Google busted

Soldato
I've decided to edit the OP in an attempt to ward off the usual keyboard warrior approach that's now way too frequent in this section of the forum.

I'm genuinely interested in what steps people take to protect their privacy with their gadgets, particularly your phone. Please share your tactics (if any).

On my Google feed today, I have noticed two articles that are quite bespoke. For example one is this article: https://www.dekkobird.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-my-own-kitchen-refresh/

My wife is currently painting kitchen cupboards (it's a tactic, she wants a new kitchen and thinks I was born yesterday :p). I'm away from home right now, and the communication about the kitchen refresh has been purely pictures of her work sent over WhatsApp and verbal conversation, again using WhatsApp.

There was another article in the feed today, and again the subject was definitely only discussed verbally last night via WhatsApp. I am not impressed with this, it goes beyond privacy violation IMO.

How can I address this? Amend settings that I'm unaware of? Switch away from Android?

Last edited:
Associate
On my Google feed today, I have noticed two articles that are quite bespoke. For example one is this article: https://www.dekkobird.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-my-own-kitchen-refresh/

My wife is currently painting kitchen cupboards (it's a tactic, she wants a new kitchen and thinks I was born yesterday :p). I'm away from home right now, and the communication about the kitchen refresh has been purely pictures of her work sent over WhatsApp and verbal conversation, again using WhatsApp.

There was another article in the feed today, and again the subject was definitely only discussed verbally last night via WhatsApp. I am not impressed with this, it goes beyond privacy violation IMO.

How can I address this? Amend settings that I'm unaware of? Switch away from Android?

First thing I would do is actually prove it, rather than just taking coincidental, anecdotal evidence as factual proof.

Until then, anything like this remains firmly in the "Conspiracy Loon" category. Sorry.

Soldato
Actually whilst we're on this topic, I was watching 'The Fugitive' with Harrison Ford on my TV on Netflix, and a day or so later a video about the making of the train crash scene appears in my recommended video YouTube list?

I've had other similar instances, and makes you wonder to what degree Google are snooping on users. I can only assume my androud smartphone detected audio from the film playing?

Soldato
OP
By default the WhatsApp pictures get saved to your Gallery, which is where Google is seeing them from.

In WhatsApp you need to turn off 'Media visibility'

I've got it set that way already, plus the second conversation did not involve pictures. Trust me, I'm no conspiracy nut.

ETA: thanks for the genuine response by the way, I appreciate you weren't accusing me of being a conspiracy nut.

Soldato
What if the AI is listening in on us, but Google do not know it's doing this ?

It's obvious that there is some snooping that goes on that isn't publicly broadcast to users but how much of that is down to Google knowingly doing this to either test their AI capabilities or just because they can vs their AI going rogue is unknown, it's certainly not the first time someone has posted having a verbal conversation about something and then suddenly ads are popping up related to that conversation

Soldato
OP

It's obvious that there is some snooping that goes on that isn't publicly broadcast to users but how much of that is down to Google knowingly doing this to either test their AI capabilities or just because they can vs their AI going rogue is unknown, it's certainly not the first time someone has posted having a verbal conversation about something and then suddenly ads are popping up related to that conversation

I used to think people were getting that the wrong way round; they were seeing adverts and then subconsciously discussing them and then thinking the discussion happened first. Obviously recent personal experience has taught me otherwise.

Genuine question: in general, is Apple any better? I would consider switching, but I've never owned an iPhone so not sure it would improve the situation?

Soldato
Maybe targeted from your search histories? There is an 'ad personalisation' option you can switch off if you're signed in to Google.

Soldato
OP
I don't really care.
They could easily have it all.

24hrs ago I would have said that, and I wouldn't criticise anyone who does. For me now, there was a personal private conversation took place with no photos or web searches involved and now I'm seeing targeted ads on the subject (not the penis enlargement ones, I've been getting them for years and still don't know how they know ;))

It's really made me think.

Caporegime
I'm sorry I didn't have the patience to indulge your stupid conspiracy theory.

Should I have made you a hot cup of coco and get you a nice comfy chair so you could better recite the utter nonsense of your experienced coincidence?

You seem like a pretty angry and unpleasant person in general tbh... I’m not sure the OP is too interested in what you personally have the patience to indulge.

While pointing out that this sort of thing can be coincidental or perhaps still related to the pictures there isn’t much need for rudeness here.

Yes it’s common that people believe their phones are listening to them, reading their messages etc.. these algos can be very good. Just look at what Cambridge Analytica was able to do with some dimension reduction and a simple linear model.

Fact is conversations don’t necessarily occur as some lone instance unrelated to everything else, also people notice coincidences but see and ignore plenty more ads that have no relation to discussions etc...

Caporegime

That just doesn’t make any sense, that’s like saying, when playing Sonic the hedge hog... “what if he runs too fast and jumps out of the screen, what if Sega don’t know that’s possible”.

AI going rogue

No, this isn’t a sci-fi movie.

Soldato
That just doesn’t make any sense, that’s like saying, when playing Sonic the hedge hog... “what if he runs too fast and jumps out of the screen, what if Sega don’t know that’s possible”.

No, this isn’t a sci-fi movie.

The whole point of AI is it's supposed to learn by doing, it's not out of the realms of possibility that is had learned to do this depending on how truly advanced AI actually is these days, either that OR google have intentionally programmed it to do this either way it's pretty cool and equally creepy

Also re your Sonic comment.... bugs exist, devs usually don't know they exist until they're reported, I would imagine AI is not immune from bugs like every other computer code that exists, this would just be a convenient bug if it was a bug

Soldato
I've noticed a few times when you get suspiciously well timed ads. I always think it may be my partner searching it. Had one happen last week in facebook when she told me she had tinnitus that night as we went to sleep. Following day I saw a tinnitus ad in facebook, she said she'd not searched on her phone etc.

Maybe coincidence, but at the same time, I'd not be surprised if it wasn't.

Caporegime
24hrs ago I would have said that, and I wouldn't criticise anyone who does. For me now, there was a personal private conversation took place with no photos or web searches involved and now I'm seeing targeted ads on the subject (not the penis enlargement ones, I've been getting them for years and still don't know how they know ;))

It's really made me think.

I'm willing to bet there was searches made somewhere that were tracked, Google, amazon, eBay, etc.

Every time I search something it pops up on the wife's Facebook, etc.

Smart tracking cookies. I don't believe they are listening to our conversations at all. If they were an employee no foubt would leak it and become a whistle blower.

Back
Top Bottom