Garden Products - Mower, Hedge Trimmer and Strimmer

Associate
Currently have an ageing petrol Husquarvarna Strimmer for tidying up around the garage. Moving to a new house and will have a lawn of around 100m2 plus masses of hedges around the rear boundary, driveway and front of the house.

First thoughts were petrol hedge cutter and petrol mower to compliment the strimmer. More review seems to suggest maybe making the switch to cordless battery?

Happy to spend some money - if I went petrol, it would likely be a Honda Izy mower and a Stihl Hedge Cutter. Electric, I have been eyeing up Makita dual 18v mower (metal deck model) and the duel 18v hedge trimmer. Maybe stretch to Ego.

Not a lot in it cost wise between either setup once battery/charger factored in. Anyone have opinions/experiences? Are the battery mowers up to petrol standards yet?

My 18v set-up tool wise is Milwaukee so will be a fresh system if battery (which I am not against).

Soldato
I did this recently and ended up with the Ryobi 18v+ strimmer, hedge cutter and leaf blower. I used a battery adapter as I already had the Dewalt 18v and a couple of 4ah batteries. But stuck with a plug in mower as I've only got a small lawn. I don't have as much hedging, but I've got some pretty tall trees and bushes that it sliced through with the hedge cutter without the need for a ladder as I got the extender. had to get a proper lopper for an 18ft Bay Tree we have where some had gone a bit crazy and pretty thick branches, but it dealt with everything else, and I've not had any issues with battery running out midway through.

https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/hedge-trimming/hedge-trimmers/rht1855r/oht1855r-1/
https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/blowers-and-vacuums/blowers/rbl18jb/obl18jb-1/
https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/grass-trimming/grass-trimmers/rlt1832/olt1832-1/

Soldato
Now that the high end tool companies all have a garden line I would be reluctant to buy into another battery system. Makita, Ryobi and DeWalt all have pretty extensive ranges now and all use their tool batteries, if you have anything from those brands I'd suggest buying further into them.

Ryobi is probably the best value if your buying new, that said I'm surprised Milwaukee haven't got a garden range yet.

Soldato
Is buy ryobi and use an adaptor to use whatever battery my hand tools use.

ryobi seem to make their money selling the tools cheap and overcharging for batteries.

Associate
I opted for Makita garden machinery because I was already in their eco-system with other battery tools. The dual battery lawnmower is good but can struggle if the grass is long and I try to take to much off in one go. I opted for the plastic body one as it was lighter; I have to go up a bit of a slope. Also have a Makita strimmer (single battery), garden trimmer and chainsaw. I opted for a petrol blower as I have way too many leaves to gather!

I will add get batteries of a capacity of no less than 5Ah and get four of them plus the dual charger. The batteries do get warm when being used and I always let them cool before charging them again.

jcr

jcr

Associate
petrol equipment will cause you more of a headache in the long run. i spent an afternoon stripping cleaning and replacing the fuel lines on a petrol strimmer recently because it wouldnt start after being stored with petrol still in it. plus you have to buy and store fuel and mix it with 2 stroke oil to use.
a lot easier to just plug and play. and a lot less noisy too.

Associate
I recently bought a Stihl battery long reach strimmer which uses their AK series interchangeable battery system.

https://shop.stihl.co.uk/collection...ucts/hla-56-cordless-long-reach-hedge-trimmer

The battery can be ejected and put into any other of the same series tools and also lawn mower so this sounds like what you are looking for.

I saw on some forum about low cost Stihl being made out of Germany in China or somewhere but the sticker on mine still says made in Germany.

Soldato
them honda izy;s are built proof. if you where to get a stihl strimmer/hedge cutters you could get a km56 r and then the hedge cutter and strimmer atachments. or if you want the shorter ones get a hs45

Soldato
them honda izy;s are built proof. if you where to get a stihl strimmer/hedge cutters you could get a km56 r and then the hedge cutter and strimmer atachments. or if you want the shorter ones get a hs45

I still miss the Stihl long reach with the interchangeable brushcutter/hedgecutter head could reach the top of hedges shrubs etc like no other

Soldato
I still miss the Stihl long reach with the interchangeable brushcutter/hedgecutter head could reach the top of hedges shrubs etc like no other

It's what I have. You won't get better than Stihl for garden equipment. I've had 1 Husqvarna chainsaw and it's been rubbish from the get go. Even the original chain was crap. Put astihl chain on and it was better but it had no power and and cuts out when hot. Also a poor starter. Will never buy again.

Back
Top Bottom