Fastest F1 Drivers of all time.

Caporegime
What do people make of this? Just popped up on my Google feed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fo...test-f1-driver-of.3DwwPLW4glCmlunjciH1Cz.html

A lot of surprises there. Especially Kovalainen who had quite a short career in decent cars. No surprises which two are at the top though. Also many world champions not on the list which goes to show that car really is everything.

Please note this is only representative of raw speed. I am sure many F1 fans knew Jarno Trulli was quick over a single lap but his race pace was less to be desired.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing is you don't really know if one driver is getting a 'party mode' in qualifying and his team mate is not, I suspect it has been happening with some teams since at least the Vettel/Red Bull days. Webber gave Vettel a good fight for one season nearly beating him and then spent season after season being absolutely nowhere and having all manner of KER's problems at vital points in the season. Teams will sometimes favour one driver at the detriment of the other.

Associate
The thing is you don't really know if one driver is getting a 'party mode' in qualifying and his team mate is not, I suspect it has been happening with some teams since at least the Vettel/Red Bull days. Webber gave Vettel a good fight for one season nearly beating him and then spent season after season being absolutely nowhere and having all manner of KER's problems at vital points in the season. Teams will sometimes favour one driver at the detriment of the other.

teams don't really ever nobble one of their own drivers. They care too much about the Team championship to risk losing points over it. It sometimes happens if there is a number 1 driver and the number 2 has to move over for him, or if there aren't enough new parts for both drivers, but that's about it. Everything else is just confirmation bias

Soldato
This is largely just marketing for AWS as a commercial partner of FOM.
Absolutely it is, but it's backfiring massively. AWS is a great platform, however these numbers being pulled out of whatever data scientist's backside are hurting their credibility with the F1 viewing public. They don't see the difference between the massive array of services that AWS provides and the hugely subjective numbers that have been crunched to give the 'Fastest F1 driver' list, or the even worse in-race tyre stats or projected battle in X laps graphic.

Associate
Absolutely it is, but it's backfiring massively. AWS is a great platform, however these numbers being pulled out of whatever data scientist's backside are hurting their credibility with the F1 viewing public. They don't see the difference between the massive array of services that AWS provides and the hugely subjective numbers that have been crunched to give the 'Fastest F1 driver' list, or the even worse in-race tyre stats or projected battle in X laps graphic.

They are in a tricky spot. To fulfil their deal with AWS they need to create content but doing so with the limited data and remit* that they have is difficult. These newer stats are at least being developed by a team lead by Rob Smedley so the domain knowledge should be there, although whether it's being leveraged properly is hard to know.

*They don't want graphics that 'spoil the show' such as when they experimented with mini sectors during qualifying a few years ago (think that's still on the F1 app for more hardcore fans).

Caporegime

Have heard that so many times over the years.

But look at it like this, what logical reason would make any team deny themselves easy points and higher position in the constructors championship and thus a tonne of prize money ?

Caporegime
What do people make of this? Just popped up on my Google feed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fo...test-f1-driver-of.3DwwPLW4glCmlunjciH1Cz.html

A lot of surprises there. Especially Kovalainen who had quite a short career in decent cars. No surprises which two are at the top though. Also many world champions not on the list which goes to show that car really is everything.

Please note this is only representative of raw speed. I am sure many F1 fans knew Jarno Trulli was quick over a single lap but his race pace was less to be desired.

Minor point maybe, but stats are only over last forty years not over all time, so your thread title is very misleading.

Back
Top Bottom