Robocopy quick help

Soldato
Soldato
Hi guys

I am installing a new HDD and want to copy my entire D: drive to K: drive.

This is around 1TB data, and 2TB for my second hard drive to copy to K:

I have just tried

robocopy D:\ K:\ /e /r:3 /w:5

It started copying a load of files, but as far as I can see the files aren't actually in the K: drive? So I stopped it.

Am I doing this correctly?
Also, in terms of /mt as I have a 3700X should I just go /mt:16 ?

Thanks

maj

maj

Soldato
Your command looks okay but the files won't appear at destination till the script has finished running. I would do this in stages rather than trying to copy TBs of data right off the bat so you know it does successfully copy the data. You can simulate the robocopy with the /L switch if you run the script from CMD.

Soldato
Your command looks okay but the files won't appear at destination till the script has finished running. I would do this in stages rather than trying to copy TBs of data right off the bat so you know it does successfully copy the data. You can simulate the robocopy with the /L switch if you run the script from CMD.

Hmm, that's not quite correct. Robocopy is recursive and copies as the files are dealt with, all folders, then files. You'll see them appear if the copy is still running.

The bestest most epic robocopy command is this one, because it's mine.

Code:
robocopy {source} {destination} /xd appdata $RECYCLE.BIN "System Volume Information" /E /Z /ZB /R:5 /W:5 /TBD /V /MT:32

Man of Honour
Is it stumbling due to files that are in use? I found Robocopy struggled a bit with that in some circumstances (unless you tweak the retries, etc.).

You should see the files being copied over progressively if you refresh the destination folder content.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Thank you chaps

I want to now copy my second drive to the new K: drive

How can I avoid robocopy overwriting any of the data already on the new drive, whilst copying over from the second old drive?

Soldato
Thank you chaps

I want to now copy my second drive to the new K: drive

How can I avoid robocopy overwriting any of the data already on the new drive, whilst copying over from the second old drive?
It will only copy over if it sees a folder/filename the same with a new date.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Hello all

I have just used robocopy again. I copied files from one drive to a folder on the root of another drive.

I can't see the folder in windows explorer, but the files are definitely there (i.e. I can search for them and it has taken ~700GB from my storage drive which is the amount that was copied over)

I have enabled seeing hidden folders. What am I doing wrong?!

Associate
Code:
robocopy y:\ z:\ /MIR /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" RECYCLER" "Recycled" "System Volume Information" /XF "desktop.ini"

I use this to backup my drives, where y:\ is the source and z:\ is the destination.

Soldato
If you copy from the root of a drive as the source and have a folder as the destination, the folder will have system attributes applied to it which will hide it. I run robocopy and then run the attrib command to remove the hidden/system attributes like this...

Code:
@echo off
robocopy E:\ E /MIR /R:0 /W:0 /XD "System Volume Information" "$RECYCLE.BIN" "cache2" /NP /TEE /LOG:robocopy-stuff.txt
attrib E -h -s
pause

Back
Top Bottom