**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Definitely sounds like they jumped ahead of themselves from alpha straight to release.

Reading on another forum there is a bit of data mining going on with the program too.

Anyhow about to start downloading the Steam element will be interesting to see how that works in terms of where the files go.

Soldato
Apologies if this has been answered before.

Microsoft have said that those with the basic version will be able to upgrade to include the deluxe content at a later date. Does the game currently give this option and, if so, can individual aircraft be bought or just packs?

You can upgrade to a different edition in game:

EzXBpn5.png

Not sure what the prices are from full price - I'm on game pass.

So I played for about 5 hours yesterday, data usage was around 700mb. Just installed the new Radeon drivers and I'm gonna do my first proper flight now from Southampton to Edinburgh.

Soldato
It's so annoying that you couldn't download this outside the game itself. Is the download bar the one with the plane in the background and nothing else? It doesn't even tell you what it's doing, percentage or rate of download?

EDIT - That wasn't it, just didn't launch properly the first time. Had to close it and restart to get it to start the download. Starting at 8am, lets see what time it finishes :D

EDIT 2 - Keeps closing itself down so uninstalled and trying again. Annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well installing now, Steam element is only about 500Mb which went to the E drive, decided not to change the Asobo file location from C so dumped my Downloads file over to F.

Of course this is a bit crafty, running the main install from within the game will take more than two hours so in the unlikely event there is a major issue, no Steam refund.

Had to revive my Xbox account which has lain dormant for years, the initial sign in screen is tiny, at least on a 4K monitor. Thank goodness for screen magnifier.

Currently at 2Gb of 91Gb so time to go for a walk, get the shopping/fuel and hopefully done by lunchtime.

Soldato
Had a very quick look round Heathrow with the drone camera. My xbox controller powered off, when I turned it back on the game crashed to desktop!

Soldato
For me, this is going to take around 24hrs to download, but i have to have the app open sucking 50-100% GPU power and 30% CPU power plus the music playing constantly? Why couldn't steam just download the whole thing? Why cant i play other games while i wait? Stupid...

Associate
Tried flying from Manston to Dover, over estimated the landing, over stressed the aircraft and it ended, not the best first flight! What button is it to get the photo mode where the plane stays still?
That was the very first flight I did when Horizon brought out the original photo scenery back in the day for FS98, can't believe that was like 20 year ago! I did this flight for real when I was a kid, in a Chipmunk out of Manston with the CCF and, as we lived in Dover, that's where we went.

I've had a quick look at Dover in the beta so interesting to see if it's better in the released version.

Associate
For me, this is going to take around 24hrs to download, but i have to have the app open sucking 50-100% GPU power and 30% CPU power plus the music playing constantly? Why couldn't steam just download the whole thing? Why cant i play other games while i wait? Stupid...
When mine was downloading last night if I minimised the FS window the GPU usage went up to 99% :rolleyes:

Soldato
Anyone got issues with the flight surfaces not recentering? This is making it impossible to fly as you get a yo-yo affect very quickly.

Soldato
It's so annoying that you couldn't download this outside the game itself. Is the download bar the one with the plane in the background and nothing else? It doesn't even tell you what it's doing, percentage or rate of download?

EDIT - That wasn't it, just didn't launch properly the first time. Had to close it and restart to get it to start the download. Starting at 8am, lets see what time it finishes :D

As has happened to others, the same happened to me, just closed it and restarted and the download bar popped into life.

Soldato
As this uses streaming data, would a fast FTTP connection make any difference to asset quality?

As opposed to a 56k modem, probably. I doubt you'll see any difference between a 30mb domestic line and fibre, your PC will likely be the bottleneck before the bandwidth.

About 50% downloaded here...zzz

Pretty annoying it chewing up all the GPU while downloading.....I need that GPU to work!

Last edited:
Associate
I was planning to use my parents internet connection by signing in to Xbox game pass and downloading onto a external HDD then connecting it to my PC at home and transferring the files, I’m guessing this can’t be done?

Otherwise it’s gonna be a long wait downloading on my 35mb connection!

Soldato
Oh please don't let them have made such a simple mistake where it only likes being installed on a C:\ drive and all the dependencies are screwed if you don't.

When it did the setup to the main download I was bit confused, it was stated c drive appdata location as directory but stating my 2tb drives remaining space? I purposely created a new folder and aimed it at that to make sure.

Let's see if it works.....
I installed it on a different drive as I still have an old 60GB SSD as my C: drive, have had no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom