**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Maybe I'm not controlling the plane properly I tried a 747 or whatever it is and was struggling to get to 50k ft spending forever ascending at 250Knots and only way I could get near 500 was to descent so fast the plane crashed .

The maximum cruise altitude of the 747 won’t be much over 40,000ft, probably 43,000Ft or something like that. As you climb and the air gets thinner, the indicated airspeed (think of this as the air that the aircraft “feels”) will increasingly differ from the aircraft’s groundspeed (how much actual distance you’re travelling over time). Long story short, climb at 250kts indicated to 10,000ft, then 280kts until you see a Mach number of 0.78, then climb at that Mach number to whatever altitude you want. You’ll notice that at, for example, 38,000 ft, you’ll be flying at something like Mach 0.80 and the groundspeed will be something like 450kts (wind will affect this). So, whilst the airspeed indicator will be showing airspeed of something like 250kts, you’re actually covering 450 nautical miles every hour. Make sense?!

Soldato
Soldato
The maximum cruise altitude of the 747 won’t be much over 40,000ft, probably 43,000Ft or something like that. As you climb and the air gets thinner, the indicated airspeed (think of this as the air that the aircraft “feels”) will increasingly differ from the aircraft’s groundspeed (how much actual distance you’re travelling over time). Long story short, climb at 250kts indicated to 10,000ft, then 280kts until you see a Mach number of 0.78, then climb at that Mach number to whatever altitude you want. You’ll notice that at, for example, 38,000 ft, you’ll be flying at something like Mach 0.80 and the groundspeed will be something like 450kts (wind will affect this). So, whilst the airspeed indicator will be showing airspeed of something like 250kts, you’re actually covering 450 nautical miles every hour. Make sense?!

Yep, took me a while to figure this out as I'm new to flight sims. I was also wondering why I could only get to 250kts when I read the cruise speed of an a320 should be 450+kts. Only after nearly losing the will to live did I notice the true airspeed indicator and mach indicator!

Associate
For those that get crash to desktop randomly check your wireless devices. I think there is a bug where if they get disconnected or enter sleep mode it causes MSFS to freeze and subsequently CTD. Worth trying wired devices instead to see if that solves your problem.

Associate
Tried it briefly, did most of the training at the start and then went to a few cities, the terrain in the training honestly looks crap, not that impressive.

Cities were unplayable, 30fps at most, but they looked decent for what it was worth, not sure how they can explain 30fps on a 3900x and 2080Ti

This needs to be patched.

Soldato
Tried it briefly, did most of the training at the start and then went to a few cities, the terrain in the training honestly looks crap, not that impressive.

Cities were unplayable, 30fps at most, but they looked decent for what it was worth, not sure how they can explain 30fps on a 3900x and 2080Ti

This needs to be patched.

To be fair, no flight sim gets much more than 60fps at best, let alone one just released. 30fps is perfectly playable for a simulator. I get the impression that a lot of people complaining about this game have never played one before.

Associate
To be fair, no flight sim gets much more than 60fps at best, let alone one just released. 30fps is perfectly playable for a simulator. I get the impression that a lot of people complaining about this game have never played one before.

It feels like a slideshow in cities, it's not even a stable 30fps, I started in London and it was 20fps. I wasn't even using the highest settings.

The visuals are good in places but performance is horrible, I guess you could just stay out of cities where it's 90fps+ but that's not much fun.

Associate
Yep, same problem. I've tried changing it from Azure to Windows Offline, no difference. Pretty sure I've got the English text to speech installed too. Gonna try and install the US English pack to see if that works.

Edit: Installing the US English voice pack fixes the Windows Offline mode, but it sounds very robotic obviously.

Hi Michael I am yet to hear any ATC whatsoever. It’s about the only issue I have. Have both packs uk and US English packs installed but neither Azure or windows offline work. I have to keep the ATC window open the whole time. Did you have to set the US as default or anything? It’s odd because in the game it states it needs the English pack installed for offline... I think anyway.. happy to get anything working until the Azure setting is sorted

Thanks mate

Soldato
Hi Michael I am yet to hear any ATC whatsoever. It’s about the only issue I have. Have both packs uk and US English packs installed but neither Azure or windows offline work. I have to keep the ATC window open the whole time. Did you have to set the US as default or anything? It’s odd because in the game it states it needs the English pack installed for offline... I think anyway.. happy to get anything working until the Azure setting is sorted

Thanks mate
ATC voices are completely random for me, sometimes i hear them other times all i hear is the static of the mic click at the start and end of their messages or nothing at all.

Soldato

Thanks mate

Nope - I had UK as default. Just installed the US pack as well, switched it from Azure to Windows Offline and it started working. I think I actually prefer the voices to Azure.

Soldato
Have found a workaround for the X52 PRO.

Launch the game with the X52 PRO DISCONNECTED.

When the game is on the opening menu, CONNECT the X52.

The game detects the controller and sets default mappings.

Special thanks to MisterMcThot on the Steam forums.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1250410/discussions/6/5188663423663312768/

unfortunately doesn’t work for me. Also got the x52 non pro. If I connect at the welcome screen the game just CTD. If I connect in options menu it shows as the x52 but no mappings.

Does anyone else also have a 27mb update (presumably the same one) every time they fire up the game?

Back
Top Bottom