Good hotel in Lake District?

Caporegime
I like the Dungeon Ghyll hotel, cracking location for lots of different walks and very secluded/quiet.

Scafell, Langdales, Bowfell etc all accessible from here.

Good bar and they used to put a BBQ on but doubt that'll be happening at the moment.

Edit: Here you go https://www.dungeon-ghyll.co.uk

Edit2: Ah notice it's a necro....obviously recommendation above no good for Windermere, still a cracking hotel! I prefer hotels like that because it's away from the hustle and bustle of the likes of Windermere. Less people = happy me.

Soldato
Thread revival but thought I'd stick this in here anyone know a good hotel in Windermere?

Only going to be in the Lake district for few days and travelling up from London on the train so restricted. Are there some good spots to walk to I love my photography so picturesque spots would be great. Also looking at doing the big mountain goat tour looks well respected and awesome on TripAdvisor.

The Gilpin is wonderful. Food is top notch.

Soldato
We've stayed at Linthwaite House a few times now when visiting my parents. It's a great hotel, the owner has a lot of his art collection in/around the hotel. You also get a lovely view of the lake as it's slightly up the hill from Bowness (Windermere).

Soldato
All rather nice recommendations but some very expensive £440 for two nights I settled using booking.com in the end on Windermere park right in the centre. Close to the station and only short walk for 10 lakes Mountain goat tour which looks awesome.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._of_the_Lake_District-Windermere_Lake_Di.html

Ah dammit, the one i linked to used to be a fairly upmarket "adult themed" hotel. Looks like they've had a big renovation and removed the comedy element.

Soldato
The Swan hotel at Newby Bridge.

I lived about a mile away from the Swan Hotel for around 7 years, going to Cartmel Priory Secondary School, it is only later in life on revisiting the Lake district do I realise how nice a place it was to have grown up!

There are stacks of good 4* hotels in/around Windermere and close by (such as the Swan Hotel),

Thread revival but thought I'd stick this in here anyone know a good hotel in Windermere?
Only going to be in the Lake district for few days and travelling up from London on the train so restricted. Are there some good spots to walk to I love my photography so picturesque spots would be great. Also looking at doing the big mountain goat tour looks well respected and awesome on TripAdvisor.

There are many good suggestions for good hotels, trip advisor is your friend on this.. Your idea of the mountain goat tour is brilliant, even though I lived there I'd still do that!

One thing I enjoyed as a day out with the camera is walking down to Bowness, taking the ferry to lakeside, then the Steam Train to Haverthwaite, and then back to Lakeside then Bowness, then do the other leg which is Bowness to Ambleside. (The Apple Pie Cafe is lovely for lunch and highly rated.). you can stay in each location for 30-50 mins or 2-3 hours, they do multi-tickets to combine the ferry/train and you can use the tickets all day.. Plenty of good photo ops!

If you can travel a little, then actually passing through Newby bridge to the Swan Hotel, stop for a drink by the water, it's lovely and picturesque, you can walk down by the Hotel with all the boats moored up and they have a small nature walk as well..
Then there are places like Grange Over Sands (You can walk through the town, and there is a sea front path that ends at the train station, so you can get there by train and return to windermere).
Cartmel is OK for a quick visit (The priory and village centre are OK).
Grasmere is great, the goat tour takes you there, but 15 mins is too short, it's worth a couple of hours walking through the village..
And Bowness/Windermere are OK for a picture or two as well!
Hawkeshead is nice, there is ferry from Bowness to get near it, but it's a bit of a drive to Hawkehead itself.

What I find with the Lakes is each village is quite small and only needs 5-10 photo's but they are quite spread out, I like Coniston for example but it's a pain to get to, and you finding the nice photo opportunities requires some extra rambing..

Soldato
Thanks for the information I have only got a few days there so making the most of the little time but definitely looks like a repeat place to go so much to see.

I'd love to do the Loughrigg fell walk the picture looks amazing.

Associate
Cathedral quarry in little langdale isn't too far away from windermere and worth a visit. You can get some really good shots but worth going early to avoid it being busy. I had the place to myself and I think it was between 7 and 8 am I got there.

Could also get a taxi to great langdale and go up to stickle tarn and pavey ark, with pike o'stickle not too far to walk to fill the day and some great views along the way.

If you want nice lakes I'd consider buttermere my favorite, then ennerdale and wast water

Soldato
I'm up there staying in Cockermouth over BH weekend. I'll be riding my MTB on the Whinlatter, might do Hellvellyn, probably spend a day by Crummock water, might drive to some National Trust stuff and see some ruins, stop off at Ravenglass to see the sea. Should be pretty chill.

Soldato
I lived about a mile away from the Swan Hotel for around 7 years, going to Cartmel Priory Secondary School, it is only later in life on revisiting the Lake district do I realise how nice a place it was to have grown up!

I can imagine. My parents had a timeshare at the Whitewater Hotel (by the Motor Museum), it always seemed a bit boring as a kid, but if i'm ever around there now i love it :D

Back
Top Bottom