• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 590 Crashing

Associate
Well the great news than it seems to be functioning normally; enjoy. I mean you have 1 year warranty, if it resurfaces then you can always RMA it later on.

Associate
So I have an update....
After trying everything from Drivers, Fresh install of Windows 10, changing registry keys and adding switches to games to force settings something strange has happened....

I was going to call Overclockers to see if they had any advice or if it could be returned and I thought I would put it back in my PC to double check and.... it seems to be working fine after an just over an hours play this morning trying a few games.
The only thing that has changed is last night I did the large windows update to take me to the 2004 version of windows 10. This morning working fine so far. Can a windows update really fix the issues I was having, seems strange to me.

Do you mean you physically removed and reinstalled the card and power cables?
If so I'd say something was loose before....

Associate
OP
Do you mean you physically removed and reinstalled the card and power cables?
If so I'd say something was loose before....
I put it back in as I had an old card in to check with my system. I had removed and reinstalled a few times during testing so it was not a loose cable. As it happens the issue may still be there, I thought I was out of the woods because it would happen within a couple of minutes of playing. However the issue is still there but happening after about 30 minutes. Games i am playing just freeze and then close to windows and an error saying the driver has reset and recovered.

Soldato
I found RX 590s to be absolute terrible GPU's, the worst experience I have ever had in all my years building PC's. I bought 1 for a friends PC, it died within 2 months, sent back to OCUK who then had to send to Powercolor as it was outside warranty and they just couldn't just replace. Finally got a replacement one 5 weeks after it was sent off to Tiawan, only to find that one died again within 4 weeks and OCUK no longer would replace so they refunded.

Associate
OP
I found RX 590s to be absolute terrible GPU's, the worst experience I have ever had in all my years building PC's. I bought 1 for a friends PC, it died within 2 months, sent back to OCUK who then had to send to Powercolor as it was outside warranty and they just couldn't just replace. Finally got a replacement one 5 weeks after it was sent off to Tiawan, only to find that one died again within 4 weeks and OCUK no longer would replace so they refunded.
Funny you say that as it was only a couple months ago I sent my brothers new 590 (from a different supplier) back for similar issues and they just refunded it. So bought a 1660 Super instead for him and had no issues with it.

Associate
Funny you say that as it was only a couple months ago I sent my brothers new 590 (from a different supplier) back for similar issues and they just refunded it. So bought a 1660 Super instead for him and had no issues with it.
Hello,

I have an RX590, it worked fine for ages.. until I watched some JayzTwoCents videos and heard running your card cooler and around the same temperature would gain stability and performance, what I found is this card would thermal throttle with the default fan setup curve, if I tweak the curve to be more aggressive... ie keep the card cooler I'd get crashes, it turns out the card can only really run at the 1565mhz for short spells or blips, if it runs at that for a long time it starts showing artifacts or just black screens.

The stock speeds rated by AMD for this card are only (Base Frequency 1469 MHz Boost Frequency Up to 1545 MHz) even these are high for this card and would probably want more juice.... power... watts.

sum it up run the card underclocked and undervolted with a more aggressive fan curve may help with temps and performance, I'm still tinkering for a sweat spot with mine.

Associate
wow..... 2020...

Update though... Pretty sure I've cracked it with mine, found the sweet spot, it took some time but im gaming again now, the odd this is its getting a higher score now in 3DMark, even with an underclock.

It seems like the stock clock speed is a little too much, but another thing I spotted using GPU-Z was the card randomly spikes to 1.55mv, I think this is way over its limit.

Here's my settings

Core:
1550mhz
Mem: 2100 (not really tried pushing this yet)
Power limit: +50

Frequency MHz / Volts mV
0 300/0.750
1 909/0.850
2 1154/1.05
3 1286/1.150
4 1440/1.150
5 1550/1.150
6 1550/1.150
7 1550/1.150

State 3 was 1286/2.06, not sure why and I've found having the last 3 states set the same seems to stop fluctuation and keeps things stable

Fan Profile
40% @30
70% @50
100% @60

Back
Top Bottom