New Rear Disc Pads after 13500 miles

Soldato
Or a focus but the
Very similar mk5 mondeo

100k on factory fitted pads. 30k on “ford” motor craft pads. And then back to 100k on the next set of proper ford pads

have a look and see what they say on them

Associate
I have a 66 plate Mondeo that got an advisory on it's last service for the rear brake disks being relatively low, and I'm just coming up to 35,000 miles. Whilst I've not owned it from new theres nothing to indicate in the service book that they've ever been done before and given the amount of corision on them I'm relatively confident there original. I can't fathom how your similair era car could have got through them so quick unless you really do drive it hard.

It might be worth measurung the disks with a caliper yourself to check they truly do need doing?

Just realised I'm a muppet and your taking about pads. Never heard anyone refer to them as disc pads before and I think my brain jsut read it as discs!

Soldato
OP
Just realised I'm a muppet and your taking about pads. Never heard anyone refer to them as disc pads before and I think my brain jsut read it as discs!
I call them rear disc pads due to if i just called them rear brake pads then some people may think i mean rear brake shoes as most cars have rear drum brakes..

Soldato
Something is wrong with the car, or the advice you've been given - there's no way on earth you should be using rear pads at a rate of a set every 13500 miles. Can you ask to see the old rear pads? I think they've done you over.

At that rate, an average mile driver is going to be looking at a set of rear brake pads almost every year, and likely be changing the brake pads more frequently than the tyres!

Soldato
15 Plate Skoda Superb (DSG) 76k and still.on original rear disks and pads.

Had to change front pads and disks around 2k ago.

Caporegime
Surely use pattern is more relevant than mileage.

@chaparral has done 13,500 miles in four years and 90% of his driving is stop and start town driving.

In four years someone else could have done 100,000 mainly motorway miles and used their brakes less.

Soldato
I reckon 4 years on the rears is fair enough for a change of pads, regardless of mileage. At least the sliders can be cleaned and relubed, and the piston can be retracted, which in my opinion will make everything less likely to seize /stick. The garage said 15% meat left on them so what's all the fuss about?

If someone knows a lot about a 3.5 focus St and can definitively say what effect traction control and cruise control have in the rears, and factor in OP's use of the car, maybe they can give an informed opinion, but simply comparing the rear pad wear of completely different cars is pointless.

Soldato
I reckon 4 years on the rears is fair enough for a change of pads, regardless of mileage. At least the sliders can be cleaned and relubed, and the piston can be retracted, which in my opinion will make everything less likely to seize /stick. The garage said 15% meat left on them so what's all the fuss about?

Maybe incorrectly but given no mention otherwise, I had assumed in the same time period he hasn't required front pads. It'd be odd to wear rear pads down to 15% without having done the fronts in, even if they are used for TC/ESP etc. especially so on a car the OP says is hardly ever driven hard.

Back
Top Bottom