Sexy electrical socket extension recommendations

Soldato
What a daft thread! But here we are!

I need a socket extension that looks nice as it's always going to be in full view.

I don't want to buy a bog standard white extension as they look rubbish.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
The white smart one I've got I thought looked pretty good - very modern.

If you're definitely not interested in white, then I'd imagine the price shooting up due to cosmetics. There can't be many colours out there though.

Soldato
The bog standard ones usually have screw eyes on the back. I have one mounted under my desk. Only one cable to the desk. Can you wall mount or hide behind/under something? Looks better than trailing on the floor

Soldato
I have a 1940s ex-council house with minimal actual wall sockets, so I have extension leads all over the place. I planned them though before the furniture went in, so cables are a minimum and tacked to the skirting and the units themselves are hooked to screws on the skirting. They are then placed where I know furniture will cover them from normal view, but I can still access (just about) to plug/unplug if needed.

Capodecina
Soldato
I have a 1940s ex-council house with minimal actual wall sockets, so I have extension leads all over the place. I planned them though before the furniture went in, so cables are a minimum and tacked to the skirting and the units themselves are hooked to screws on the skirting. They are then placed where I know furniture will cover them from normal view, but I can still access (just about) to plug/unplug if needed.
Sounds like a sensible, pragmatic approach to a common problem.

The only additional advice I would offer is to choose a socket bar with individual switches so that you can turn things on or off selectively :)

Soldato
OP

That looks fairly decent. Thanks.

If its its going to be lying on the floor or on top of a desk what about one of those extension tidy boxes to hide it in?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0076XNIAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8RJnFb6PF5HJG

I hadn't thought of that. Could be an option. Thank you.
The white smart one I've got I thought looked pretty good - very modern.

If you're definitely not interested in white, then I'd imagine the price shooting up due to cosmetics. There can't be many colours out there though.

Do you have a link?

Looks quite complex tbh.

That looks quite smart and durable. I get nervous when I see nice looking ones from Amazon but the descriptions are written in poor Chinese-English, as the last thing I want is for it to short out.

Apologies, it was harsh.

How about something like this OP - A cable tidy unit

https://www.d-line-it.com/products/cable-tidy-units/

Thanks - that looks like a possibility. The good news is I have bog standard white extensions lying around so this might be worth a shot...

I once worked out of a hipster co-working space in Farringdon, London for the day. They had these uber cool electrical socket extensions that looked well crafted. The cables were braided, the outlets were shiny metal and it looked like something you'd be proud to put on a desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Whereabouts is it going to be and how 'in view'? Will it have things permanently plugged in or only now and then?

The tidy boxes are probably best because it's more the mismatch array of plugs in an extension that look unsightly than the extension themselves

If you're thinking of something on a desk for example, that's only sporadic use, then the style that lift up out of the desk would be good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pop-Up-Pull-Up-Tower-Mains-Extension/dp/B07CZ1RRVB (not recommending the particular product or price, just the first one I saw in the style I meant)

Associate
That looks quite smart and durable. I get nervous when I see nice looking ones from Amazon but the descriptions are written in poor Chinese-English, as the last thing I want is for it to short out.

I'm the same,bought one from there because it was cheap.Sent it back as half the points didn't work,will never buy such items from there ever again.I have 2 of the ones i posted,white in the kitchen,black in the living room.They have a piano type finish to them.

Back
Top Bottom