Lovecraft Country

Soldato
Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams should be awesome. Looks a little bit like it is trying to be Stranger Things... not sure I need another sinister monster-type thing going on in a small town. Hmn.

Soldato
That was ******* awesome, proper top notch TV. Loved the sudden turn of events when the
shoggoths attacked.

Does make me wonder why, with all their money, the BBC cannot produce anything of similar quality. Just look at the production quality of this and compare it with what the BBC did to The War of the Worlds.

Soldato
Does make me wonder why, with all their money, the BBC cannot produce anything of similar quality.
Erm, what makes you think the BBC has any sort of similar money to something like HBO?

HBO's operating income is $2bn and they're owned by huge Warner Media. Whereas the BBC's operating income as a whole (not just BBC Studios) is -£52m. HBO are in a different league.

Anyway, I've seen trailers for this but dismissed it as a wannabe Stranger Things rip off. Period middle America, strange goings on. Am I wrong?

Soldato
Anyway, I've seen trailers for this but dismissed it as a wannabe Stranger Things rip off. Period middle America, strange goings on. Am I wrong?

If anything, Stranger Things creatures are heavily Lovecraft/Cthulhu inspired.

I haven't watched this yet though, that's just my opinion on ST :)

Soldato
I was going to wait until the whole series was released but sounds like I should get straight onto this.

Without spoilers, it is full cthulhu mythos?

Despite the name and some themes I wouldn't say it's in the realms of cosmic horror, although it's only one episode in so that might change.

Definitely worth a watch though.

Soldato
Erm, what makes you think the BBC has any sort of similar money to something like HBO?

HBO's operating income is $2bn and they're owned by huge Warner Media. Whereas the BBC's operating income as a whole (not just BBC Studios) is -£52m. HBO are in a different league.

Not quite a fair comparison. The BBC is essentially not for profit and public service. A fairer comparison would be HBO has subscriptions of around $5.8Bn a year (excluding advertising). The BBC has an income of £4.9Bn but no advertising. They are of similar scale in terms of cash flow but BBC aims to do very different things with it's money. Spending £60m a year on major TV series is just money spent not money invested. HBO invest that and people will subscribe to watch it and they can sell it as a premium product to Worldwide partners, the return will exceed the cost.

Back
Top Bottom