Recommissioning a car

Soldato
OP
Aren't you a taxi driver? What's the 30-50k a year going to be doing? Commuting? Out of interest.

been out the taxi trade for 5 months now. currently a regional manager with one of the countries biggest courier companies

50k a year in an MV6 is about what, £10k in fuel?

How can this possibly make sense?

i dont plan on paying for it. i might break even or maybe run at a slight loss but i claim mileage back

Acme is exactly right. Fuel isn't paid for, he is paid a mileage rate. So he'd get that same mileage rate in a car that's significantly more efficient.

i could run a diesel if i wanted in fact theres a selection of suitable oil burners on the driveway atm but why not run the omega, worst case scenario it doesnt prove practical and i switch over to one of the others.

But you have a 3L diesel, no? OP has a 1.5L.

I think i get where you're coming from though, he could get a BMW 530 diesel, but he isn't likely going to do that. We are talking about the 3L omega, and his current car...

Current work car is a 3 cylinder F40 1 series. its far more fun to drive than any of the diesels (having spend the last 16 years driving oil burners as a taxi driver and averaging north of 100k a year doing so its time for something that makes a reasonably nice noise and revs a bit. even the bmw is much more fun on the road

as for whats on the drive atm. i currently have a 2l diesel Kuga, F40 1 series(the current company car) , a vivaro and my backup for the Omega a 3l diesel Jag XF which is much faster more comfortable and generally a far superior commuter car to the Omega. but the Omega will make a nice noise and is a manual so will be a bit more fun day to day. i've spent the best part of 2 decades trundling dreary diesels up and down motorways now someone else is paying for the fuel and paying me to have a car I actually want and only needs to please me. its a no brainer to at least try it out for a few months

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I'd do it, as long as you are not losing too much in fuel. May aswell do that amount of mile sin something you like. Lets face it, if you do 50k a year, last thing you will want to do is drive on your days off aswell, so recomission and see how it goes for 6 months.

Are no options for different company cars, Merc do a Diesel Phev in both the E and C class, you could save a chunk of tax, still have decent MPG and a wafty car.

Soldato
OP
I'd do it, as long as you are not losing too much in fuel. May aswell do that amount of mile sin something you like. Lets face it, if you do 50k a year, last thing you will want to do is drive on your days off aswell, so recomission and see how it goes for 6 months.

Are no options for different company cars, Merc do a Diesel Phev in both the E and C class, you could save a chunk of tax, still have decent MPG and a wafty car.

See above for a choice of diesels if I want boring could even add business cover to one of the others and use them on my days further afield and keep the omega for closer to home

Man of Honour
See above for a choice of diesels if I want boring could even add business cover to one of the others and use them on my days further afield and keep the omega for closer to home

Lets not pretend there is any real difference in excitement between sitting on the Motorway in a Vauxhall Omega and doing the same thing in an XF Diesel. It's an Omega not a classic Porsche.

Soldato
This seemed like only a slightly bad idea until you mentioned you have a diesel XF as well, now it might be the worst idea posted this year :p

I love Omegas, but I can’t see any situation where I’d choose one over an XF for that kind of mileage. In fact, I’d pay a lot extra to drive the XF. Considering it’ll save you money as well, it’s a total no brainer.

Soldato
I'd just change belts, fluids, tyres and drive the thing. With an old car like that you can change 60% of the components and something else might fail, there's no real guarantee of reliabililty by replacing tons of parts.

Back
Top Bottom