Factorio on steam

Associate
Factorio has to be one of the most addictive games I've played. A couple of years ago I remember spending a month solely trying to build up fairly complex logic circuits to automate flow control of everything, until I realised the game is too deadly a time sink and went cold turkey with it. Not had that occur since the early years of World of Warcraft. I still stare at the Desktop shortcut from time to time wondering if I dare touch it again. Fantastic game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every time that I have thought about playing this game, first bought in 2016, I get overwhelmed after watching some tutorials and move on to something else.
After the 1.x launch I thought about taking another look, as there are a few more tutorials just started on YT to coincide with the recent launch from EA, yup still overwhelmed..!

Associate
Just go in and smash stuff down, you'll find you'll end up moving/reworking stuff eventually anyway so mistakes will happen.

At it's core,(unless it's all changed since I last played)

Mines go on ores, initial mines require manual feeding with coal as they aren't electric. Make a wooden crate and dump it on the output of the mine.
Find some water for your steam power, you'll need an offshore pump (to get the water), a boiler (burns something) and a steam engine (uses the steam). Dump a power pole/s down to cover them. This will create power.
You should, IIRC, be able to make your first powered mines by hand without assemblers, then dump some down and wire them up to a power grid using power poles.
Then build assemblers to automate building, and research stations to start researching better stuff.

Apart from that it's mostly - how do I get stuff a,b,c and d to 'building' to make what I want.

Soldato
^^^Thanks for the simplification. I'll note that.
Sometimes that's what is needed, just get on with it rather than trying to make too much sense of how others are playing.

Associate
^^^Thanks for the simplification. I'll note that.
Sometimes that's what is needed, just get on with it rather than trying to make too much sense of how others are playing.

"Katherine Of Sky" does a very good tutorial on Factorio. Be warned though, I followed what she was doing awhile back and ended up playing for over 100 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4o6UvJIdPNpTpKrROWTePBP1VyYBfRAD

I have just started playing from scratch again, now that it is officially released. Following this guys videos to get back into it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV3rF--heRVuow5t-JJSoJAwr9vCttxDr

I really like what he does with a grid system and trains (in other videos on his channel) - think I'll be doing that in this playthrough.

Soldato
"Katherine Of Sky" does a very good tutorial on Factorio. Be warned though, I followed what she was doing awhile back and ended up playing for over 100 hours!

I have just started playing from scratch again, now that it is officially released. Following this guys videos to get back into it:

I really like what he does with a grid system and trains (in other videos on his channel) - think I'll be doing that in this playthrough.

lol, nothing wrong with the first 100 hours of any game, its the other 900 or so where I start to mix RL up with the game...!! :D

Thanks for the links, is the KOS series just as relevant to the version 1 release, I see hers start last year....?

Associate

I watched some of her oxygen not included stuff previously and thought it was pretty good IIRC, so I'd +1 that suggestion!

lol, nothing wrong with the first 100 hours of any game, its the other 900 or so where I start to mix RL up with the game...!! :D

Thanks for the links, is the KOS series just as relevant to the version 1 release, I see hers start last year....?
The basics won't have changed too much, if at all, IMHO. Then it's just a case of learning what gets built where. I don't think you need to make pickaxes anymore.

Soldato
I would second the above opinions, but add a caution that it can somewhat suck the soul out of the experience a bit just following along exactly with someone who has already optimised the experience. If you're really stuck trying to get started then following a guide to get going may be okay but by then I'd suggest you have enough of an idea to start experimenting for yourself. For example I am sure KoS gets the very initial setup done and then chucks down a very optimised off-the-shelf blueprint for a "mall" which builds all the common items. Very neat! But it may be more fun trying to work out how to automate that stuff for yourself

Soldato
I watched some of her oxygen not included stuff previously and thought it was pretty good IIRC, so I'd +1 that suggestion!

The basics won't have changed too much, if at all, IMHO. Then it's just a case of learning what gets built where. I don't think you need to make pickaxes anymore.

Thanks, Oxygen not included is another I've yet to play.!

I would second the above opinions, but add a caution that it can somewhat suck the soul out of the experience a bit just following along exactly with someone who has already optimised the experience. If you're really stuck trying to get started then following a guide to get going may be okay but by then I'd suggest you have enough of an idea to start experimenting for yourself. For example I am sure KoS gets the very initial setup done and then chucks down a very optimised off-the-shelf blueprint for a "mall" which builds all the common items. Very neat! But it may be more fun trying to work out how to automate that stuff for yourself

Good points, thanks. It is more of an overview of what is what that I'm interested in. Part of the fun is the discovery and playing it with your own style.
Saying that by doing it my own way probably explains why I never climbed the rankings in the Civ games, in terms of start difficulty. I preferred my own more random approach than "playing with exactness and precision".

Soldato
saw this MOD and thought it migh interest people:
Story Missions - [Scenario Pack]

havent heard much about the offical expanion stuff at the moment but worth an eye for those still playing/interested

editted to make clearer this is a mod and not paid expansion

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still playing, might be my favourite game of all time at this point
Am about 3 full days into a run with the popular pairing of overhaul mods:

Krastorio 2: which changes a lot of the vanilla game adding more complicated recipes with more byproducts, and replaces the "science packs" with "tech cards" that have different new recipes

and

Space Exploration: which massively expands the end game adding a whole galaxy of other planets you can travel to by rocket and eventually you set up interplanetary logistics with rockets and spaceships with tons of new science research to do

It's been an absolute blast so far and I haven't even gotten to space yet :D

Back
Top Bottom