Which smartphone for seniors?

Associate
I can only speak from my own experience of setting up for a 95 year old. Depends what you want them to use it for. If its just to make calls, use one of your older phones (I set up an Honor) and set shortcuts up on the home screen (I use pictures of who he wants to call).

I did set up WhatsApp but only so that he can receive video calls - its all a bit hit and miss though

It depends on how much patience you have to set anything else up. The issue is if they arrive at a page/screen they aren't familiar with

Soldato
OP
I can only speak from my own experience of setting up for a 95 year old. Depends what you want them to use it for. If its just to make calls, use one of your older phones (I set up an Honor) and set shortcuts up on the home screen (I use pictures of who he wants to call).

I did set up WhatsApp but only so that he can receive video calls - its all a bit hit and miss though

It depends on how much patience you have to set anything else up. The issue is if they arrive at a page/screen they aren't familiar with

Yeh. And he's pressing extra buttons on dial pad. Maybe a voice dialer would help?

I thought about just having icons like you said and looking for a custom dialer, one you don't have to swipe to answer. Just simple as possible but also so you can't make a mistake.

So like 0800800800 would be like 0800778008800. They it gets tricky deleting numbers.

Associate
So 82 yo senior, not good with tech and not interested. What smartphone and setup would be easiest?

Any ideas on your budget range?

My suggestions would be iPhone SE for £419 in UK or $400 USA (without taxes). Here is a good short video of the phone and setup process so you can decide before making the jump:

Edit: updated correct video

Last edited:
Soldato
Most Android manufacturers have their own "easy mode" as well which could help, generally makes things bigger and easier to see and have a touch delay function too for accidental touches.

You can then further do things like lock the home screen after setting up all the necessary apps.

Something like iPhone SE could be good just because of the physical button, if they ever get lost on an unknown screen then just need to press that to return to the home screen, in fact exactly how I taught someone who's poor with tech to use their phone :D

Associate
^^^ yes. You could look at the Moto G8 which is £170 on amazon. It has Android as its operating system and is great if you want a budget option.

Associate
More like price range, even that if only used for calls is seems excessive.
I didn't know people still make calls from their mobile phones - JK! Yeah the thing is you also want a good product - there are many cheaper options but then again your experience with them won't be great so I'd say the G8 is one of the best bets if you are looking for under £200 unless you go used or older generation

Soldato
We've tried the Doro but tbh I don't think they are that intuitive. But the best of a bad lot maybe. Tried the basic Nokia kinda same deal. Likewise Android and iPhones.

Associate
I have been testing launchers to get a set up that suits my mums poor vision and reckon that a launcher locked in a simple mode is probably the best way forward for oldies and in that case an android phone with big screen is what you want, cheap as you can find really as they won't use the features, well at least not yet.

Back
Top Bottom