Help needed to strengthen upper body

Associate
Apologies if this is not the right place but couldn't see where else to post it

I need to start building up my upper body strength and also my core. I recently had my right leg amputated at the hip joint so will now be spending my time between crutches and a wheelchair until I can get fitted for a prosthetic leg next year. I've never done any training so I've no idea where to start as I will need to do what I can from home. Any help or tips would be appreciated

Cheers

Associate
Sorry to hear about your leg.

Maybe have a look at the bodyweight fitness subreddit. They have an excellent routine that is easily adjusted as your abilities improve and the members are generally really helpful.

Associate
OP
Sorry to hear about your leg.

Maybe have a look at the bodyweight fitness subreddit. They have an excellent routine that is easily adjusted as your abilities improve and the members are generally really helpful.

Thanks. To be honest I'm glad it's gone. I've had problems with it for 16 years so at least I can move on now

I have tried to post in the bodyweight fitness subreddit but it gets auto removed by moderators but I'm not sure why. Is there anywhere else where I can look to get myself started?

Associate
Thanks. To be honest I'm glad it's gone. I've had problems with it for 16 years so at least I can move on now

I have tried to post in the bodyweight fitness subreddit but it gets auto removed by moderators but I'm not sure why. Is there anywhere else where I can look to get myself started?
That's odd. Not sure why that'd happen. Maybe have a look for similar subreddits in that case, or try the BWF discord - https://discord.com/invite/BWF

Soldato
I'm not sure of any training programs specifically (although I think there's an actual disabled/wheelchair bodybuilding subreddit), but then you'd basically be working upper body like anyone else, only having to make some considerations for exercise selection in terms of practicality, at least until you get your prosthetic. Ultimately there's only a few movement patterns and joint actions, so you just pick the ones that aren't too much of a faff to do.

Example (guy looks like he's on the sauce and is strong but it's just to demo that there's still a lot of things you can do):

You could try something like this except just remove all the leg days, or (preferably to me) do single-leg work (single leg press, leg extension, leg curls etc).

We had a guy at my gym for a while in a wheelchair who asked for a hand to get on certain machines or just hopped off his chair and just made fun of himself all the time, people in general didn't care or thought it was inspiring as far as just cracking on with it without making any excuses.

Soldato
Do keep us posted with how you get on, keep a log, share your progress, Nice bunch on here help push each other forward. And its nice to see others do well! its a great motivator!

Good luck and get strong bro!

Back
Top Bottom