• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Not sure where those numbers are from but going by passmark scores, the 1080Ti was 28% faster than the 980Ti. Obviously there are different benchmarks around and I picked passmark for ease of use but caution has to be taken with percentages because the absolute numbers underlying them can affect the scale of the percentage number.

Yeah I get what you're saying but if you pick a price point (+/- £50) and read across the chart, you'll see what cards you come across. So for example if you start with the 770 at $400 and read across, you get the 970 (+62% perf, $70 cheaper) then the 1070 (+38% perf, $120 more expensive) then the 2060 Super (+22%, $50 cheaper). While it looks like the performance increases are diminishing, they aren't in absolute terms - its about +3-4000 score each iteration.

When new models are slotted in which change the product stack, I think all you can then do really is compare across a price band, at least initially. I do agree that the 1080ti to 2080 Super increment is out of whack with the historical leaps, and out of whack with the leaps in the lower cards in the same generation. That is clearly a hangover from the 1st dud Turing release. Once the 2080 Ti was set, they then couldn't introduce a 2080 S which had the 'right' performance jump because it would have undermined the Ti. That's how I see it.

The numbers are from TPU gaming benchmarks at qHD. I didn't use 1080p(too CPU limited) or 4K(bandwidth limited).

The issue is the performance is there,but its being pushed upwards,in price,and the tiers are going up.

Its pretty much what Apple and Samsung have done with phones too.

Soldato
2080S not a good value proposition at all. BUT it can do some things the 1080Ti can't for all its memory (not a powerful enough core, IMO, to really use 11Gb VRAM) such as modern games e.g. RDR2 users report their 1080Tis getting bogged down 40fps or less where my 2080S gives 60fps+ a lot of the time.

In a Vacuum it is a powerful card, i'm using it for red alert remastered right now lol. But it's pricey and poor value I know that.

Soldato
The numbers are from TPU gaming benchmarks at qHD. I didn't use 1080p(too CPU limited) or 4K(bandwidth limited).

The issue is the performance is there,but its being pushed upwards,in price,and the tiers are going up.

Its pretty much what Apple and Samsung have done with phones too.

I'm happy to do an alternative chart using a different benchmark if the data is available for all the cards we're comparing.

I think it depends on how you view things. If none of these cards had names, you'd naturally compare across the price bands. Why does it matter if the tiers are going up, provided you can still get a hefty performance bump at a specific price point? Who cares if they introduced another 10 tiers above the 2070 and made the Ti a million quid? It only matters if you care more about the name than the performance.

The performance bumps for the 2070 S and 2060 S were really quite good looking at that chart, and at price points consistent with the previous 3 generations. Who cares if they called it the 2060 crap edition as long as it had the jump you wanted?

Doing this exercise tonight has shown me to ignore naming and just look across price bands, and by doing that I'll get more insight into performance jumps at a given price than by just following a naming convention up the generations.

Associate
I again would suggest caution when comparing performance. Going by absolute scores, each generation has typically seen 3000 to 4000 passmark score increases across the upgrade paths. But as numbers get higher, percentages will get smaller for the same absolute increases, hence can be very misleading to use them.

You're right, although in this case I should have made it clear I was referring to overall performance based on Techpowerup's performance summary which seems a decent indicator of general performance deltas due to the number of games covered.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So RTX 3090 for $2000 it seems. It won’t seriously surprise me but even I wasn’t expecting anything above $1500. It seems like a Titan replacement though rather than a 2080 Ti one.
Well if it does end up being true and it is a Titan replacement, it will be fun seeing some who felt £800 to £1200 was acceptable to have “the best gaming GPU” start to moan (seen it happening already) or just give in and buy 2nd or 3rd best in the lineup :D

2080Ti was never the best anyway, that was Titan RTX :p;D:D

As I said many times, I am not bothered how they price their top range, I am happy to see them milk those who have the money and must have the best. As long as price for performance improves in the £400-£500 bracket in a meaningful way. Like if we get around 2080Ti performance with better RT performance in that price range, then you won’t hear any complaints from me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
3xmgyptr3rw11.jpg

Associate
Well if it does end up being true and it is a Titan replacement, it will be fun seeing some who felt £800 to £1200 was acceptable to have “the best gaming GPU” start to moan (seen it happening already) or just give in and buy 2nd or 3rd best in the lineup :D

As I said many times, I am not bothered how they price their top range, I am happy to see them milk those who have the money and must have the best. As long as price for performance improves in the £400-£500 bracket in a meaningful way. Like if we get around 2080Ti performance with better RT performance in that price range, then you won’t hear any complaints from me.

I agree as much as i/we would love the best of the best the price needs to be realistic. £2000 on a gpu is nuts. I even think £1000 is nuts but it is what it is. People pay it so they will do it.

I have a 1070 so if i can get 2080ti perf with better RT at £400/£500 il be on to that. I was hoping for maybe a 80 this time around as i always seem to go for the 70s, 770, 970, 1070 but i suspect thats gonna be near the £800 range which might put the 70s at £600 but we will find out in a couple of weeks.

Im ready to upgrade now so just release the damn things already

Permabanned
bring it on, time for the ti to ti jump :) a bit more perf at 4k will be nice :) hopefully hdmi 2.1 too

This you on the far left? Pale green team, I see. I think the dude far opposite is supposed to be Jensen (leather cloak?) and it seems he's trying to shoot AMD's horse! And just look at AMD's sword: will the next swing be a success or a flop? Oh, and that dude on the black horse is responsible for the famine of quality PC-centric titles, and those scales represent the fact that consoles are more balanced/powerful this gen. Beware..

Q59xp6e.jpg

Man of Honour

I think the 3090 will be the full fat GA102 chip. This will be an expensive card due to the lower yields with a full fat chip.

The Titan when it appears I think will be on the GA100 chip.

Using the pro chips is what NVidia have done for the last two Titans (Volta and Turing).

Back
Top Bottom