Looking for an Ultrawide monitor for gaming

Soldato
Right to kick it off im currently using a MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144hz monitor. The plan was to get 3 of these and run them in a triple monitor setup however i think the better plan is to get an ultrawide and up the resolution to a 1440p.

my typical usage is mainly for gaming, videos and light photo editing.

My system specs:
i5 9600kf
Rtx 2080
16gb ram

I have a budget of around £400 to spend so not a huge amount but will consider cheaper options as well. I have no intention of selling my msi monitor as this will go to the wife for her rig.

What would you recommend for me?

thank you

Associate
Yeah fair one. What price point are we talking?
There's the LG 34GN850-B - 34" IPS 3440 x 1440 160hz for over a grand, or you could get a Samsung Odessey G9, which meets all your requirements and more! It's a bit larger than the others as a 49" 32:9 panel, but it has a resolution of 5120 x 1440 at 240hz, and it only costs just over 3 times your budget!

Associate
There's the LG 34GN850-B - 34" IPS 3440 x 1440 160hz for over a grand, or you could get a Samsung Odessey G9, which meets all your requirements and more! It's a bit larger than the others as a 49" 32:9 panel, but it has a resolution of 5120 x 1440 at 240hz, and it only costs just over 3 times your budget!

Ouch! 144hz it is then!

Associate

I've ruled that one out. It's the same panel as the Iiyama, and is suffering from the same flickering issues (in freesync mode) as the Iiyama, but I haven't seen any reports of AOC fixing it. Whereas Iiyama are applying firmware updates to customers.

Happy to stand corrected if AOC have addressed this problem, but I'm happy to pay a bit less for the Iiyama one with it being the same panel and their customer service being so good.

Soldato
OP
I've ruled that one out. It's the same panel as the Iiyama, and is suffering from the same flickering issues (in freesync mode) as the Iiyama, but I haven't seen any reports of AOC fixing it. Whereas Iiyama are applying firmware updates to customers.

Happy to stand corrected if AOC have addressed this problem, but I'm happy to pay a bit less for the Iiyama one with it being the same panel and their customer service being so good.

anyone know if either of these support gsync nvidia gpu’s as well? My current one does support both and comes in handy.

Associate
anyone know if either of these support gsync nvidia gpu’s as well? My current one does support both and comes in handy.

They are g-sync compatible (as in, you can turn it on), it's just not officially supported and are subjected to this flickering I mentioned. So while Iiyama hare taking some steps to sort out the issue, I'm not sure AOC are.

Soldato
OP
They are g-sync compatible (as in, you can turn it on), it's just not officially supported and are subjected to this flickering I mentioned. So while Iiyama hare taking some steps to sort out the issue, I'm not sure AOC are.
Gonna give the iiyama a try when it comes back in stock, from the other thread it seems they are rolling out an updated firmware to resolve the issue at least to some extent.

Soldato
OP
waiting for this to come back in stock is killing me, ocuk have no eta but 2 other major retailers do so im gonna go pick one up from one of those this week when it comes back in.

Back
Top Bottom