**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
You have to manually assign all the controls to your joystick/HOTAS . There are very few pre-configured set-ups, which is poor form from the devs. You might find this video helpful for general advice on how to map controls to your peripherals https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=1DXdGaRgnhU&feature=emb_logo

Incredible, paid £78 for the premium edition and they cant be arsed to put together a basic hotas setup?
Thanks for the headsup xaldub, appreciate it.

Is there no default hotas setup?

Soldato
What a game, not played a flight sim since I was about 13, tonight I've had the most wonderful time. First time flight from East Mids to Newcastle, managed to land OK just got lost taxiing LOL. This was in the Airbus A320, it was a night flight and went fairly smoothly, I am letting the AI handle the air traffic control at the moment. Second flight was from Orlando to New York, flying past and round the statue of liberty and empire state building etc, this was in the little Icon A5.

I am running the game on 'high end' settings and it is truly incredible, probably one of the best looking games ever if not of all time?

So far it's superb I love it, can't wait to learn more and fly to new places.

Soldato
I've had a few hours on this now and X55 controller lack of mapping aside (argh!!!); I'm really impressed.

Lighting, shadows and reflections, everything graphically is a big step up from what I've previously seen in a sim. The Bing maps scenery data and auto gen are a game changer. Previously you would have to pay hundreds for VFR scenary just to cover the UK, which would rarely be updated.

Some less obvious areas that I've flown over tonight are lacking texture detail, I'm hoping this improves over time. With the nature of data source, its sure to.

In general though and especially in areas which have that higher level of data, it's jaw dropping. Weather is also amazing! Previously, you would throw money at something like REX for P3D or FSX and it's not on this same level, at all.

Those that are complaining that the sim technically isn't there with aircraft simulation.. well, of course it isn't yet. Until 3rd parties get on board and start pumping out content it won't be. The main thing is this is a ground breaking base to build from, with content already confirmed to be coming. The bonus of this sim not crashing after an hour or two is a good thing too. :D

Performance is actually not bad on my 4770K 16GB and 980ti @ 4K. I kept the settings at the auto selected 'High End', and it obviously drops in cities and large airports but it's not slide show unplayable.

I can see this sim being a prime reason for me to upgrade, at some point in the future.

Soldato
I've had a few hours on this now and X55 controller lack of mapping aside (argh!!!); I'm really impressed.

Lighting, shadows and reflections, everything graphically is a big step up from what I've previously seen in a sim. The Bing maps scenery data and auto gen are a game changer. Previously you would have to pay hundreds for VFR scenary just to cover the UK, which would rarely be updated.

Some less obvious areas that I've flown over tonight are lacking texture detail, I'm hoping this improves over time. With the nature of data source, its sure to.

In general though and especially in areas which have that higher level of data, it's jaw dropping. Weather is also amazing! Previously, you would throw money at something like REX for P3D or FSX and it's not on this same level, at all.

Those that are complaining that the sim technically isn't there with aircraft simulation.. well, of course it isn't yet. Until 3rd parties get on board and start pumping out content it won't be. The main thing is this is a ground breaking base to build from, with content already confirmed to be coming. The bonus of this sim not crashing after an hour or two is a good thing too. :D

Performance is actually not bad on my 4770K 16GB and 980ti @ 4K. I kept the settings at the auto selected 'High End', and it obviously drops in cities and large airports but it's not slide show unplayable.

I can see this sim being a prime reason for me to upgrade, at some point in the future.

Totally agree with this. I can see this being the reason I uograde not only my PC but invest in some proper sim controls

Soldato
I ran the developer mode to see if I can get to the bottom of the poor framerate and its saying 'Limited by Main Thread' - does that mean the CPU is being the problem?

https://imgur.com/MHWNMqG

Certainly suggests the main thread is getting saturated and it isn’t doing a good enough job of distributing load across available cores.... But that wouldn’t explain why you are getting half the FPS that I do on a 3900X. Your single thread perf should be roughly equal to mine.

Have you changed any other settings beyond the “high end” default?

What are your ram and infinity fabric settings?

When they move to dx12 (why the hell they developed on dx11 is beyond me) it should improve CPU perf substantially imo.

Edit - just had a thought (ouch). You in windows ver2004? Try enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling to move some load off the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Folks.. is there a way to skip the log intros at the start?

Also the fly around at the beginning is ultra smooth but the game is not smooth as that... is that what most experience?

Also each time i start the game I am asked to update but when I click update, it says its complete... anybody else has this?

Soldato
Folks.. is there a way to skip the log intros at the start?

Also the fly around at the beginning is ultra smooth but the game is not smooth as that... is that what most experience?

Also each time i start the game I am asked to update but when I click update, it says its complete... anybody else has this?

the opening is just video and not real game engine,

Soldato
Anyone tried using a MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick ?
do these over 20 year old joysticks still even work in windows :D can't remember now if it has a USB or game port connector

Think i still got mine in the loft somewhere (But Not sure if i still have the power suppy for it :(:mad:)

vL2hd74.jpg

Got it working with below post!!

The power supply is inside the joystick and it's just a
2 Pin Mains Power Lead Fig Figure 8 Cable
that connects into the joystick and then straight into the mains. :)

Transforms the game using this, controller is meh compared to it.
There a thread here of some people trying to get FF2 working with FS2020

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/580375-ms-sidewinder-force-feedback-2-rudder-dead-zone/

ok. Really appreciate you sending me this! I have sorted it with following this person's settings!!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
Managed to complete the Courchevel challenge at 3rd attempt after fumbling learning view keys.

Managed to slide it in at rank 83 i believe but cant see how to review your score tbh.

Soldato
Had some great fun tonight!

Got plenty of hours in the alpha of the game, but the release version is quite different in many respects, and no more watermarks all over the screen is bliss lol.

Online is really busy and working nicely. Found my step-dad online and eventually caught up to him after flying around London. Done a couple of low and slow VFR flights. This game is beyond amazing!

Performance for me is really good. 3900x, GTX1080, 32GB, 1440p at high settings and I do t think it dipped below 30fps even in London with a ton of players flying around too. Once in the air and away from dense scenery it's an easy 50-60fps and the sim feels incredibly smooth.

All I can say is I absolutely cannot wait for VR with the G2 I have on pre-order. Its going to be something else in high quality VR.

Looking forward to the PMDG 737 too :)

But I've had a faultless experience, about 9 hours of downloading with no hiccups, straight into the sim. Configured my controllers to what I'm used to and away I went.

Soldato
What a game, not played a flight sim since I was about 13, tonight I've had the most wonderful time. First time flight from East Mids to Newcastle, managed to land OK just got lost taxiing LOL. This was in the Airbus A320, it was a night flight and went fairly smoothly, I am letting the AI handle the air traffic control at the moment. Second flight was from Orlando to New York, flying past and round the statue of liberty and empire state building etc, this was in the little Icon A5.

I am running the game on 'high end' settings and it is truly incredible, probably one of the best looking games ever if not of all time?

So far it's superb I love it, can't wait to learn more and fly to new places.

Are you using a yoke? My graphics I wouldn't say are incredible mmmm...I have a lesser graphics card dont I. :(

Soldato
Im new to sims so maybe im doing something wrong ?

I was reading about navigation and came across VOR

In the Cessna 152 i punched in a freq and it seemed to pick up the morse code, I clicked nav 1 button but the cdi/obs dial doesnt move ?
User error or has it been implemented in this plane?

Soldato
I think graphics and fps are very subjective. It would probably help if we all used one benchmark/area of the game to indicate performance. E.g. the first flight lesson?

Also

Folks how do you know which version of FS you have installed, is there anywhere in the game that says you have the Standard or Deluxe version etc?

Associate
Im new to sims so maybe im doing something wrong ?

I was reading about navigation and came across VOR

In the Cessna 152 i punched in a freq and it seemed to pick up the morse code, I clicked nav 1 button but the cdi/obs dial doesnt move ?
User error or has it been implemented in this plane?

You need to change the direction of the compass of the obs, so for example of you are directly north of the beacon the needle will aline when you move the compass to either 360 or 180 depending on whether you want to go towards or away from the vor station.

This is a bit old and is based on FSX but its a good guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6JIyNG_8v8&list=PLPgR-UyZEDFp3z_sn_uVXEiVvtE5VKzSP&index=18

Associate
For some god dam reason my game crashed and now I have loaded it back up all the menus are in Spanish, could someone point me to the page that has language settings please?

Edit: it's ok I have solved the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom