Dr. Disrespect permanently banned from Twitch

Soldato
More hilarious is the ultra smart, ‘pretending to not-know who someone is’ crowd. I’ve never a watched a Dr Disrespect video, but I know of that name. People claiming to have never heard the name pewdiepie on the internet, when we’re on a computer forum, in the gaming section. It is quite unlikely we’re not all slightly aware of goings-on.
Most of us are not pretending. Until this thread I have never heard of Dr Disrespect or Pewdiepie before and so have no trouble believing the other people also have never heard of them. The only reason I clicked this thread was being curious as it keep bouncing to the top for weeks in PC Gaming otherwise I would never have heard of them.

I have heard of fatal1ty but pewdiepie and Dr Disrespect seem to be one of those niche names either everyone knows or no one has heard of depending on which gaming circles/community you move in.

Soldato
I was thinking about posting a superb opinion piece on it by the character "Jonathan Pie", but I thought I'd watch it again to check the language and it's unsuprisingly full of swearing so I won't post a link to it here as Bad Words are forbidden. The video is on his Youtube channel and it's called "We've Reached Peak Nazi". That was 18 months ago and sadly things have only got worse since then. If you're not wholly obedient to The Ideology in every single deed, word, thought and feeling - you're a Nazi! And maybe even if you are wholly obedient, depending on whether or not there's a purge at the time.

Maybe they should just use the word "heretic", as that's what they really mean. But that would be too honest.

Im familiar with it. I've watched a fair bit of his stuff. Also that poster users Nazi frequently. I stopped after seeing it multiple times on 3 pages of his content.
No I don't have anything better to do before anyone says it :)

Man of Honour
I don't think most of us are pretending. Until this thread I have never heard of Dr Disrespect or Pewdiepie before and so have no trouble believing the other people also have never heard of them. The only reason i clicked this thread was being curious as it keep bouncing to the top for weeks.

I have heard of fatal1ty but pewdiepie and Dr Disrespect seem to be one of those niche names either everyone knows or no one has heard of depending on which circles you move in.

I'd heard of fatal1ty because I'd seen the name on some hardware. I'd heard of pewdiepie because he made the news a while back for something about a forest where people commit suicide. I'd never heard of Dr Disrespect before seeing this thread. I've no doubt there are many other streamers who are famous to people who watch a lot of streaming game videos and not to anyone else. Niche fame, as you say.

In a similar vein, Mark Felton is very well known...amongst people who watch videos about WW2 history. And he's relatively well known offline as he's an established and published historian. Or how about Raffaello Urbani? Anyone here know who he is? Emlyn_Dewar? He's niche famous too. If you're into medieval western European history or the Sengoku jidai, with an emphasis on arms and armour.

Soldato
He explained the problem with this group afterwards. It seems like you just pick and choose what to see, so you can stay outraged.
He’s a nazi? Hilarious that you believe this.

Pewdiepie owns and has displayed Nazi memorabilia, "jokes" about exterminating the Jews, hangs out with racists and makes openly racist remarks. If he doesn't want people to think he's a Nazi he's going the wrong way about it. And even if his faux apologies are true and he's just trying to be an edgelord, he is still unarguably a **** human being for that.

Man of Honour
Pewdiepie owns and has displayed Nazi memorabilia, "jokes" about exterminating the Jews, hangs out with racists and makes openly racist remarks. If he doesn't want people to think he's a Nazi he's going the wrong way about it. And even if his faux apologies are true and he's just trying to be an edgelord, he is still unarguably a **** human being for that.

Since we're at peak Nazi, my reaction is to assume that none of the above is true. After the boy has falsely cried "Wolf!" a million times, why believe him without evidence?

Caporegime
OP
aa.png

:D

Associate
Most of us are not pretending. Until this thread I have never heard of Dr Disrespect or Pewdiepie before and so have no trouble believing the other people also have never heard of them. The only reason I clicked this thread was being curious as it keep bouncing to the top for weeks in PC Gaming otherwise I would never have heard of them.

I have heard of fatal1ty but pewdiepie and Dr Disrespect seem to be one of those niche names either everyone knows or no one has heard of depending on which gaming circles/community you move in.

Haha same here. I had to google him. He looks like Queen. Never seen a twitch either. Meh.Im too old.

Soldato
Pewdiepie being edgy was mainly aimed at the media and people like you who go 100 miles an hour upon gaining a whiff, blaming and exaggerating up a whirlwind in your own mind until a whiny little swede is actually the reincarnation of Hitler who wants to start gassing Jews again.

Soldato
@Angilion, will use the tag feature for the first time ever instead of having the larger quote. :D
Its fair I guess, I have heard of Mark Felton but only the YouTube presence.
Rafaello urbani, I never heard this name. Even having a search, I don't think I've ever come across anything.
I want to say there is a difference, as I'm not on any western European history forums. Whereas PewDiePie is big in gaming. Perhaps my crippling YouTube addiction makes me more aware of these names?

@JeditOjanen... I have to assume that you're just trolling at this stage. Unless you've come across from MumsNet.

Soldato
you dont seem to understand how it works. there is no not having these people back we talking about. they are basically twitch . the only thing is how much it costs to put them on. if twitch say no then youtube takes em and youtube gather ground on twitch . so its a lose lose outcome for twitch. so there is no chance of them not being on streams.

Except you are describing what M$ tried. They brought in two huge hitters + some other medium sized streamers and it barely made a dent in Twitch numbers / market share. They realised it was a lost cause and shut Mixer down before throwing anymore bad money at it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Except you are describing what M$ tried. They brought in two huge hitters + some other medium sized streamers and it barely made a dent in Twitch numbers / market share. They realised it was a lost cause and shut Mixer down before throwing anymore bad money at it.

Microsoft seems to be great at wasting money on failed projects.

Caporegime
OP
Man of Honour
*visits Google*

*five seconds later*

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/2/17/14613234/pewdiepie-nazi-satire-alt-right

I'll step back an inch on the actual Nazi memorabilia as I can't find a direct cite, but he definitely turned up to the set of Scare PewDiePie wearing a swastika T-shirt.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
This is a public service announcement to make you aware that you just unironically posted a Vox link as if it was anything but an absolute laughing stock.

Seriously though, this is a genuine BRUH moment: Bruh, I try to only do this extremely rarely as people tend to be so quick to say it, but in this instance I can tell you with 100% confidence that you are completely wrong about him. I am certain that if you actually evaluate the actual facts rather than horrendous legacy media that's desperately holding on for dear life, you'll understand the truth. If you still believe it, please, go to the changemymind subreddit (actually, reddit is pretty progressive nowadays... Maybe not ) so that people that actually have the inclination and energy to bang their head against a figurative wall can lay the facts down neatly.

Soldato
Pew is a complete legend the way he can troll and get reactions from the main steam gaming media.

How many times have they tried to cancel pew and even Doc now?

Might watch his Yo-yo man video again :p

Man of Honour
@Angilion, will use the tag feature for the first time ever instead of having the larger quote. :D
Its fair I guess, I have heard of Mark Felton but only the YouTube presence.
Rafaello urbani, I never heard this name. Even having a search, I don't think I've ever come across anything.
I want to say there is a difference, as I'm not on any western European history forums. Whereas PewDiePie is big in gaming. Perhaps my crippling YouTube addiction makes me more aware of these names?

No. Your interest in what they do makes you more aware of those names. That's the point I (and others) are making. The way that on demand video services work promotes people being famous in a much more limited scope. Niche names, as Pottsey put it. That's especially true for video service platforms which track and analyse everything done by everyone who is logged in and use that information to manipulate them into an ever-narrowing echo chamber. Which is the norm nowadays.

It's even more niche than any general area of interest. I do a lot of gaming. I didn't know that PewDiePie is big in gaming. I'd only heard of him for having made a film in a forest that some people objected to, something about suicide. I do a lot of gaming, but I don't do a lot of watching people gaming. When I do, it's for ingame lore videos or amusing messing about with single player games such as the "Let's Game It Out" channel which is mostly about creatively playing obscure games in ways other than intended by the developer.

Rafaello Urbani has more viewers than many TV programs. He has fewer subscribers than the big "I must be famous" names, but a lot of views. And about half a million subscribers, which is a fair few people. Particularly considering that he makes researched, accurate and informative videos about history and linguistics. Mostly history now, although his real job is languages (he's an interpreter for the EU and a language teacher). He's certainly famous in that niche fame area. Like some game streamers are in their niche area. Rafaello Urbani usually uses a nom de plume for online video - Metatron. But if you search for that you'll probably find more Judao-Christian stuff than his stuff. I've no idea what his religious views are, if he has any. He chose the name for other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom