The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Man of Honour
RGT has had its update now, still Free but also some paid features, they have also reduced the sub :)

And this is why I really want to use RGT - it seems like they "get it," whereas Zwift are making their VC shareholders all the money in the world.

I just wish RGT had a better user experience for initial setup...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just follow the instructions and vidoes with the app, the confusion is generally which trainer setting to use either ant+ or BT. I must admit it took me 15mins to get it up and running but since then its been great.

Soldato
With RGT Premium now being roughly half the price of Zwift at £6.99 vs £12.99 pcm, plus that ominous questionaire Zwift put out recently screaming "incoming price hike" it could be a good time to give RGT another go.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The only downside of RGT is you need a decent PC to run it at ultra, most folk complain it is laggy as they are trying to run at max eye candy on poor hardware, zwift looks crap no matter what hardware you have :)

Soldato
Great finish, Roady... After all that other work, too. :eek::cool:

To hit 10w/kg I'd have to crank out 900W (I can do that very easily fresh, but not after (even the first ten minutes of) the rest of that course! :o
I'm surprised I had it in me to be honest, but when you look at the data/power/HR after the drop from the Jungle I had a massive recovery time (for a race!). Large sections of that below 200W is really good recovery territory (for me!)

After a week off in Crete with zero cycling and not really that much exercise to combat the copious amounts of all inclusive food & drink tonights Turbocharged is going to be a brute. Will be around 30 degrees too! Part of me wants to skip it as conditions are not great... But equally thrashing myself is exactly what I need right now to get back into things without a huge loss of motivation/power/fitness/form! :o

Good to see you doing B cat @Roady, getting involved and looking good.

First Zwift in a while due to the heavy rain. Zwift is hard!

Never been up Keith Hill, this is also hard. Sat at 320-350w up it either spinning my balls off or out the saddle grinding, staring at my fan rather than the screen.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3864541402/segments/2725804207727147868
Cheers. To be honest that race didn't feel much harder than a CAT C, but then I was finishing back in 40th place rather than the top10 I'd be seeing in C...

Great result. Keith is hard, but I think I prefer it to Box as it has more differences in gradient and less of a slog. Steeper too so it's faster. Your effort is still 2 minutes faster than my PR lol :rolleyes:

Zwift is hard!

A reason I might have had a few connection drops is I am using Ethernet over mains power pass through.

Turns out they have some power saving enabled by default, I don’t think this would be an issue with Zwift as it’s transmitting/receiving all the time, but I turned it off to be on the safe side!
I've used them before (Tplink and Netgear ones) when gaming with no issue. HAve not used for Zwifting but wouldn't expect the latency/bandwidth to be an issue, if anything Zwift requirements are far less.

The only downside of RGT is you need a decent PC to run it at ultra, most folk complain it is laggy as they are trying to run at max eye candy on poor hardware, zwift looks crap no matter what hardware you have :)
Pffft! Zwift doesn't look crap, yes it's no patch on looking 'real' like RGT tries, but the engine and models are far better. RGT scenery looks great but the bikes and rider movements are utterly horrible. They look like a school kids modelling project! ;)

I will say that the drop in pricing on RGT would have me tempted if I rode less during the summer and considered dropping my Zwift sub for 6 months or more. I did that a few years back and it worked well, just rode TR trials and Sufferfest the few times I rode. I can't see me doing that now though as Zwift is quite important for me all times of the year to get riding in and continue fitness.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes the pricing of RGT is very good now 6.99 for the full version.

Personally come winter i will be 4-6 months on trainer road and the free version of RGT for some very bad attempts at racing :)

Soldato
I think I am in line to get this Elite steering thing through the shop that sponsors the team for a very cheap price! So going to get it and give it a go. No idea when I will get it in my hands but as soon as I do I will let you boys know what it's like.

Soldato
WTRL last night with 3R Fall Out Boy. Tough course and missing one of our usual leads. Hot/humid conditions but a fantastic ride! :D

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1003105
https://www.strava.com/activities/3908835874

<<<ride report to follow>>>

I think I am in line to get this Elite steering thing through the shop that sponsors the team for a very cheap price! So going to get it and give it a go. No idea when I will get it in my hands but as soon as I do I will let you boys know what it's like.
Do it! So much chatter about them at the moment and people playing around with them. Actually at the start of 'WTRL' last night saw the 'Steering is disabled for this event' popup for the first time. I don't recall seeing it for Turbocharged, is it new or was it likely people where steering in Turbocharged?! :o

One of my TTT buddies had his delivered yesterday, not heard back from him how it is yet.

Have you come across Jack Polley when racing Turbocharged/others? I had a realisation a few weeks back that I know him and that he is doing amazing on Zwift. He used to live around here and know him from pubbing/clubbing/raving a good few years ago. Know he emigrated to NZ and also when he joined Strava spotted he was doing well TT'ing as well as the MTB'ing I thought was his main thing. But I never really realised he was as strong as that and has become a huge road rider/TT'er now! Even competed in NZ nationals, I guess at TT.

Soldato
We were 6th in PL TTT last night. Down to 5 riders sharpish and I was brutally mauled on Wednesday by my massage therapist so should not have been riding it.... felt dreadful but got round!

It's odd because I got the steering disabled popup for 3R on Tuesday when you didn't... but I didn't get it last night in the TTT when I joined the pen but you did! haha.

2 lads on my team have them. They're first things they said it is real stiff and it always seem to want to self centre itself like quite forcefully which will take some getting used to. Maybe it will "bed in" a bit with use? Honestly not sure when I will get mine, no ETA at all. They'll be like hens teeth for the first while I bet.

I've raced against Jack a few times in 3R and seen him on the Cryo team with Harry Mustard etc. So I definitely know of him. Always catches me out you see the UK/scottish/english flags on ZP and in game but never click that they could actually be in another country and just originate from the country they have on their profile :)

Associate
Decided to do an official vEveresting yesterday.
Can only say it is totally brutal.
Decided on the Alpe. First couple of laps were ok. By the time I’d finished the 4th rep it was starting to hurt.
5, 6 and 7 were a total boring painful grind. Was so relieved to finish 8 knowing I had approx 450m to go.
Decided to do a constant steady set of power and by the end was struggling with that.
@Roady. https://www.strava.com/activities/3923823386

Soldato
I've raced against Jack a few times in 3R and seen him on the Cryo team with Harry Mustard etc. So I definitely know of him. Always catches me out you see the UK/scottish/english flags on ZP and in game but never click that they could actually be in another country and just originate from the country they have on their profile :)
Great ride in PL, brutal to be down to 5 so quickly, but you seem to be thriving off Zwifting at the moment, some great numbers from you... And Sprints! ;) :D

You rate having a massage/abuse? I've never had one in all my time of cycling.

HAha yeah Jack really shouldn't be riding with a British flag anymore, certainly not if he's competing in NZ nationals as fairly sure you'd have to be a NZ Resident for that?!

Mega ride mate, well done! That time on a bike is brutal alone but when you consider doing it stationary on a trainer it's something else. Distraction of TV/music can only account for so much before the pain/uncomfortable-ness really makes trying to watch something a pointless task.

I don't know how @Shadowness has done some of this longer stuff just on a whim, anything over 3 hours and I've really had enough. I think I'd have to do it as an organised event with a bunch of others if I was going to do it - the social aspects would distract me far more than TV shows! :o

Soldato
Great ride in PL, brutal to be down to 5 so quickly, but you seem to be thriving off Zwifting at the moment, some great numbers from you... And Sprints! ;) :D

You rate having a massage/abuse? I've never had one in all my time of cycling.

HAha yeah Jack really shouldn't be riding with a British flag anymore, certainly not if he's competing in NZ nationals as fairly sure you'd have to be a NZ Resident for that?!

I got rinsed in a 1v1 sprint with Kim Little yesterday. 50m more and I reckon I would have got him but I don't think he's even been training much :p

Oh yeah massage is amazing. But there are big difference between a proper deep tissue hammering and a typical sports/swedish massage. I had mine Wednesday and was flat as a pancake for Thursday. Then on Friday I was basically a useless sloth.... A proper 90min battering wrecks you for days but 4-5 days on you really do feel the benefits of it. I get most benefit from the psoas release, glute work and the upper back work. I feel like a new man after it.

I've been to other people for sports massage before and you feel good from it but it is short lived and you'd have to have them way more regular. Proper focused deep tissue once every 4 weeks seems to work very well for me and I can slot it into a 4th slightly easier week (usually) after a bit of a block of training.

Soldato
Turbocharged last night. Tough course with 4 laps of Innsbruckring with the Legsnapper. Ouchy!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1011629
https://www.strava.com/activities/3932732854

I rode well last week (after 10 days off) but after not finding time to ride on the weekend really know I've done nothing to regain my fitness from before. I'd resolved myself to just ride this one and try to be tactical. For me that meant trying to hold the group on the flats and then stretch my legs on the climb as I knew that's where I should be strongest. It's a tough course and knew I was unlikely to be in the front group for more than the first lap or two.

The ramp out the gate was hard, faster than I expected. I was chasing wheels for far longer than I wanted and barely made the front group. Things didn't really ease for much of that first lap which was surprising, but the group was massive, maybe 40 riders of the ~60 starters. So sure enough a tough selection was made the first time up the Legsnapper. The group was smashed to pieces and I found myself one of the many scattered riders chasing. Over the top and on the descent a small group was forming, 1 of the riders being my TTT captain Percy. I pushed the ramp on the descent to catch some riders up front. We ended up in a group of 10 riders so just hung in recovering for the next one. Second time up the Legsnapper Percy and I pushed it and dropped 2 of the group. We nearly split things further but both needed to tuck on the descent to recover and rode the flat/sprint very easy. I felt good on that effort but was unsure if I could repeat it again and hit it harder the last time up. We caught another TTT Teammate (Tom) after he'd nearly popped from the group up front (which had split to 3 at this stage). I made the call to ride the 3rd Legnapper easier and was badly placed as we hit it. Others riders in the group pushed the pace and I got dropped with Percy and another rider. 5s gap by the top and 8s on the descent. I put an effort into the ramp on the descent and we caught Tom who had also been dropped! So from the group of 9, 4 riders had got dropped, 3 of them 3R... As we'd been the ones working on the flat and 2nd climb I really felt guilty about calling the guys to ride the 3rd easier. On the flat and sprint I put in several long pulls drawing the group closer. Within 2s I shouted on Discord for the guys to bridge up as I was toast. I'd about blown up, but with a little ramp on course I'd actually nearly made the group too with my momentum. I went hard and kicked burying myself totally, the guys made the group and I was so close myself but eased knowing the Legsnapper on final lap would blow me out anyway. I was annoyed and kicking myself afterwards that I didn't continue the effort and close that final bit of a gap and worry about the climb afterwards. I rode the rest tempo, just managing gap to chasers to the finish. There was a group of 4-5 and they got within 10s before the Legsnapper, so I pushed on and emptied myself on it to keep away. Only 1 of them was closing the gap towards the finish. The guys up front did well, Percy and Tom only being beaten by 1 of the group. So in a way I'm quite glad I did my domestique duties to get them back in there, even though I sacrificed myself I could have gone deeper and got back on myself. Maybe with a little more form/fitness I would've.

Last edited:
Soldato
Always tough but gotta talk yourself into hanging on, often you’ll be sucked along another 5km before dropping off. That’s a long 5km as a solo rider doing 30kmph compared to the 45 you’d be doing in the bunch.

Zwiftaliser seems to have gone, I was looking for details on what is best to upgrade/what benefit I’ll get from it. My PC has been running super hot over summer, I’ve had the side off to keep temps down!

Do I go for a PSU at the bottom and new case. Will a new cpu/mobo make windows throw a wobbler and need a full reinstall etc!

Soldato
3r turbocharged. Done my best ever indoor 5 sec power for one the primes. Was on it and feeling good..... finish line showed as being 999m away and bam, there it was and counter dropped to 0 from 999.... amazing. So a good race wasted by yet another distance bug. Also, what bam decided to make the sprint START banner the finish line as opposed to the ACTUAL finish line which is like 2km down the road?

Entered a race yesterday at 1600 and ended up racing in the open world among everyone else just riding and there was no rider list on the right to indicate who was in the race. It just showed my name and that was it.

So another count of incompetent moron updates pushed out by Zwift and breaking extremely basic functionality. IT just does my head in. It's like this thing is just a constantly half patched beta product.

Soldato
I got rinsed in a 1v1 sprint with Kim Little yesterday. 50m more and I reckon I would have got him but I don't think he's even been training much :p
Haha wow that's a name I've not heard/seen for a couple of years. Was one of the first big names on one of the 'pro' type race series if I recall many moons ago... Would've been a nice scalp to have! ;) :D

Always tough but gotta talk yourself into hanging on, often you’ll be sucked along another 5km before dropping off. That’s a long 5km as a solo rider doing 30kmph compared to the 45 you’d be doing in the bunch.

Zwiftaliser seems to have gone, I was looking for details on what is best to upgrade/what benefit I’ll get from it. My PC has been running super hot over summer, I’ve had the side off to keep temps down!

Do I go for a PSU at the bottom and new case. Will a new cpu/mobo make windows throw a wobbler and need a full reinstall etc!
Haha yeah and I think that's what annoyed me - I was happy to bury myself for my Teammates to get them back on, as I was annoyed that all 3 of us had been dropped from the group when we really shouldn't have been. We should be smarter than that. But then think I also talked myself into getting them back on, blowing myself up and dropping off. I never thought/expected to be so close to getting back on myself. So when it happened I didn't even consider attempting it. That annoyed me more!

Zwiftalizer is still there - https://zwiftalizer.com/

3r turbocharged. Done my best ever indoor 5 sec power for one the primes. Was on it and feeling good..... finish line showed as being 999m away and bam, there it was and counter dropped to 0 from 999.... amazing. So a good race wasted by yet another distance bug. Also, what bam decided to make the sprint START banner the finish line as opposed to the ACTUAL finish line which is like 2km down the road?
Dan O'Shea. He's series organiser and picked the courses. Admittedly some of the biggest aims this series was to shake things up - Team points, introducing Primes and KOM's to make them more tactical, while also some courses not raced very often and even some with different finishes. I still think there should be a 'Team GC' or something similar so a continued group of regular riders encouraged to compete every week. It feels quite like '1 off' races at the moment.

Was that the finish? The Primes should have been the KOM and the Sprint, only the finish was changed.

Lots of social media (guessing FB) about the change in finish, everyone tried to drum it into the 3R team and still many of them caught out. Good fun and really testing who's on their toes! Not you then! ;)

TTT tonight, you in the PL again?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom