Want a decent upgrade to the Smart Hub 6

Associate
The wireless signal on the Smart Hub 6 is nearly good enough but not quite. I've also experienced really weird issues that I just think it's better to try something else.

The house is 3 storey with the router on the middle floor. I was happy using a Billion 8800NL for years but problems arised when the newly purchased Smart TV on the bottom floor was struggling to play 480p content on the YouTube app. It was so bad BBC iPlayer wouldn't load sometimes let alone play video.

When renewing the BT contract last year, the Smart Hub 6 was sent out so I decided to see what it was like. What a difference. The TV could now play 1440p content and 4k played but would buffer. This was fine though and I thought that was the end of it.

However, some weirdness happens now and again that I never experienced with the Billion. If I'm hammering my upload speed near its max, I'll have Twitch streams occasionally buffer and even YouTube won't be "snappy" if that makes sense when seeking videos. It's not awful but the Billion was just leaps and bounds better in this regard.

I'm basically looking for a router that is on the same performance level as the Billion (or better :p) but also has slightly better wireless coverage than the Home Hub 6.

I have done some reading and noticed people stating a separate modem and router can be good but unfortunately from where the phone line is and lack of power sockets around there, an all in one solution is the only thing that can be used. Can go to around £250 if needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
With a three-storey building, I'd be looking to use multiple access points or some sort of mesh system to get the wireless coverage.

All wireless routers/access points have to work within the same rules for transmit power and gain so there's only so far you can get with a single device.

Soldato
With regards to buffering when maxing you’re upload speeds, that will happen. Maybe the billion had QoS or something enabled that reserved a little upload speed so you didn’t see the problem manifest itself. Can’t tell you how many people who’ve told me that their Netflix has started buffering at the exact same time their kids learnt about torrents! Make sure whatever route you go down that you have a way to avoid the situation of your upload bandwidth being saturated for prolonged periods.

Associate
The wireless signal on the Smart Hub 6 is nearly good enough but not quite. I've also experienced really weird issues that I just think it's better to try something else.

The house is 3 storey with the router on the middle floor. I was happy using a Billion 8800NL for years but problems arised when the newly purchased Smart TV on the bottom floor was struggling to play 480p content on the YouTube app. It was so bad BBC iPlayer wouldn't load sometimes let alone play video.

When renewing the BT contract last year, the Smart Hub 6 was sent out so I decided to see what it was like. What a difference. The TV could now play 1440p content and 4k played but would buffer. This was fine though and I thought that was the end of it.

However, some weirdness happens now and again that I never experienced with the Billion. If I'm hammering my upload speed near its max, I'll have Twitch streams occasionally buffer and even YouTube won't be "snappy" if that makes sense when seeking videos. It's not awful but the Billion was just leaps and bounds better in this regard.

I'm basically looking for a router that is on the same performance level as the Billion (or better :p) but also has slightly better wireless coverage than the Home Hub 6.

I have done some reading and noticed people stating a separate modem and router can be good but unfortunately from where the phone line is and lack of power sockets around there, an all in one solution is the only thing that can be used. Can go to around £250 if needed.

Thanks

The modem is better in the Billion, the Wifi is better on the BT hub.

Connect the Billion to the internet and turn off the wifi.
Connect a pc directly to the BT hub and turn off DHCP and set the IP to 192.168.1.253 (assuming the Billion is 192.168.1.254)

Plug the BThub in where ever you'd like and run a network cable from the BThub to the Billion.

You now have a billion modem and a BT access point.

Buy a power strip to plug both in...

Back
Top Bottom