MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
That was my plan as well. 3600 in a X570 Tomahawk

Problem I have though is I cannot get any power on my system when the CPU is in the socket. Currently dealing with MSI support to try and find out if the problem is a dodgy CPU or motherboard socket or something else. Don't suppose anyone else has had a problem like that?

Associate
That was my plan as well. 3600 in a X570 Tomahawk

Problem I have though is I cannot get any power on my system when the CPU is in the socket. Currently dealing with MSI support to try and find out if the problem is a dodgy CPU or motherboard socket or something else. Don't suppose anyone else has had a problem like that?

Where both components bough from OCUK? if so RMA them both and will be tested at the same time, which ever faulty they will forward to the RMA centre at no cost to yourself.

Associate
My front usb 3 front is very slow but rear 200mb any ideas anyone
The obvious thing to check is that the fronts are plugged into USB3 on the motherboard, and not USB2, off the top of my head I can't recall if the motherboard connectors for USB2/USB3 are the same ?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Finally put my new build together yesterday, details in sig. I'm struggling to get my audio/speaker setup right? I have some oldish Logitech 5.1 z506's and the sound card inputs are green, orange and black. The MSI board's inputs don't match up :D

product-6-20200326100100-5e7c0cdc93ca1.png

Any ideas?

Also, what audio drivers are you all using? The one's on MSI?

Thanks.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Hi guys,

Finally put my new build together yesterday, details in sig. I'm struggling to get my audio/speaker setup right? I have some oldish Logitech 5.1 z506's and the sound card inputs are green, orange and black. The MSI board's inputs don't match up :D
Any ideas?

Page 23 of the user manual I believe ;)

The red one on the back panel is Line Out - green on your Logi speakers. Orange goes to CS-OUT. Black goes to RS-OUT.

Also, what audio drivers are you all using? The one's on MSI?

Thanks.

Using the latest ones from the MSI site here.

Associate
New Bios out guys

7C84v12 - 2020-08-10

Description
- Improved boot time.
- Improved PS/2 KB/Mouse compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.

Improved boot time would be useful - it takes way longer to post then it does to go from post to the login screen

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Improved boot time would be useful - it takes way longer to post then it does to go from post to the login screen

Yep. That's probably my only 'issue' (it's not really an issue, but lack of a better term and all that) with the board right now.

Will try the new BIOS later, see what it does.

Soldato
Page 23 of the user manual I believe ;)

The red one on the back panel is Line Out - green on your Logi speakers. Orange goes to CS-OUT. Black goes to RS-OUT.

Using the latest ones from the MSI site here.
Legend, thank you!

Re: the sound drivers, no icon in the system tray? I've been running the Realtek Audio Console through the app store.

Soldato
I think I'm going to bombarding this thread with lots of silly little questions...

My AIO watercooling; Corsair H100x, am I right in thinking that the pump header plugs into the 4-pin water-pump connector on the board and the radiator fans (x2), pwm but daisy-chained, plug into the CPU fan connector?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Legend, thank you!

No worries.

Re: the sound drivers, no icon in the system tray? I've been running the Realtek Audio Console through the app store.

Yeah, I do any tweaking from the Realtek app.

I think I'm going to bombarding this thread with lots of silly little questions...

My AIO watercooling; Corsair H100x, am I right in thinking that the pump header plugs into the 4-pin water-pump connector on the board and the radiator fans (x2), pwm but daisy-chained, plug into the CPU fan connector?

Yep, that will work fine.

Soldato
I've been thinking of using this x570 Tomahawk board but recently seen the leaning towards the 'MSI AMD B550 MPG GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX Motherboard' as it's £40 cheaper and I doubt I'll ever use more than one GPU or PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD. Are there any significant downsides to this B550 board in comparison with the Tomahawk?

How are the VRMs !?! ;)

Soldato
Currently I have the B450 Tomawkk max, Is it worth me upgrading to the X570 variant? I not sure if pcie 4.0 will do much for my 5700xt but i do like it has more M2 slots and onboard wifi and presumably better audio? and also an easier upgrade path for newer Ryzen cpus.

Last edited:
Associate
New Bios out guys

7C84v12 - 2020-08-10

Description
- Improved boot time.
- Improved PS/2 KB/Mouse compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.

updated last night.takes around 5 mins or so. boot-up is a little quicker, maybe a second or so. No issues other than remember (unlike me) that it'll reset bios back to defaults, so my mem setting went back to 2666mhz, and I lost all my fan profiles...which of course I can't remember !

task manager tells me bios takes 17.2 seconds. And then it's 5 seconds from there to desktop. For those looking to shave some time of boot, I noted that my old bluray drive was holding back the bios by a few seconds. So as it's rarely used and I can take the top of my case without having to pull the case out, I've pulled it's sata cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom