Replacement in a hurry - compete confusion

Associate
So my desktop was fried by lightning. MB, CPU dead, at a minimum. Timing very unfortunate, I was going to upgrade to Zen 3.

So I'm planing to get a 3600/3700 now, and upgrade to a 4900x equivalent when Zen 4 comes out and crashes the prices.

But I've no idea what I'm looking at with motherboards. I'm not planning to OC, or do anything silly. But there's 4(?) Chipsets to pick from, multiple manufacturers claiming to be better in multiple aspects.

I'm lost.

Budget wise, I've got 1-2k for this, but this also includes the 4900 equivalent, so I don't to waste money!

Help?

Soldato
easy answer

planning on a xfire / sli setup x570
single graphics card and m2 storage b550

after that chose you poison depending on manufacturer and marketing preferences, requirements for wifi etc and of cause pretty lights

Soldato
Do you need RAM, what's your current?

What is your use case, do you just play games or is your machine used for work purposes like rendering etc? Do you have any minimum requirements for USB or other connections?

I wouldn't buy a motherboard based upon multi-gpu, it's pretty much dead now anyway and isn't the main reason you'd opt for an X570.

Associate
OP
Ram state is unknown - will test once I have a motherboard that isn't toast. Ditto GPU. If GPU is fine, nurse it along to big navi.

Machine is used for everything from a home lab to a games machine. Tenancy to run game servers for friends on it. 6/12 is a bare minimum, 8/16 would be better.

I have a strong preference for no LEDs! Also replacing case, as it's currently big though to stuff a small child in.

Back
Top Bottom