Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
With this weather comes haziness!
DCIM-100-MEDIA-DJI-0193-JPG.jpg

DCIM-100-MEDIA-DJI-0195-JPG.jpg

Caporegime
Random thought, but does anyone know why dji only seem to make drones in Grey\White colours which are harder to see in the sky vs darker colours which are easier to see? I know they make some drones like the Matrice etc which are black but the "cheaper" consumer drones always seem to be made with lighter colours for whatever reason.

The only real exception to that was the phantom 4 obsidian which was a dark gunmetal type of colour, seen some reviews also say the same about it being easier to keep track of.

Soldato
Should probably get around to doing the online test and registration for using my Mavic Pro - I've got a pfco / pfaw through work using a Mavic 2 Pro but I don't think that'd exempt me from needing to sit the test / register for using my own private drone Doh!

And yes you'd need a license from the CAA for anything that would involve paid work!

Caporegime
Had my Parrot Anafi out tonight giving it a run, overall a good little drone but some of the modes it has are just pointless, hyperlapse for instance, the drone is simply too light to maintain any real stability when it comes to recording a stationary hyper-lapse video. I used to enjoy recording these on my mavic 2 pro and had no issues but the anafi it just turns out to be a jiggly mess.

Has decent range it has to be said, had it in a country area heading towards a wind turbine a mile away and it got there with no issues (assuming you're using the modded version of the app that increases the power mode).

Takes some really nice pics and videos as well:

UxJFcyD.jpg

E42OQWa.jpg

tWhZV68.jpg

Associate
Had my Parrot Anafi out tonight giving it a run, overall a good little drone but some of the modes it has are just pointless, hyperlapse for instance, the drone is simply too light to maintain any real stability when it comes to recording a stationary hyper-lapse video. I used to enjoy recording these on my mavic 2 pro and had no issues but the anafi it just turns out to be a jiggly mess.

Has decent range it has to be said, had it in a country area heading towards a wind turbine a mile away and it got there with no issues (assuming you're using the modded version of the app that increases the power mode).

Takes some really nice pics and videos as well:

UxJFcyD.jpg

E42OQWa.jpg

tWhZV68.jpg
Wow you must have eyes of an eagle to still have that in LOS. :p

Caporegime
Wow you must have eyes of an eagle to still have that in LOS. :p

Against a blue sky it was surprisingly easy to pick out, the anafi is black so stands out a bit more than white drones. Plus it has an arc 2 strobe on it which helps :)

Im curious why you've gone to a P.Anafi from a M2P?? :confused:

Had the anafi before the mavic, that was my first drone. Ended up selling the mavic as it wasn't getting much use for several months. Ended up getting more than I paid for it.

Last edited:
Associate
Random thought, but does anyone know why dji only seem to make drones in Grey\White colours which are harder to see in the sky vs darker colours which are easier to see? I know they make some drones like the Matrice etc which are black but the "cheaper" consumer drones always seem to be made with lighter colours for whatever reason.

The only real exception to that was the phantom 4 obsidian which was a dark gunmetal type of colour, seen some reviews also say the same about it being easier to keep track of.

I've skinned mine bright, and i mean in your face bright, orange ... Finally gets left alone by the damn seagulls (Can be no birds for miles and they'd appear from nowhere and have a go, doesn't matter where it's flown)

If they were brighter colours, maybe they'd get left alone as standard and also make recovery of a downed drone easier

Caporegime
I've skinned mine bright, and i mean in your face bright, orange ... Finally gets left alone by the damn seagulls (Can be no birds for miles and they'd appear from nowhere and have a go, doesn't matter where it's flown)

If they were brighter colours, maybe they'd get left alone as standard and also make recovery of a downed drone easier

Recommend a skin supplier please?

Caporegime
Recommend a skin supplier please?

Istyles or decal girl, near sure they're the same company only decal girl is u.s. based. Decalgirl uses 3M material, don't recall what istyles uses though it might be the same stuff as they import their stuff in (presumably from decalgirl).

It's odd they only seem to crank them out in greyish type colours, you have some exceptions like the original mavic air or obsidan phantom but for the most part they make them in a colour that's pretty easy to lose in the sky, and it doesn't need it to be that far away to make it hard to see either. Don't really understand why they don't have colour options for the shell.

Had a few instances of Gulls coming after my parrot drone, I've read that using strobes on it during the day also deters them.

And wouldn't ya know it, i take delivery of my MA-2 and it's gonna be ******* it down with high winds for a few days. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
kLgFmmA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WgHc0F2.mp4

Finally got out for a bit with it, impressed.

Bought this case for it off amazon:

xxPh7CM.jpg

Great little case but..JEBUS. When i unpacked it from the cardboard box and then opened the case the stench of the foam was unbelievably rank, it smelled like stale cat ****. Had to leave it open for an hour for the stink to subside.

Last edited:
Soldato

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and a Mavic Pro, but looking at this video it makes me want to get into fpv.

Looking at his setup - goggles, transmitter and drone, its around £1000 :eek:

Caporegime
Anyone tried 8k hyper-lapse with the MAvic Air 2? Disappointing to say the least. The image is so "jumpy" it makes it utterly pointless.

7:31 is what you can expect, not even sure if this is an issue that dji can fix as it seems to be related to the 6 second interval per picture taxing the cpu hard. Think they went a bit overboard with this feature.

Associate
Had my first proper drone delivered yesterday - DJI Mavic Mini. Can't wait to take it out. I've watched quite a bit on YouTube and it looks like a fantastic piece of kit.

What software do people recommend for video editing?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bought a mavic mini 2 and have just set it up etc, cant seem to get the obstacle avoidance to work, its set to Normal mode on controller, Sport mode gives the notification that this wont be active, but had it inside (due to rubbish weather) and it just doesnt work, never used the new fly app before so not sure if i've missed a setting somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom