• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge vs FX 8370 vs Zen 2

Caporegime
Good review about how well Intel's and AMD old 2012 CPU's do compared to something affordable from today, like the Ryzen 3300X and 3600.

If you're still on Sandy Bridge its not pretty, if you're still on AMD's Bulldozer architecture its so bad its not even funny.

If you're on any of these two older CPU's and are asking is it worth upgrading?

Well this is the most extreme example but the rest doesn't look much better.

Yeah.....

ypcc5M2.png

Associate
Looks like what I experienced with my 2500k, 980ti setup - low FPS in CPU demanding games.
Yet we still had people here saying it was bs and 4 cores is still good enough and telling people to buy high end GPUs to pair with them :D

Soldato
Them Fx chips really are terrible, surprised AMD made it through that rough patch. Consoles hepled them through it I bet.

Their GPUs, semi custom silicon for the consoles and some downsizing just about got the through it.

Am i the only one that finds it slightly annoying when the compare the fx 83xx with Sandybridge, it should really be the 81xxs. Assuming I Remember correctly Sandybridge came out in early 2011, the fx 81xx in about October 2011, and then finally the fx 83xx in mid 2012.

Associate
The sandybridge processors are not even overclocked here, they can easily do 4.5-4.6 GHz, some are even hitting 5GHz. Still impressive for tech that is so old.

Caporegime
OP
The old Xeon hex cores for a tenner still doing a decent job in sottr though.

It does ok heavily overclocked, what annoys me about him, his channel is how upbeat and chirpy he is about pretending $200 for a 12 year old used platform is a viable alternative to a much more modern platform for about or little more money...

X58 with a Xeon X5860 5 or 6 years ago was a great buy, if you could find a reasonable priced motherboard for it, even back then while the X5860 was $60 used a half decent 5 year old used Motherboard was £150+

Today people harping on about "Get an X5860 its great" IMO are delusional, while yes more capable than a 2600K its still significantly slower than a cheap modern CPU, the motherboards are still expensive, they are even older now, most of us don't have cars as old as these boards are now...

This guy thinks of himself as a bargain guru, its his channel theme and "get a used 8400 or Ryzen 5" just isn't as 'seemingly' clever or original and of course this guy has to come from the left field to tell you something no one else is.................................. because like Sandy Bridge its time to consign the X5860 to history, as boring as it may be there are better options now for the same money, stop filling people who don't know any better full of crap. ObsoleteTechCity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to go out and buy a 11 year old motherboard but if you already have one with a i7 quad then picking up the Xeon for a tenner is a great buy and will perform better in some games than a 3 year old 7600k. I hardly noticed a difference in fps at 1440p going from a [email protected] to a ryzen 5 3600 with a gtx 1070ti.

Permabanned
So much for FX being future proof lol

FX is future-proof but not in gaming, as all other AMD CPUs are after the Athlon 64.

We can't draw concrete conclusions only looking at several games which obviously AMD doesn't design its processors to run optimally on.

Look at the wider pricture.
In PassMark and overall multi-threading loads, the FX is still faster:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8370+Eight-Core&id=2347

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+@+3.40GHz&id=868

Double post

DP - Someone forgot to feed the Hamster

The post is there after the first attempt, if it doesn't visualise, just go to another forum thread and then return and it will appear, without posting two or three identical messages.

Soldato
It does ok heavily overclocked, what annoys me about him, his channel is how upbeat and chirpy he is about pretending $200 for a 12 year old used platform is a viable alternative to a much more modern platform for about or little more money...

X58 with a Xeon X5860 5 or 6 years ago was a great buy, if you could find a reasonable priced motherboard for it, even back then while the X5860 was $60 used a half decent 5 year old used Motherboard was £150+

Today people harping on about "Get an X5860 its great" IMO are delusional, while yes more capable than a 2600K its still significantly slower than a cheap modern CPU, the motherboards are still expensive, they are even older now, most of us don't have cars as old as these boards are now...

This guy thinks of himself as a bargain guru, its his channel theme and "get a used 8400 or Ryzen 5" just isn't as 'seemingly' clever or original and of course this guy has to come from the left field to tell you something no one else is.................................. because like Sandy Bridge its time to consign the X5860 to history, as boring as it may be there are better options now for the same money, stop filling people who don't know any better full of crap. ObsoleteTechCity.
Not to mention the power draw requirement. Those old CPUs are so inefficient compared with the current line up. It just makes very little sense.

Permabanned
Soldato
I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to go out and buy a 11 year old motherboard but if you already have one with a i7 quad then picking up the Xeon for a tenner is a great buy and will perform better in some games than a 3 year old 7600k. I hardly noticed a difference in fps at 1440p going from a [email protected] to a ryzen 5 3600 with a gtx 1070ti.

Or auction the X58 board and buy something much faster with warranty from the proceeds.

Soldato
Their GPUs, semi custom silicon for the consoles and some downsizing just about got the through it.

Am i the only one that finds it slightly annoying when the compare the fx 83xx with Sandybridge, it should really be the 81xxs. Assuming I Remember correctly Sandybridge came out in early 2011, the fx 81xx in about October 2011, and then finally the fx 83xx in mid 2012.

Agreed and thank you for pointing that out as I had the same thoughts, I was also thinking about those who bought into 6C12T SB-E/IVY-E systems and held onto them with longevity in mind, despite most game engines not showing the advantages.
I'm also wondering if Steves 2600k was throttling due to running stock as it was beaten consistently by the 2500k+ an overclocked sb would see 15-30fps, Ivb 25-40fps.,

it is annoying the Zambezi has been skipped and forgotten when it was Sandy Bridge Competitor, Vishera was the Ivy Bridge competitor and then refined silicon grey bearded Vishera took a kicking from Haswell.
I think people are forgetting the failure of the delayed Zambezi Fx 4100/6100/8100 silicon which was year 2011, the same year as Sandy Bridge.
Vishera was then late 2012 after Ivy bridge had released and Vishera refined silicon of 2013/14 after Haswell had released.
The Fx8370 was the last by product of a low leakage/refined 32nm process and was released in 2014 making it 6 years old not 8, The equivalent intel of that time would be Haswell or rebranded Devils Canyon as it was when reviews were made against the Fx Vishera series because that's all Amd had to offer.

I'm not taking anything away from Zen2 it's solid in all core counts and was finally a good enoughish reason for me to upgrade from a 4770k.

Back
Top Bottom