What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Ad Astra - 2/5

Dad goes mental, tries to microwave the Earth, son travels to Neptune to ram a nuke up his backside and encounters space monkeys on the way.

The above just above covers the plot and I was genuinely confused what the point of the film was after watching it but Pitt was excellent.

And it was never explained how both the Lunar and Martian bases appear to have artificial gravity yet they were still using chemical rockets to get about.

Soldato
The Girl with All the Gifts - had it sitting on my Amazon watchlist for so long that I'd forgotten how I heard about it or what it was about. Really enjoyed it, it's like 28 Days Later crossed with The Last of Us.

Associate
I disagree, I loved BR2049, I thought it followed the world and universe of the original so well, the draw out aspect of it I could cope with just fine, as it looked absolutely beautiful.

Scott in the past 15 years directing,
Alien: Covenant (directed by)
2017Alien: Covenant - Prologue: The Crossing (Short)
2015The Martian (directed by)
2014Exodus: Gods and Kings
2013The Vatican (TV Movie)
2013The Counsellor
2012/IPrometheus
2010Thunder Perfect Mind (Short)
2010Robin Hood
2008Body of Lies
2007American Gangster
2006A Good Year
2005All the Invisible Children (segment "Jonathan")
2005Kingdom of Heaven

So many utterly awful films there, some absolutely steaming piles of nonsense, where he took his own original universes and completely ****** them up the ass.
Also the counsellor, one of the worst films ever made, ever, ever.
The Martian is by far the exception to the rule, and comes from good source material.

That's fine, I welcome any disagreement, I agree 2049 still looks good, there's no doubt, apart from some of more dusty parts of it and overuse of water reflection on ceilings, and a less in lived in feeling than the original, but the pacing and lack of dynamic dialogue and action and memorable characters is what I have issue with.

I haven't claimed Scott has always directed good movies at all, that wasn't my argument at all, especially recently, that's not my point, I mentioned that Prometheus had all kinds of problems and I haven't even watched the vast majority of those movies you've listed. He's a jobbing director much of the time and I don't seem those movies out.

The source for The Martian was the same as Blade Runner, based on a good novel and he was still able to pull it off at his advanced age, I still think he'd have done better with Blade Runner if he had a good source.

My appreciation for Scott is based almost entirely on Alien and Blade Runner, I don't care about nor have mentioned any of those films you've mentioned except Prometheus in my analysis, which I already stated had huge problems. He was a superb director for Alien and Blade Runner and proved still good to very good one for The Martian - that is what I'm judging it by.

I stand by the fact that original creator of Blade Runner the movie thought 2049 was slow and poorly paced and I totally agree with him, you're more than welcome to your own opinion.

Soldato
To make that statement would suggest he didn't make slow movies, or he was good at editing, a skill i fear he has utterly forgot.
The Counsellor.
Watch it. Give it a go.
I'd discount virtually any opinion Scott has to offer now.

Associate
To make that statement would suggest he didn't make slow movies, or he was good at editing, a skill i fear he has utterly forgot.
The Counsellor.
Watch it. Give it a go.
I'd discount virtually any opinion Scott has to offer now.

I genuinely will as I appreciate your passion for just bad you think it is, I'm not doubting that. I do seem to recall hearing about some stinkers he'd made, but he is pushing 80 now.

But if that's 2013 and the Martian is 2015 then he was at least still able to pull one good or even great one back, I still think he's got at least one good one left.

I freely admit I'm judging him on when he was about 40 making 2 genre defining sci fi movies in Alien and Blade Runner, but I'll stand by those movies forever.

Soldato
I quite enjoyed The Counsellor...I think, although I watched around the same time as Oliver Stones Savages and might be mis-remembering and mashing them up in my head.

I remember a disturbing monologue about Cameron Diaz and a car windscreen :D

Associate
Project Power - 7/10

I quite enjoyed it. A little silly, but not really any more so than most superhero movies. Quite good action, reasonable acting and a half decent story I thought :)

I don’t know if I’m just getting grumpier, or if my review standards are getting stricter.

I watched this the other night and thought it was very very boring. Fox and Gordon-Levitt were solid, along with most of the other cast, but the story and script did nothing for me at all.

It wasn’t by any means “terrible”, but if I consider a film to be painfully boring then I don’t know what other category I can file it under.

Soldato
Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure (UHD) - classic movie, not seen it for an age and loved every moment.

Got goosebumps when they landed in the future and that Robbi Robb soundtrack hit :)

"it's you"

Last edited:
Soldato
if I consider a film to be painfully boring then I don’t know what other category I can file it under.

That's fine, of course. Different people are interested by different things. Personally I wasn't even close to being bored. Some movies I am checking the duration to see how long I have left, not this one. I thought the pace was pretty good in fact. I didn't mention, the fight scene in the club from the perspective they showed, I thought worked really well too.

Man of Honour
The Old Guard

Didn't enjoy this at all and could tell I wouldn't within the first five minutes. But I gave it a chance and about have way through I said to my wife '"this will be two hours of my life I'll never get back"

She wanted to finish it and said it was ok in the end.

I thought the script was as cheesy and clichéd as could be. The CGI effects were poor, the acting was poor and the whole look of the film was more like a TV show. I definitely nodded off a couple of times too.

2/10

Soldato
Only God Forgives - 5/10
Very stylish, like Drive - but lacks the heart and story that the director's previous film has. Also has several WTF moments that I'm still scratching my head over now.

More Ryan Gosling staring off into the distance meaninglessly as though he's forgotten his lines?

I'm so conflicted on Drive, great atmosphere, superb soundtrack, some amazing shots...all ruined by Ryan Gosling genuinely coming across a little 'special'. Couldn't buy into his character at all.

Caporegime
More Ryan Gosling staring off into the distance meaninglessly as though he's forgotten his lines?

I'm so conflicted on Drive, great atmosphere, superb soundtrack, some amazing shots...all ruined by Ryan Gosling genuinely coming across a little 'special'. Couldn't buy into his character at all.

I feel the same way with Drive, then you have A Place Beyond the Pines which he did a year or so later which I thought he was superb in, though the film scored a fair bit below Drive on Rotten Tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom