Looking for a Vacuum Cleaner.

Caporegime
We have one of the ones with a ball, it was something like £280, and it is utterly crap. The hose is too short, the cord is too short, its made of cheap plastic, things keep snapping off of it, and it is only about 6 or 7 years old.

Meanwhile our Dyson DC01 is 25+ years old and built like a tank.

Caporegime
I don't see why a vacuum cleaner should be £600... A good quality one should be sub £200. What is the world coming to.

You are paying for the latest tech. Especially when cordless, size and weight are completely different from the type of thing you are suggesting.

You cannot get a really good sub £200 cordless vacuum.

You cannot compare 50 year old technologies with leading edge.

You can get a brilliant vacuum sub £100 if you want to. It will be completely different to what a £600 offers in terms of ease of use.

You are paying for the convenience.

jcr

jcr

Associate
a miele with a turbo/pet brush. they have a bag to change but will out perform any cordless vacuum in my opinion. relatively cheap to buy too.

Caporegime
a miele with a turbo/pet brush. they have a bag to change but will out perform any cordless vacuum in my opinion. relatively cheap to buy too.

One of the main requirements is ease of lugging around and up and down the stairs.

How so will the Miele outperform a cordless vacuum on this?

I've just moved from a miele to a cordless shark for this very reason.

jcr

jcr

Associate
One of the main requirements is ease of lugging around and up and down the stairs.

How so will the Miele outperform a cordless vacuum on this?

I've just moved from a miele to a cordless shark for this very reason.
i was referring to the actual vacuuming performance. i just sit the machine upright on the stairs, not an issue for me.

Soldato
We have one of the ones with a ball, it was something like £280, and it is utterly crap.

I replaced my mum's Dyson vacuum (same upright model as the one you described) as it was garbage. I bought a titan vac to replace it and it's great, even more so considering the price. There's no stairs in her place otherwise I would have bought a smaller one like the mieles mentioned here.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i was referring to the actual vacuuming performance. i just sit the machine upright on the stairs, not an issue for me.

Not for me either but it will be for elderly folk, people with disabilities, pregnant partners, children, etc.

It's the main requirement in the OP so I definitely believe ease of use should be the highest priority in this case.

I've also not really seen a noticeable difference going to a shark from the Miele. If anything the shark is better because it's head at the end is so much more advanced than the Miele I have.

Associate
What does she not like about GTECH? They are not the most reliable compared to Miele but i’ve concluded that the best combo is a GTECH upright for everyday vacuuming and a henry for diy jobs or doing the car etc.

The brush bar does get clogged with hair on the GTECH but it is easy to take off and unwrap all the hair. It’s lightweight which is a must for older people to use who have mobility issues.

Soldato
It's the main requirement in the OP so I definitely believe ease of use should be the highest priority in this case.

It can't have been THAT important on their priority list given they bought a 7.5kg upright Dyson :p

An interesting choice next to the 8kg Henry that was too much to lug up and down the stairs.

Associate
Miele C3 with the small turbo brush. Plug it in downstairs and do the first half, plug it in upstairs and do the second half. I do that just before going to vacuum the top floor.
No need to be carrying the vacuum whilst vacuuming.

Associate
Another +1 for the Miele C3. Turbo brush attachment is good for getting up pet hairs. The "Complete C3 Cat & Dog" version comes with a turbo brush, not sure about the other versions. Only negative for me is the cable retract button, you only need to tap once for the cable to fully retract. Sometimes I accidently press it or something hits it, causing the cable to fully retract unless I can stop it. Prefer if I had to hold the button in instead but that is a minor point, other than that its been very good. For stairs I just balance it upright on the stair behind me, never been an issue. The different power settings are also very handy, usually only need it half way or so.

Soldato
I couldn't go cordless again, but I also didn't go Dyson. I just couldn't justify £500 on a hoover, so I was looking at the next best thing and found the Vax Blade Max 2. I think they've got a new version with a detachable battery now, but I can't fault it. Admittedly we don't have a huge area to hoover, but we do have 3 floors and the cordless+performance+price and the fact it doesn't look like it's trying to show off how much I can spend on a hoover made the decision quite easy. This appears to be the new version: https://www.vax.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/onepwr-blade-4-vacuum-cleaner

Soldato
I'm a fan of Miele and Dyson!..

I've had 4 Dysons, the original DC01, then the first Ball, and a v2 cordless and now finally the V11 cordless (Always bought in the sales, even then quite expensive with £160 off!)..
I've also had 2 Miele vacuums I've bought for rented properties and used them quite a bit before/after each tenant..

I like the Miele for the simplicity and longevity, tenants don't treat them with care and they are still working after 7 years..

The Dysons I just rate for their cleaning ability, the V11 cordless is actually the only cordless I've tried that actually does replace the upright for us, loads of power/suction.

What I would say about all vacuums is that most people really clog them up with fine dust and they all lose quite a chunk of performance if you don't strip/clean then every now and again.. The V11 has easily removable/washable filters and I've cleaned it every 3 months and immediately on cleaning it the performance is notably better.. I can't imagine how many people probably never clean them and are missing out on half the performance, same goes for Shark (I clean my mums every time I visit, the before/after performance is staggering).

Personally on a budget the Sharks are fine, but honestly taking new (or newly cleaned) cordless vacuums, the Dyson V11 is really hard to beat, it's very much better than my Mums Shark and even better then our Mieles (Albeit slightly older models).

Each to their own, I have grown accustomed to Dysons plastic look, to be fair it's pretty durable, and refreshingly if we have damaged it through quite bad abuse I've managed to buy spares direct for good prices and found them easy to fit, they look cheap but on disassembling and reassembling they aren't that bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom