How long do you let your engine warm up for?

Associate
... before giving it higher revs. Assuming no oil temperature gauge...

I know it can vary from engine to engine too of course.

Until it reaches operating temperature or until the temp gauge settles is the correct answer. My Subaru wont allow S# mode to be engaged if the engine is cold..which is a good thing. Anyone ragging a car while the engine is cold is stupid

Associate
Wait until oil is above 80°. Oil gauge goes to mid (120°) after 20 minutes, so would have to wait a long time before giving it some push otherwise.

Soldato
120ºc seems hot for the normal operating temperature of oil. It's usually around 90ºc

In my Scoob which has an oil temp gauge, I wait until the oil is at 90ºc which is usually around 15-20 minutes of driving. Coolant is at the mid mark after about 5 minutes. I wait about the same time in my other cars too.

Soldato
I don’t usually have a measure due to so many variables. I.e the hot days this week means it’ll warm up quicker but as others have mentioned, normally if the coolant temp is showing in the middle (I.e normal) then it goes some way to show she’s warmed up. However I know oil takes a lot longer and being a diesel, takes longer again.

Its a modern car which is serviced regularly. I just use common sense and some mechanical sympathy.

Man of Honour
On my pickup not long enough :( though it will limit revs a bit if it isn't up to heat but it won't totally over-ride you especially if you kick-down.

Associate
Aren't most people actually seeing the coolant temperature gauge? Can't think of a car I've driven that has an oil gauge.

My M5 has an oil temp gauge and its easy to find on our golf R - just three button presses on the steering wheel how i have it set up.

I dont give the cars full beans till the oil temp hits 80 degrees - one thing that I am careful about.

Soldato
My M5 has an oil temp gauge and its easy to find on our golf R - just three button presses on the steering wheel how i have it set up.

I dont give the cars full beans till the oil temp hits 80 degrees - one thing that I am careful about.

Yeah on my audi I have to go into the system menu to check the oil temperature, hence my comment about most people who are looking at the dashboard are actually seeing the coolant temperature. I do accept that some cars will have a physical oil gauge as well, but pretty much every car I've been in has a coolant gauge.

Soldato
Aren't most people actually seeing the coolant temperature gauge? Can't think of a car I've driven that has an oil gauge.
Even the Skoda Kamiq I had as a loan car had oil temp available, plenty of mundane but modern cars have oil temp displays as well as coolant, though I'd guess generally in a menu rather than a primary gauge.

Associate
I wait until the water is temperature is at the correct temperature.
Most cars don't really need an oil temperature gauge. If it is heavily modded then yes, but it is not really required.

Mine takes at least another couple of minutes for the oil temperature to get to 50C after the water has hit 90C Modern cars have very thin water jackets and give a false sense of engine temperature.

I've got a diesel so I just leave it on idle for about 5 mins before driving of but I don't rev it until the cold light for the engine goes off

Diesesels need load on the engine to even start warming up though. You are much better in starting it up and driving it.

Soldato
Drive an auto diesel so let the electronics handle it. I can't remember the revs ever getting over about 3500 even when I do put the foot down. Also, it would take 5-10 minutes to get anywhere I can do over 40 mph without attracting the attention of gentlemen with blue flashing lights.

Man of Honour

My car has an oil temperature gauge not a coolant temperature gauge. I believe the same is true of virtually all BMW models introduced in the last 10 years.

Soldato
2 or 3 minutes, the time it takes to get to the uphill on ramp of the dual carriageway on the way out of work. Life is too short to worry about stuff like that, it's why I drive a boring Toyota.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Lotuses do that. The revs are capped at 5-6k until it reaches 75c.

Yeah, my Westfield has variable rev limits depending on oil temp. 4.5k for <40c, 5k <50c, 5.5k < 60c, 6k <70c, 6.5k <80c. Full bore (7k) >80c.

Back
Top Bottom