Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2020, Bareclona - Race 6/?

Rate the 2020 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Most teams build a car that both drivers can drive.

I simply don't buy the idea that it makes this much difference. Sure, you can set up a car a bit more or less to a particular driver's preferences but a good car is a good car, and a bad one is a bad one. It doesn't make second best car to midfield difference.

RB has always done this. Just look at the past.

There has never been a gulf like this before. Even Gasly last year was closer than this.

Soldato
I simply don't buy the idea that it makes this much difference. Sure, you can set up a car a bit more or less to a particular driver's preferences but a good car is a good car, and a bad one is a bad one. It doesn't make second best car to midfield difference.

There has never been a gulf like this before. Even Gasly last year was closer than this.

You have a bad memory.

Gasly got lapped by max a few times when they was in the same team.
Why do you think RB ditched him? for the fun of it!

To me RB knew they wouldn't win the WCC.
So they went all in for the WDC.

Gasly went back to his old team and has done well.

This explains things. Helmut Marko
""Our task is to help him feel confident(Gasly) in the car, but at the same time, we cannot deviate too much from what we know are the main strengths of our car."

https://drivetribe.com/p/marko-gasl...KzFPREKae_wCRAz6-Q?iid=dKrRoCyPSIuD-V0DVAkczw

Caporegime
Gasly got lapped by max a few times when they was in the same team.

It's true that Gasly was lapped twice, in Austria and in Hungary, but he was also closer in Qualifying. Albon, so far this season has averaged 0.547s slower than Verstappen - and even that is flattered by a couple of times that Max got out of Q2 on a slower tyre and Albon wasn't able to do it on a faster tyre. Last season it was an equally whopping 0.539s. Gasly averaged 0.365s slower than Max during their time together last year - bad, but much more in the range of teammate comparisons you expect.

Why do you think RB ditched him? for the fun of it!

Oh Gasly did very badly at RB. They need someone who can do better in that seat; Albon is not that driver.

Gasly went back to his old team and has done well.

Yeah, he's bounced back extremely well. I hope he can find a good drive somewhere.

Soldato
It's true that Gasly was lapped twice, in Austria and in Hungary, but he was also closer in Qualifying. Albon, so far this season has averaged 0.547s slower than Verstappen - and even that is flattered by a couple of times that Max got out of Q2 on a slower tyre and Albon wasn't able to do it on a faster tyre. Last season it was an equally whopping 0.539s. Gasly averaged 0.365s slower than Max during their time together last year - bad, but much more in the range of teammate comparisons you expect.

Oh Gasly did very badly at RB. They need someone who can do better in that seat; Albon is not that driver.

Yeah, he's bounced back extremely well. I hope he can find a good drive somewhere.

I have already pointed out to you that the car is designed around max.
I even gave you a link to read saying the same.

Max even said that RB picked Albon because he has a similar driving style.
No matter who RB put in that car, Max will always do a better job.

Where as Merc\Racing point and other have not done this. It shows this in the results and lap times.

Caporegime

Max even said that RB picked Albon because he has a similar driving style.
No matter who RB put in that car, Max will always do a better job.

Where as Merc\Racing point and other have not done this. It shows this in the results and lap times.

I also don't believe this can make that much difference. He's just another ok driver.

Man of Honour
The F2 and F3 races were far better.

Its also good that there's 2x of each race over the course of a weekend; double the excitement!
Your right though - I'm enjoying watching these guys race more than F1 these days; I also seem to find myself rooting for some of those guys (Mick Schumacher mainly); something I almost don't care about in F1 anymore

Caporegime

No-one has denied this. What is disputed is that - despite every team tuning their cars to their drivers - the only time you see a gulf in pace between like that between Max and Albon is when the second driver is performing badly.

I'm sorry, I missed the link you edited in. It also says this:

"Our task is to help him feel confident in the car, but at the same time, we cannot deviate too much from what we know are the main strengths of our car." And, if you don't speak F1, that basically means that Gasly's excuses are worthless.​

Not sure that really supports your case, does it?

Caporegime
I also seem to find myself rooting for some of those guys (Mick Schumacher mainly); something I almost don't care about in F1 anymore

I also find myself rooting for Mick, I'm not really sure why. I also like Tsunoda and Zhou - both seem to be exciting drivers. I'm looking forwards to seeing some of these guys coming through to F1 as well.

Man of Honour
I also find myself rooting for Mick, I'm not really sure why. I also like Tsunoda and Zhou - both seem to be exciting drivers. I'm looking forwards to seeing some of these guys coming through to F1 as well.

Its funny because I was ever a Michael fan in his Ferrari days (I was rooting for Coulthard to win a title!!); but I grew to like him a bit more when he came back.
Yeah Tsunoda much be a decent shout for Alpha Tauri next season; especially with the Honda connection;

Caporegime
Have the race a 5/10 simply for the spicy midfield action. Up front it was dull. We really shouldn’t be testing here. The teams are so dialled in it makes for a boring race.

Apparently when the teams were packing up at around 5Pm it was absolutely pouring with rain. Typical really.

Soldato
I don't think the fact that they test here is anything to do with it really, you just can't overtake. There wasn't even *that* many DRS passes down the main straight, those that did happen seemed to mostly be cars that have pitted for fresh tyres coming past much slower cars.

As others have said, dull race. Even the highlights were dull on C4!

Soldato
These tyre condition reports they have now can't be particularly accurate, where are they getting their data from? How do they know one wheel is at 40% while the other is at 10 say? They must just be taking a best guess? Seems a bit pointless to me.

It seems to make even less sense than that, the figures are how well the tyre is performing not the life/condition left in the tyres.

Soldato
2/10 That was a really boring race as it usually is here. I actually feel asleep and only caught the podium. This is another track I would like to see removed from the calendar as it does not promote good racing.

Was a bit of a shocker that the gap between 3rd and 4th was over 100 seconds for the last 20 or so laps.

Soldato

They said in commentary that the strategy really hurt Albon this week. They put him on the slower, hard tyre early in the race around cars on faster mediums and softs. I'm not saying that that is the only reason he was so far behind but it was certainly a big factor in it.

Also, do we think anything will come of Leclerc driving 2 laps without his seat belts on? Not sure if it's already been mentioned

Soldato
Because he done an Irvine, got out and push-started the car?
First I’ve heard of this
Removed his belts ready to get out of the car, the team told him to try one more time and it worked:

“I tried to start the engine after the issue and it was not starting. So I took off the seatbelt getting ready to get out. But they asked me to try one last time, and the last time it actually worked again. Then I had no seat belts so I had to stop.”

Over team radio, Leclerc said he wouldn’t have minded continuing without belts, but admitted he was moving forward under braking and was “pretty sure somebody wouldn’t be happy with me driving without seatbelts”, at which point Ferrari boxed him immediately.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...issue-and-undoing.1zWydJzlDhzjxvS6SUQOHe.html

Caporegime
They said in commentary that the strategy really hurt Albon this week. They put him on the slower, hard tyre early in the race around cars on faster mediums and softs. I'm not saying that that is the only reason he was so far behind but it was certainly a big factor in it.

I'm not convinced it was much of a factor at all. Albon was slow on the softs, slow on the hards, and then slow on the mediums. Compare his pace to, say, Norris and Stroll, and you don't see much difference in his performance on the Hard tyre and his performance on the Medium tyre. They were both bad. So I don't think putting him on to a set of used mediums (he didn't have a second new set) would have made any real difference to where he came, although he might - perhaps - have got passed Vettel to finish 7th, I can't see it radically changing his dismal race.

Also, do we think anything will come of Leclerc driving 2 laps without his seat belts on? Not sure if it's already been mentioned

It seems pretty serious, really, doesn't it?

(Edit) This seems relevant: Radio audio from Leclerc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom