Hamilton hatred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's extraordinary that when there is a thread explaining many many different reasons why they dislike Hamilton that there is always one or two idiots that imply that it must be racially motivated because he's black. Pretty sad from those individuals really.

Hardly extraordinary in todays world. Half the population are perpetually offended.

Associate
He's grew up in the limelight in front of the camera. He realises his mistakes and makes corrections like selling the jet as climate awareness increases recently. Have you not as a human developed and become philosophical as you age?

The tax thing is just a stick to beat him with any ammo. He's actually in the top 5k of UK taxpayers, yet plies his trade globally.
He's paid more tax than Jenson Button ever did, whom lives in Monaco still.

I think he's not a malicious person at all, you can see it in his driving Vs Schumacher/Senna levels of dirtiness.

Last week Murray Walker declared him G.O.A.T for that reason, the gentleman AND sportsman aspect to him. Even Fangio wasn't sporting, frequently taking his teammates car at his whim if he felt like it.

I know people are jealous of him winning. F1 is the last few sports remaining that wasn't about to be ruined/aced by black athletes. Bit like men's tennis, it's all very English gardeny.
Look at Sir Andy Murray, knighted while playing and achieved far less, very briefly ranked 1, broke no records.

The other thing is Schumacher had an abnormal amount of fans, and Hamilton is about to break his records, so there's ansourxe of hatred there.

I don't agree he should shut up and drive, that's racist in itself and shows people just want to watch him as a circus act.

Same in football when black players are ok to kick a ball at the elite level but managing a team is a step too far...

Phrase "Know your role springs to mind".

One thing that's come good is his refusal to be silenced on racial equality, because from my observations staying silent hasn't worked, and for that he'll probably become a legend as someone who transcended his sporting discipline. That alone will irk some people even more.

He comes across as a nice guy in interviews to me, also always insightful and respectful, as opposed to say Raikonnen.

Fickle people we humans :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree he should shut up and drive, that's racist in itself

I was with you until this. I'm not sure how the comment is automatically linked to Hamilton's race?

To me, this is a big part of what's wrong with the world. Someone says 'shut up and race' and you decide they meant 'know your role' or that he's seen as a circus act. That is not what was said. What was said was 'shut up and race'. If you want to read something racist into that, you did that, not the person with the statement.

Caporegime
IMO black people are more affected by racism today by those who twist everything into having a racist meaning, is it any wonder why they believe there is systemic racism when people on the left systemically examine skin colour and misinterpret everything in the worse possible way in order to turn totally innocent and non-race related things into a racism issue?

Associate
I was with you until this. I'm not sure how the comment is automatically linked to Hamilton's race?

To me, this is a big part of what's wrong with the world. Someone says 'shut up and race' and you decide they meant 'know your role' or that he's seen as a circus act. That is not what was said. What was said was 'shut up and race'. If you want to read something racist into that, you did that, not the person with the statement.
I will just leave these links as an awareness piece as that is how it is for black people like Hamilton and silencing is a key theme. Telling him to just race is exactly that, albeit maybe subconscious for some.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/09/black-people-silenced-white-institutions

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a25747603/silencing-black-voices/

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/playing-the-race-card-racism-black-experience

Soldato
You would be deliberately trying to take take that out of context if you attribute that to race without any evidence. You know white drivers get told to shut up and just race too, right? It's got nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with fans not wanting the drivers to use their fame to influence others on topics other than racing. It's the same way people get fed up with actors commenting on politics. Nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with why people like the celebs in the first place.

Soldato
I will just leave these links as an awareness piece as that is how it is for black people like Hamilton and silencing is a key theme. Telling him to just race is exactly that, albeit maybe subconscious for some.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/09/black-people-silenced-white-institutions

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a25747603/silencing-black-voices/

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/playing-the-race-card-racism-black-experience

Obviously, I'm not bothering to read them. My point stands regardless, in fact it almost works towards my point. You were the person that made it about race.

Permabanned
I wonder how many people who now dislike Hamilton, used to like him (or were ambivalent towards) in the past? Presumably if that is the case it rules out racism?

Soldato
Hamiltion is awesome and he is also an awesome role model... he is also the greatest driver off all time. How did a rookie beat a WC in his rookie season.
Daddy Dennis. Ask Coulthard. Or Prost.

Let's be frank. Hamilton was brilliant in 2007 but if Monaco 2007 hadn't happened, then either Hamilton or Alonso would have won the title by miles over Raikkonen. That it did happen ultimately led to both them and their team throwing everything away, and 1998 remains McLaren's most recent constructors championship.

They both had great drives that year, but neither was a winner.

Man of Honour
Come off it, he's good but he's not even the 'best' British driver.

Depends how you judge best driver I guess - I haven't seen anyone that drives with the honed precision he does - but there is more to being a good [racing] driver than just getting a car around a track fast - none the least traffic management and race strategy, etc.

Soldato
He is certainly the most successful but that doesn't mean best. "Best" is hard to quantify especially across eras but I'd question your bias if Hamilton wasn't close to the top of the list for both best British and best in the world.

Soldato
It's one reason I won't stick my hand up and claim Hamilton as the greatest. To me, to be among the other greats you have to compete well across different disciplines. Numerous other champions have and the likes of Clark, Hill, Mansell, Mario Andretti and more recently Alonso have excelled doing so, while John Surtees was even a motorbike and F1 champion!

Hamilton won't even enter the Race of Champions.

I've no doubt he is one of the best, and certainly since the birth of the hybrid era, but I just wish he'd do more outside of F1 to show he could adapt and cement his status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom