Need more home security, but how?

Associate
Hi everyone. Due to a neighbour who's behaviour is of some concern to me ( mental health problem and probable hard drug use) , I've decided this would be a good time to get my home more secure.

I've had a bit of advice from the Police ( advice from them seems hard to come by, whatever happened to crime prevention dept?) who suggest first step is a smart doorbell .
I already have a nest central heating device.
In the area I live the wifi signal is sometimes hit and miss.
What should I be looking for in a device and what is the law on these camera devices in a shared right of way to our houses?
With thanks, in anticipation

Caporegime
A moat filled with crocodiles, drawbridge and archer tower.

Thanks, I was looking for a more high tec answer, about doorbells

:D :D

My main concern with a smart doorbell is that they all have some level of delay before you get the notification on your phone. Some of the earlier ones used to take so long that by the time you got the notification, the visitor had given up waiting...

What exactly does this person do? Just randomly knock on the door etc?

Soldato
They're not that bad anymore. But a lot of it will be dependant on your WiFi signal near the doorbell placement. If it's out of range, or patchy, then you'll probably want an AP closer to where the doorbell will be located.

When you say you've got concerns regarding the law around use of it in shared areas. Do you live in a flat with a communal corridor or something?

Associate
OP
:D :D

My main concern with a smart doorbell is that they all have some level of delay before you get the notification on your phone. Some of the earlier ones used to take so long that by the time you got the notification, the visitor had given up waiting...

What exactly does this person do? Just randomly knock on the door etc?

Initially I just thought I wanted some kind of basic cctv, to record who was coming and going past my front door, in case anyone accessed the walkway ,who shouldn't be there, should there be future problems.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
They're not that bad anymore. But a lot of it will be dependant on your WiFi signal near the doorbell placement. If it's out of range, or patchy, then you'll probably want an AP closer to where the doorbell will be located.

When you say you've got concerns regarding the law around use of it in shared areas. Do you live in a flat with a communal corridor or something?
Yes there's a shared private walkway past my door and I'm not sure whether it's classed as public private or what. I'm not scared but more concerned about prevention and safeguarding my property if I'm out.Ive not got any great valuables.Its not at a point where it's out of control, but I'd rather be prepared.
It's not a flat, it's my own home but has a non standard construction , old house

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I

I haven't changed my broadband yet, to fast , as it wasn't available before.

Soldato
Yes there's a shared private walkway past my door and I'm not sure whether it's classed as public private or what. I'm not scared but more concerned about prevention and safeguarding my property if I'm out.Ive not got any great valuables.Its not at a point where it's out of control, but I'd rather be prepared.
It's not a flat, it's my own home but has a non standard construction , old house

It's a bit of a grey area when it comes to share private areas.

The gist of the law is outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

Does your door look directly at a neighbours front door? I know when we lived in a flat our door was directly opposite a neighbours door, and i'm sure if we'd put a video doorbell up, the neighbour could complain about breach of privacy because it's facing directly into their flat.

Associate
A couple of Ring cameras that run on batteries could work. You can angle them to just cover your property. Combined with the smart doorbell (also battery operated), could be a low effort thing and a visual deterrent.

Soldato
How is his behaviour concerning you? Are you worried of being attacked in your home? If so, a smart doorbell is not going to do much. I'd be more concerned with making sure the doors don't open after a few well placed kicks.

Associate
OP
It's a bit of a grey area when it comes to share private areas.

The gist of the law is outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

Does your door look directly at a neighbours front door? I know when we lived in a flat our door was directly opposite a neighbours door, and i'm sure if we'd put a video doorbell up, the neighbour could complain about breach of privacy because it's facing directly into their flat.

No, my front door faces a wall.

Associate
It's a her not a he.I'm not concerned about violence, more burglary.

In this instance I really dont see how a smart doorbell makes any sense then. If someone is going to put in the effort / risk to break in a smart door bell is really unlikely to stop them.......

Spending big money on secure front / rear doors / deadbolts / alarm systems / triple glazing is really the way to go. No matter how smart the latest ring doorbell is, it isn't going to beat laminated glass, or a big steel plate in your door when it comes to stopping people getting in.

At minimum make sure you have decent cylinders / locks in all your external doors, and if they are the basic UPVC style make sure there is some kind of re-enforcment and they arent the ones where you can jsut kick the bottom panel out (theres no point paying for quality locks if you can just break the door).

Back
Top Bottom