**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

maj

maj

Soldato
My Note 8 Pro has the specs for everything I use the phone for on a daily basis. Personally I've never seen the need to have the most top of the range phone when cheaper phones tick all the boxes. Each to their own though.

Associate
Anyone know if for Chinese versions of phone which have NFC and where can install Google Play store, such as Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra, if can use Google Pay?

Edit: I've read that often bootloader is unlocked, so Google Pay, banking apps etc. don't work. That's a showstopper for me

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone have any opinions on the Redmi note 8 pro and the 9 pro? From what I can gather the 8 pro has a better gaming setup. I dont really have any interest in phones a part from playing some graphics hungry games while I have quite times. I'm kind of hanging on the buy button for the pro 8.

Soldato
/\/\/\ Specs for the note 9 pro are slightly bigger battery & screen, more energy efficient CPU. The note 9 pro does have wifi connection issues with certain makes of routers, though an update has resolved most of the issues.
If you are looking at the note 8 pro, the Realme 6 is almost the same specs but with 90HZ screen. I bought one last week and apart from not being able to take low resolution photos (apart from macro images) I'm quite impressed for the money.

Soldato
So my fears of ordering from China sort of came true.

Ordered the Poco f2 from AliExpress, week later I get a message from the mi store saying I need to contact my local DHL office and update my address. I replied with, I don't have a tracking number so how can I do that?

Several dumb message from them and 2 weeks later (3 weeks from ordering) I get a message saying the package has been returned to them because my phone number is wrong?? Wtf

So anyway, I thought sod it, I'll order again, but get it shipped from Spain.

That was last night and I had a message when I work up saying they will ship it out today.

Ive got a feeling the original was never shipped. No tracking number or any info was given about it being dispatched.

Hopefully it will go smoothly now. Won't be ordering from China again.

Soldato
I've had something similar, and actually thought it was phone scam. I had a voice message from an Indian call centre saying they were DHL and I had a customs charge to pay.

After listening to it a few times I managed to extract a tracking number, looked it up on the official DHL site and low and behold the parcel was being held in HK for custom charges before being sent on to the UK.

I was expecting a phone via Aliexpress but not received any shipping details, paid the charge and arrived 2 days later.

Maybe your details were incomplete and they only had your number.

Soldato
Awaiting dispatch....might chase it up Monday actually.

Ed:Another 2 weeks to arrive, weighing things up I decided to cancel my order. Put the funds towards Fold2 or for the Pixel 5 ( if the WA lens is confirmed)

Last edited:
Soldato
They called my bluff and will ship it ASAP lol, weak minded fool I agreed.

Seriously, need to move to the darkside. I would save a fortune.

I had a SE 2020 for a while and thought it was a little productivity gem, Swiss army knife of phones but just a tad too small. Maybe iPhone 12 might make me switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where from and how much just out of interest? Did you get the 6 or 8 gb ram version?

AliExpress, £305, 6gb version.

I looked at a review and the difference between 6 and 8gb isnt worth it for me. I don't need to swap between 10-15 apps at a time. I probably use about 6.

Lovely phone, but if you have small hands I wouldn't bother. I have big hands and i struggle to get to the top of the screen.

Associate
Anyone know if for Chinese versions of phone which have NFC and where can install Google Play store, such as Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra, if can use Google Pay?

Edit: I've read that often bootloader is unlocked, so Google Pay, banking apps etc. don't work. That's a showstopper for me

Btw in case others interested on this topic too... This:
https://youtu.be/Bb5wnzxxU-A?t=360
and this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/com...e?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
changed my mind.

Ordered :)

Associate
I owned the Poco F2 for a few days. Just couldn't get on with it. Came from an Mi9 to it and had multiple Xiaomi phones. For me the phone is way too heavy and with the size makes it difficult to use. My mistake but I also didn't consider not being able to use face unlock with a pop-up camera. The screen looked kind of muted even when adjusting the colour/saturation settings. The camera is decent and definitely a very quick phone. Just not for me. Thought I would mention it as there's a lot of positive buzz around the phone which I bought into.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I owned the Poco F2 for a few days. Just couldn't get on with it. Came from an Mi9 to it and had multiple Xiaomi phones. For me the phone is way too heavy and with the size makes it difficult to use. My mistake but I also didn't consider not being able to use face unlock with a pop-up camera. The screen looked kind of muted even when adjusting the colour/saturation settings. The camera is decent and definitely a very quick phone. Just not for me. Thought I would mention it as there's a lot of positive buzz around the phone which I bought into.

You can use face unlock, it's just very clunky with the pop up camera. I think the screen looks great, even moving from an S9+. But I've not seen many new gen phones, maybe why I don't care as much I suppose.

Soldato
Well, no Ultra this week. Apparently DHL won't accept batteries shipments direct to the U. K. so it's priority airmail to Spain then U. K ffs.

I've seen this with other importers such as Trading Shenzhen but didn't realise it was a blanket no go by DHL.

Oh well, the long waiting game now.

Back
Top Bottom