OCUK founder Spie passes away

Soldato
I remember when OcUK started trackday meet ups in 2003 where Mark was always generous offering passenger rides in his Radical SR3.

These are some photos I took of his car from a meet at Outlon Park in April 2005.

49329068081_2a136ff6d2_o.jpg

49328597113_7cfde50edd_o.jpg

49328597043_edd175441d_o.jpg

Associate
It's with a sense of genuine shock that I'm writing this, having only just found out. I knew Mark from the first days of OcUK, when I was working for one of their suppliers, and later when I started working for OcUK in 2002/2003. I had the pleasure of attending his wedding to Claire, but lost touch with them when I changed jobs.

He could be a polarising character but he was a good bloke, and I have some good memories of him.

My belated but heartfelt condolences to Claire and Emma, Nathan and Aaron, and the rest of the family.

Andy

Last edited:
Associate
I have only just found out, and the sad loss fills me with memories. I have just turned 80 myself, so it is sometime since I built a computer. I have been in mainframe computers since the very early days, when I worked on the the design of air traffic control computers in a lab, but then moved on to the really big stuff, a KDF9 scientific computer with a massive 64k of matrix memory. I started a micro computer repair shop, (Computer Care Centre), in Macclesfield in the 80's, but after 6 years went back to mainframes, as i was an engineer indulging myself, and was not making much money.
I was thrilled when Overclockers started, and I remember ringing before setting of to buy my first tested overclocked CPU, which was in a little black box on an anti static pad. I was very impressed when I arrived, because Mark had a large anti static pad on the little counter, and when I commented, we soon started chatting about computers. He had heard about my repair shop, (it was certainly the first in the North), and after that, I spent a fortune, (in those days), at his shop, and when he expanded into his super store. But then life moves on, and the thrill of modding and fiddling with motherboards ebbed away, the last one built in 2011 still running at 4.4ghz.
Anyway, I will not go on, but we have lost a land mark in what was the small computer world. My sincere condolances to his family, he will not be forgotten, and you must be very proud of him and what he achieved.

Soldato
My dad passed away 5 years ago, early feb always a bit strange due to that. Hope things are going well Nath.

Thankfully memories are all good now, not focused on his final days.

Jay

Jay

Associate
I was thinking about Spie today and searched the forums to see what he is upto now. Came across this thread. :(

RIP Mark, lots of good, happy memories of the old days.

Back
Top Bottom