New Rear Disc Pads after 13500 miles

Soldato
OP
If you had to pay extra for them alongside the service i'd be thinking more like someone has had your leg in the air for work that wasn't needed :p
You can feel a nice lip on the rear discs from where the rear discs have worn down..

There no lip on the front discs that i could feel..

Soldato
BMW did the rear disks and pads on my F11 before I bought it as part of the approved used thing and I've done nearly 70,000 miles in it since. I've had to do the front disks and pads but the rear are still going strong.

Seems very odd you'd need them doing on a focus so quickly. I'm very heavy on the brakes in mine too.

Soldato
I paid for the 5 year warranty on my car but that wouldn't includes wear & tear items like the disc pads
I managed to get Audi to replace the rear disks on my A3 under warranty when they claimed they needed doing on the cars first MOT. I'd done about 46,000 miles and they claimed the disks were severely corroded and were crumbling away. Disks may be a wear and tear item but there is still an argument to be had if they only last a few thousand miles.

Soldato
OP
BMW did the rear disks and pads on my F11 before I bought it as part of the approved used thing and I've done nearly 70,000 miles in it since. I've had to do the front disks and pads but the rear are still going strong.

Seems very odd you'd need them doing on a focus so quickly. I'm very heavy on the brakes in mine too.
Is that mainly motorway driving or 100% driving just around town ?

Soldato
OP
Mainly motorway to be honest, my commute to work is a 90 mile round trip that is mostly motorway. I still do a lot of town driving though but I guess if you do 99% town driving it could make a big difference.
I live in guernsey so 90% of my driving is stop & start town driving..My work commute is 2 miles :o with 3 sets of traffic lights and lots of stop & go :(

Only done around 600miles in the UK in my car

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure I've only had to change the rear pads once in the ~62k miles I've covered in my Golf. I do a lot of motorway/dual carriageway driving though and am not hard on the brakes anyway.

Associate
I installed Brembo discs and pads all round on my Subaru once i bought it - that was 4+ years ago and i recently checked them and they are fine over 30k miles later...and quite some heavy driving involved.

discs and pads should last longer than 14k miles...

Permabanned
I installed Brembo discs and pads all round on my Subaru once i bought it - that was 4+ years ago and i recently checked them and they are fine over 30k miles later...and quite some heavy driving involved.

discs and pads should last longer than 14k miles...

He said pads not discs

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
My wife’s old mini used to chew through rear pads for some reason, we’ll not terrible but 3 sets in 40k miles over 4 years (had the car from new) , with majority of that mileage being motorway.

Apparently they seem to be known for it, or at least it’s a relatively common issue on them :/

Associate
Front wheel drive 2016 Mk3.5 focus ST

I have a 66 plate Mondeo that got an advisory on it's last service for the rear brake disks being relatively low, and I'm just coming up to 35,000 miles. Whilst I've not owned it from new theres nothing to indicate in the service book that they've ever been done before and given the amount of corision on them I'm relatively confident there original. I can't fathom how your similair era car could have got through them so quick unless you really do drive it hard.

It might be worth measurung the disks with a caliper yourself to check they truly do need doing?

Soldato
Or a focus but the
Very similar mk5 mondeo

100k on factory fitted pads. 30k on “ford” motor craft pads. And then back to 100k on the next set of proper ford pads

have a look and see what they say on them

Back
Top Bottom