*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Quite. The "pitmaster's" advice seems to be "have a bit of steak, and a bit chicken, and cook it carefully".

Not sure it needed a "pitmaster" to tell anyone that.

Soldato
Found a local wholesale butcher that started to do retail during lockdown and the meat has been spot on so far. I looked on their website and they only do frozen chicken wings which I’m not sure of? I asked about them and they said they supply some of the bars in town that do wing nights and I’ve ate plenty without complaint!

Has anyone had frozen chicken wings before? I was planning on getting a load on the vortex for the Champions League final but unsure whether to give them a go or go for fresh?

Caporegime
Found a local wholesale butcher that started to do retail during lockdown and the meat has been spot on so far. I looked on their website and they only do frozen chicken wings which I’m not sure of? I asked about them and they said they supply some of the bars in town that do wing nights and I’ve ate plenty without complaint!

Has anyone had frozen chicken wings before? I was planning on getting a load on the vortex for the Champions League final but unsure whether to give them a go or go for fresh?

As long as they're defrosted properly I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

Associate
bjMBuMk.jpg
My first ever smoke turned out really well and was a big hit at my friends bbq. These are pork belly burnt ends smoked to howtobbqrights recipe: 2.5 hours with just the bbq rub then 1.5 hours covered in a tray with honey and brown sugar before finishing them off uncovered with a glaze for 10 mins.
I only got 2 pieces so I'll have to make another batch next weekend.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
My first ever smoke turned out really well and was a big hit at my friends bbq. These are pork belly burnt ends smoked to howtobbqrights recipe: 2.5 hours with just the bbq rub then 1.5 hours covered in a tray with honey and brown sugar before finishing them off uncovered with a glaze for 10 mins.
I only got 2 pieces so I'll have to make another batch next weekend.
They look ever so good, I've had that recipe pinned in Chrome but haven't gotten round to trying it yet! Did you use the rub they suggest in the recipe (Killer Hog The BBQ) or use something else?

Associate
They look ever so good, I've had that recipe pinned in Chrome but haven't gotten round to trying it yet! Did you use the rub they suggest in the recipe (Killer Hog The BBQ) or use something else?
The have their own bbq rub recipe on their website. I made it to the same quantities and it filled a 250g black peppercorn tub, which has those wide perforations, perfect for sprinkling not too heavy.

https://howtobbqright.com/2019/03/29/bbq-rub-recipe/

They were so bloody good! One of the guests at the bbq gave me a couple of slabs of pork belly leftover in his freezer from a whole hog. It would e shame to let up off in the video it's on the menu tomorrow. The family is over the moon.

Associate
MiFv8Be

sMwSV4a.jpg It's lashing it down today but I have to smoke that pork belly. The makeshift cover seems to be working.

I think I might fill the recess on the lid with a vermiculite/cement mix. It will first insulate the smoker and second, if I shaped it into a slight dome, it would stop water pooling in the recess. It might make the lid a bit heavy though.

Soldato
Hi All,

We have been a bit quiet in here recently :)

I'm heading on holiday next Friday (UK of course) and was thinking of taking a smoked pulled pork joint with me.

Has anyone got experience they can share about freezing and later reheating pulled pork?

Many thanks in advance

Associate
Hi All,

I'm heading on holiday next Friday (UK of course) and was thinking of taking a smoked pulled pork joint with me.

Has anyone got experience they can share about freezing and later reheating pulled pork?

Many thanks in advance

Do you have access to a vacuum sealer? Great for portioning up bbq, and you can Chuck it in a pan of boiling water from frozen for perfect results.

Associate
Hi All,

Many thanks in advance

Use a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. Make sure to put as much of the sauce as possible in the bag.

Soldato
Do you have access to a vacuum sealer? Great for portioning up bbq, and you can Chuck it in a pan of boiling water from frozen for perfect results.

Use a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. Make sure to put as much of the sauce as possible in the bag.

Thanks both,

I do have a vacuum sealer and/or the Ikea sandwich bags.

I usually let people add their own sauce when popping it a bun, however i get why you said it. My heinz bottled BBQ sauce might not do the job

Soldato
Splashed out on a new BBQ this week, went gas for the first time and not really sure what it's capable of. Always had charcoal BBQs previously but was swung by the convenience factor. Not cheap but hope it should last:

Probably sacrilege but went with pizza for the first go and really impressed with the result!

The later ones we did we went a bit thinner on the base and they were perfect.

We have weber gas bbq as well, never tried pizza on it, will have to give it a go myself, did you just put the pizza straight on the bbq grate, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Caporegime
We have weber gas bbq as well, never tried pizza on it, will have to give it a go myself, did you just put the pizza straight on the bbq grate, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

No we used a pizza stone, one like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCook-Pi...ocphy=9041121&hvtargid=pla-361341669063&psc=1

Preheated the BBQ as hot as it would go, my wife made the dough so not sure of the recipe, it was really wet so we rolled it out on baking paper, put the topping on then chucked it on the BBQ. Took the paper out about half way through as it starts to burn, by that point the dough is dry and won't stick to the pizza stone, finished them off with another few minutes and they were really good.

Back
Top Bottom