First car

Permabanned
My first car was an M reg Clio 16v - The proper one with the bonnet bulge etc. Couldn’t afford the Williams. God that car was brilliant. Until it broke. Which was a lot. But when it ran well it was a little rocket and rare as hens teeth.

no way a first driver could insure something like that these days sadly

I had one too and fitted a giant pipercross filter sounded a beast at redline lol

Associate
Hi all,

Me & my dad are looking at cars to get me later this year at some point in the 5k bracket.

So far, I've taken a real liking to the 0.9 Clio Dynamique model and ticks most boxes and is reasonable to insure etc.

Does anyone else have any suggestions that we might not have thought of?

Needs to be economical as im starting an apprenticeship as a housing officer so money will be relatively tight.

I'm 24, so a bit of a late starter to the driving world but better late then never!

Thanks all :)

cant go wrong with a Honda Jazz..EX trim and you are pretty well pampered too

Soldato
I had one too and fitted a giant pipercross filter sounded a beast at redline lol

so did i hahah! Sounded bloody amazing!
I was going out my my now wife at the time - she wasn’t overly impressed when I drove quickly around corners in the rain as the sunroof used to leak so she had to have a tea towel wherever we went over her legs

Caporegime
Just wanted to add some info regarding insurance costs.

1st, I would compare prices yourself - I was advised a lot to get a cheap first car as insurance would be less.

2nd my insurance on a £7K fiesta as my first car in an area that isn’t that cheap on insurance was £900 per annum. In comparison, a £1.5k car would have cost me £790 with the same excess and policy. Cheaper, but then this year, I got the cost down to £600 and without a black box, and I’ve got a very nice motor.

I would do the comparisons yourself - you may find that because you’re a little older, the costs won’t be that high.
Cheap cars can be written off ‘cheaply’. A £2k car can be written off for £1200- 1400 in repair costs, often less. A £6k car could be repaired for £3k in costs, costing the insurance company more. This is why sometimes a newer and more expensive car can be more to insure.

Back
Top Bottom