letting help build. That would have been a great idea. His dad has his own garage and I know the young lad is taking a very hands on approach with him...

Associate

Been told their router is down stairs and all the slots are full so this PC will have to connect wirelessly.

This will get him up and running. As a long term solution I would suggest a ethernet switch and a powerline adopter or a long ethernet cable running round the outside of the house.

Any thoughts ?
Power line adaptor mate.

Soldato

Any thoughts ?

When you say ‘all the slots are full’ you mean all the ports on the router are occupied? If so, a £15 1GbE switch and the aforementioned long cable will save you doing it again later. Terminating cables and use of a hammer drill with a 250mm bit are also great bonding experiences.

And you imagine the disappointment on your nephews face when he says ‘Uncle tnx this new gaming pc you built me is great but the internet is so slow I can hardly watch pr0n on it at all’. ;)

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Well for the time being and just to get him online I got a WiFi PCI card from a local comp shop.
It works ok.
I will advise his parents on the best way to get full speed internet to his PC.

cheers guys.

Back
Top Bottom