Urgent help - 2012 R2 connecting to Windows 10

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Long shot, but make sure the "DNS Client" service is set to Automatic and is started on the PC. Also, as Throrik says, make sure the primary DNS of the network card is set to the IP of your "server".

I always do the manual domain join via "This PC, properties, etc.". Make sure your PCs are running the Pro version.

I can't remember the last time I did an in-place upgrade (if ever!). I always migrate to new hardware when I'm updating the server OS. You would attach the new domain controller to the domain and copy the Active Directory data as part of the migration.

I feel so thick.... checking the DNS it was not pointing to the server. I have just connected it to the domain succesfully... what a clown

Well I have the 2016 license now, so I guess I will have to reinstall at some point but it is not as urgent now

Soldato
Some things you can try:
Use the fqdn od the domain
Temporarily disable IP v6 on the workstation

I take it you can nslookup servername and it comes back with the correct IP, presume the server is doing DHCP?

Associate
Good stuff. DNS underpins Active Directory. For instance, it's how the PCs find an AD domain controller to log in.

Your PCs shouldn't have any other DNS servers set (e.g. don't have external DNS servers that don't hold info about your AD domain). Also, you should be using DHCP on the domain controller to give out IPs on the network along with the options (e.g. IP of the default gateway, DNS server and DNS suffix aka long name of your AD domain).

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Good stuff. DNS underpins Active Directory. For instance, it's how the PCs find an AD domain controller to log in.

Your PCs shouldn't have any other DNS servers set (e.g. don't have external DNS servers that don't hold info about your AD domain). Also, you should be using DHCP on the domain controller to give out IPs on the network along with the options (e.g. IP of the default gateway, DNS server and DNS suffix aka long name of your AD domain).
OK - what about other stuff like Hikvision NVR and other devices, how do they get their IP addresses? Do I need to disable DHCP on the router?

I am having another side-issue with 2012 R2 on folder redirection. This was set up, however it seems to have just fallen over and not be working anymore especially on the new Win10 machines which just seem to be using their C drive as normal

UfBZWyF.png

T2FVjZh.png

There is a seperate GPO thing set up for it... and all is set up correctly as far as I can see

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Associate
Yup, disable DHCP on the router and use the Microsoft one because it'll have more features. Also, the Microsoft DHCP server integrates with the DNS service and dynamically adds records for your PCs. You exclude the lower and higher IPs from the DHCP pool (e.g. .1-49 and 200-254). Then anything running services (e.g. the NVR will be running a webserver) should be put on a static IP out of the pool, so use free IP ending with 1-49 or 200-254. You're running DHCP for clients (PCs/laptops).

Not sure about the group policy issue. Try this in a command prompt: gpresult /R
It should show which policies are being applied.

Soldato
You need to look at the Event Logs on the PCs where Folder Redirection isn't working. There will be entries in the Application log, and under Applications and Services is the Folder Redirection log. Between them they will tell you why it isn't working.

Back
Top Bottom