Car washing without a driveway?

Soldato
I dont have anywhere i can wash my car either with a pressure washer or hose and i really dont want to put my car through a supermarket car wash.

I've found this self service jet wash place near me that i'm going to check out but i've no idea if they'll get aggro if i rock up with a couple of buckets, a sponge, wheel brushes etc.

I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation and what, if any, solution you have found?

Soldato
OP
Don't have anywhere period, or don't have anywhere you can easily get a hose and power to?

There are battery powered pressure washers that'll run off a coke bottle/bucket/canister of water.

I hadn't thought of battery powered pressure washers. I might be able to find somewhere near my house i could use one but it's so busy i might not be able to avoid splashing other cars.

Soldato
Have an ask around with local car groups. I take mine to a local detailer and he does "maintenance" details for as little as £10 - £15 when he's got a quiet day. As much as I used to love washing my car every other weekend myself I've not got the time for it now so paying someone £15 works better for me.

Soldato
I’m in the same situation and just use a machine. Not ideal but then I drive a very average hatchback so it doesn’t really matter.

Soldato
Get yourself a Worx Hydroshot brushless pressure washer. Comes with a 4Ah battery, a one hour fast charger and a hose to drop into any water supply nearby
Battery lasts 2-3 washes for an Abarth and does a decent job

Alternative is to use many of the waterlesh wash/waxes available. Not perfect, but better than most of the "Hand Wash" places

Soldato
Problem I find with the buy time jet washes is the bay is usually full of mud. They should stop slap heads from rocking up in their ****** Hilux/Ranger type vehicles just to clean mud off.

Soldato
I used to have this issue when I lived in an apartment. I went to the DIY jetwash place as you said and took a bucket, mitt and a drying towel. Never had any issues.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Get yourself a Worx Hydroshot brushless pressure washer. Comes with a 4Ah battery, a one hour fast charger and a hose to drop into any water supply nearby
Battery lasts 2-3 washes for an Abarth and does a decent job

Alternative is to use many of the waterlesh wash/waxes available. Not perfect, but better than most of the "Hand Wash" places

Showroom Shine I've found pretty decent - but I usually end up with using water as well (also kind of expensive as it doesn't go far if you do a proper job and have a bigger vehicle).

Associate
Not when the next person who uses the bay has to trod on a load of mud to wash their car. Even some forecourt jet wash bays I've seen have signs up saying no muddy vehicles.

Can honestly say I've never seen this, surely it would be like restaurants having signs up saying "no hungry people"?

In regards to the OP, do you categorically need a hose? Whilst I struggle to find the time to do it now when I used to do the full two bucket method / polish / clay etc on my MX5 I couldnt get to it with a hose either and I just put in the elbow grease by hand instead. To give it a rinse over to stop streaks etc I just used a watering can then towel dried it. Whilst I couldn't use things like snow foam etc I was still able to get a decent result

Associate
I remember seeing this promoted which I thought might be a little better than the manual labour pressure washer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WG625...ortable+pressure+washer&qid=1597652239&sr=8-3

Alternatively I used to just bring buckets with me to my nearest petrol station and just use the jet wash for rinsing,bring bucket,shampoo and any other detailing gear with you. Just politely tell anyone that is waiting behind you might be a while, just move car back in a parking bay to towel dry it.

Soldato
The jet washes in petrol stations are usually what I use if I can't do it at home - just stay away from the brushes and keep a couple of bits in the car you can use (wheel cleaner, maybe a sponge and a spray cleaner or something).

Also, if your car has some sort of protection on it (Wax, Sealant, Coating etc) it washes off much easier too. I tend to just hose down the daily drivers over the winter.

Soldato
Problem I find with the buy time jet washes is the bay is usually full of mud. They should stop slap heads from rocking up in their ****** Hilux/Ranger type vehicles just to clean mud off.

Local jetwash to me recently took local plod to court for damages & Plod settled out of court. Plod had been chasing off-roaders all day on their off-road bikes (4 of them) and decided to use the jetwash rather than going back to base (because they knew what would happen).

Consequently all the mud and crap from their bikes utterly clogged the jetwash drains to the point it took drain experts best part of a day to fix (allegedly). The jetwash was out of action for 3 days in total so they filed a claim for repair costs and lost earnings.

Back
Top Bottom