Jaguar I-Pace Thread

Soldato
I worry about range, real world range looks only about 150miles plus and the non-Tesla EV charging network looks pretty inadequate. Are you not doing long trips?

The guys on the etron forum are getting a lot more than that, but I did put 150 down in the notes when I was researching funnily enough. We don't do many long trips a year. The work commute is only 5 miles each way, and both sets of parents are local.

The bigger cities are only 40 miles away, and the places we usually visit aren't much more. There is one place we like to go which is 80 miles away which is going to be tight, but there is a 50kw charging point along the way.

We counted only two trips in 2019 we made which would have gone over the range, but again we are happy to either stop off and charge or just use the train. If you book early enough, you can get tickets dirt cheap.

The fact the etron brings huge tax savings, petrol, insurance, servicing, gap etc etc it's a no brainer, plus we can charge it up at home overnight so by morning it's ready to go.

Caporegime
Thanks for taking the time. Puzzling over the Etron and the Ipace and the range of the 71kwh Etron is an issue for us as we live a good 65 miles from our relatives and although we could trickle charge there it'd be nice to have no anxiety. If we use the car in the day and then pop up in the evening there's no chance we'd get back without charging.

Think that the Ipace is probably going to be better overall despite not having quite as much space. The extra 50 miles or so of range is useful.

Soldato
Thanks for taking the time. Puzzling over the Etron and the Ipace and the range of the 71kwh Etron is an issue for us as we live a good 65 miles from our relatives and although we could trickle charge there it'd be nice to have no anxiety. If we use the car in the day and then pop up in the evening there's no chance we'd get back without charging.

Think that the Ipace is probably going to be better overall despite not having quite as much space. The extra 50 miles or so of range is useful.

Yeah, you are right on the limit aren't you. Whilst you could just about make it back, if you ever hit roadworks, or there's an accident and you are sat in traffic you would be starting to worry. I think we are in a funny time with electric cars. The next few years are where we'll start to see the real good ones with a solid 250-300 range.
The Audi Q4 looks a belter. Thing with the etron is that they basically took a Q5 and swapped the engine for a battery. The good thing (for us), is that it's a great car first, electric car second.....but those who regularaly do trips 70+ miles each way I can see the issue.

The 2021 etron 55 (so those built starting end of August) have a better range so worth taking a look.

Soldato

Yeah, you are right on the limit aren't you. Whilst you could just about make it back, if you ever hit roadworks, or there's an accident and you are sat in traffic you would be starting to worry. I think we are in a funny time with electric cars. The next few years are where we'll start to see the real good ones with a solid 250-300 range.
The Audi Q4 looks a belter. Thing with the etron is that they basically took a Q5 and swapped the engine for a battery. The good thing (for us), is that it's a great car first, electric car second.....but those who regularaly do trips 60+ miles each way I can see the issue.

The 2021 etron 55 (so those built starting end of August) have a better range so worth taking a look.

Soldato

The Audi Q4 looks a belter. Thing with the etron is that they basically took a Q5 and swapped the engine for a battery. The good thing (for us), is that it's a great car first, electric car second.....but those who regularaly do trips 60+ miles each way I can see the issue.

Caporegime
Having flip flopped around I've gone for the I-Pace over E-Tron mostly for the range, but 400bhp and lighter than the Etron helped too.

Just base spec unfortunately as that was by far the cheapest but should be fun for a lease car. £330 a month, 12k miles, no deposit, insured, servicing, tyres and minimal BIK over the lease - cheaper than buying anything similar second hand by a long shot.

Caporegime
Good choice. Will be nice and quick and the driver focused of the two. As I understand it Just get the jaguar plug surfing app and it gives you IONITY charging sessions for just under £9 regardless of energy used.

Awesome, thank you. Quite excited, first brand new car, first electrical car, first time with something seriously quick (despite the bulk). Not entirely sold on the leasing idea but for the price I don't mind giving it a go.

Last edited:
Associate
Having flip flopped around I've gone for the I-Pace over E-Tron mostly for the range, but 400bhp and lighter than the Etron helped too.

Just base spec unfortunately as that was by far the cheapest but should be fun for a lease car. £330 a month, 12k miles, no deposit, insured, servicing, tyres and minimal BIK over the lease - cheaper than buying anything similar second hand by a long shot.

May I ask from whom you leased it please?

Thanks

Soldato
May I ask from whom you leased it please?

Thanks

Does your employeer have a car scheme? I've just checked mine and all the etrons are now back to their normal price of £650+ a month (and thats the base spec)

I ordered the sport in metallic silver for £340 a month back in April, but I think those deals are long gone now.

:edit: ouch, forget that, just checked and they are now £750 a month :eek:

Caporegime
Someone posted an example here although I cant vouch for their maths:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=255&t=1851706&p=1

There's 2 pension issues:

1 - Reduced contributions which reduce your eventual pension. As it stands for currently thats not a great worry for me as I'll easily hit the lifetime allowance before I retire, so reduce contributions just means I pull out of the pension scheme a little later. Although all this will likely change in the 30+ years I have left. For me the money saved not buying a car will be ploughed into the mortgage so will be a small gain there.

2 - Probably the biggest problem is the sudden jump on your pension contributions if/when you come out the lease programme. This can easily breach the 40K annual allowance and land you with a 5 figure tax bill. You have to look at carry over and time leaving the lease scheme carefully, ideally on a year without a pay increment.

Soldato
No I swapped back to the I-Pace this weekend. Says delivery in October.

Did you go through NHS lease?

No, my employeer runs a similar scheme and had the etron for the same price as the NHS for about a week (the week I ordered it). I don't have the NHS pension to worry about....my pension is crap anyway :p

The big benefit for me being a high rate tax payer is the bigger savings, especially with my annual bonus factored in. I have a feeling the 0%, 1% and 2% BIK won't last forever, so I'll lease electric cars whilst it's cheap

I spent ages working it all out with fuel, insurance, tax savings etc etc and over the 2 years it adds up to a fair chunk

Associate
1 - Reduced contributions which reduce your eventual pension.

My understanding is the new nhs pension is a career average pension so a car lease has a significant impact and pulling out of the pension toward the end of your career and height of earnings also has a profound negative impact

This can easily breach the 40K annual allowance and land you with a 5 figure tax bill

Again my understand is as of April 2020 the annual taper will only effect those that earn >200k if working for the NHS

(I am not a financial advisor, please seek definitive advice)

Back
Top Bottom