Are these two different sets of Team Group compatible,

Associate
I asked in pre-sales advice last week, but so far no-one has answered me, so I'm hoping the community can help me out.

My OCUK PC from 2017, has this installed:
Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel

Which I think may still be sold here, however, when I go to the site I get:

The Overclockers UK site is under-going maintenance at the moment, we apologise for any inconvenience. We expect to be back in just a few minutes

I was considering adding an additional 32GB of this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-grey-my-0aj-tg.html

I don't need the LEDs as my case only really allows you to see them if you look through the top fan filters.

Two questions:

A: As I don't know for definite what the timings are on my current memory, is there any way I am able to check to confirm both sets could be used together?

B: Would I need to alter any setting in the BIOS due to the overclock, or should it be fine?

I admit adding 32GB is probably overkill, but considering the price of memory at the moment, I think I may as well pay the extra over 16GB

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Mark

Associate
It's hard to say as Team use selected memory chips from different suppliers (Micron, Samsung, Hynix) so you don't know how they'll mix and what results you'll get.

I know that a 2x16gb (32GB) pair I got (same as the ones in your link) were Micron chips but from the new higher density line (10nm I think). Manufactured in June/July!

That means they are single sided sticks and single rank memory. Not sure if all of them will be the same as you can't tell till you open up a utility like Thaiphoon Burner.

They worked fine on an older Ryzen 1700 system and B450 motherboard at the speed and timings listed haven't tried overclocking yet, but will lose some performance due to not being dual ranked and therefore no interleaved memory access.

If you have a Ryzen build they can be fussy about how many memory ranks you have and can slow down the top speed to give compatibility. I'd say it's probably a bad idea mixing the two together as they will be very different chips and timings. No guarantee they'll work together, or if they do it might be at a reduced speed.

Associate
OP
Thanks spirits247

Okay, this is more complicated than I thought it was. It's a good job I got your advice first.

I've got an Asus Strix Z370-F, with an i7-8700K overclocked to 4.9GHz, I get the impression that the best thing for me to do is:

Buy a 32GB kit, and replace the 16GB with that, and sell my 16GB kit.

Rather than my original idea of having 48GB between both kits, which is likely to mix things up.

Good job I didn't go with my original plan of getting 16GB of the 'same memory' to take it to 32GB.

You live and learn.

Associate
Intel platforms are less fussy you might be fine. You could as you said buy the kit, try it to see if it works and if it doesn't you can always sell the older kit. It's not too much cash anyway to try.

Noticed the price on the kit keeps on dropping by a pound or two every few days! :D

Back
Top Bottom