Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
Why? My last phone was an LG G6 which was replaced last week with a Huawei P20 Pro. Both of these phones worked flawlessly with Starling, not sure what Samsung is aiming for here?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't see the appeal, but I am in the Apple ecosystem. It's basically Curve with a Sasmung frock, so I guess it may bring in new customers for Curve with the greater exposure.

Soldato
Why? My last phone was an LG G6 which was replaced last week with a Huawei P20 Pro. Both of these phones worked flawlessly with Starling, not sure what Samsung is aiming for here?

I don't see the appeal, but I am in the Apple ecosystem. It's basically Curve with a Sasmung frock, so I guess it may bring in new customers for Curve with the greater exposure.

Because finTech. They think it's the next big thing, and they are probably looking at countries with crap payments systems and charges like USA, Canada, the whole of the Caribbean, where they want to see ID and have you sign the receipt. Europe has been so far ahead for so long. I don't include Japan, and S Korea, as they have their own systems that make European bankers heads explode.

Caporegime
Because finTech. They think it's the next big thing, and they are probably looking at countries with crap payments systems and charges like USA, Canada, the whole of the Caribbean, where they want to see ID and have you sign the receipt. Europe has been so far ahead for so long. I don't include Japan, and S Korea, as they have their own systems that make European bankers heads explode.

This is a good point actually. When I think about how 'Murica does banking in some areas it starts to make sense. Some folks out there still carry a chequebook!

Soldato
I was travelling with a girl that lives in Canada. She was amazed when Revolut came there. She could pay for things abroad without additional charges. Then she told me to load the card with Canadian dollars from her current bank account she had to pay a fee.

Soldato
Tell that to the two Canadians (Quebec) I travelled with, happily paying for things with it having signed up in Canada with Canadian addresses. In fact, it looks like Revolut has been testing in Quebec since Jan 2020

Okay rephrase; the full functioning Revolut account is not available in Canada yet. Testing in Quebec has been available before this year.

Is it not the Canadian bank account charging for the transfers though?

Soldato
https://sifted.eu/articles/a-comparison-of-uk-top-three-digital-banks/

Comparison of Starling, Monzo and Revolut annual figures.
That first table seems utterly pointless? Three different date ranges (one for each bank) gives absolutely zero information and accuracy in comparisons, articles like that need to get in the bin. Use the same actual periods and then you're onto a fair comparison but as that stands (whether it's different countries FYs or not) it's next to useless because they aren't using the same start and end date so quite literally anything could have happened to gain/lose money for one of the banks.

Soldato
Does anyone use one of these types of accounts for business?

My nephew was asking me whether he should use one of these ones (I hadn't heard of the specific one he mentioned*) for his new business rather than one of the conventional banks, but I didn't know enough about them to advise him.

*I had a quick look and saw it wasn't covered under the FSCS

Associate

I think the angle is that Samsung Pay has had slow uptake from banks and this helps eliminate that problem...

My nephew was asking me whether he should use one of these ones (I hadn't heard of the specific one he mentioned) for his new business rather than one of the conventional banks, but I didn't know enough about them to advise him.

I have a personal and business account with Starling. I did so because there were zero charges, most of the traditional banks seemed to have a standard monthly charge and/or transaction charges.

Soldato
That first table seems utterly pointless? Three different date ranges (one for each bank) gives absolutely zero information and accuracy in comparisons, articles like that need to get in the bin. Use the same actual periods and then you're onto a fair comparison but as that stands (whether it's different countries FYs or not) it's next to useless because they aren't using the same start and end date so quite literally anything could have happened to gain/lose money for one of the banks.

Because it's all you can go off? Companies don't release monthly accounts so using their annual accounts is all you can do.

It's like comparing Nike to Adidas, they'll run accounts to different points but they still all cover a full yearly period and it's the best you can do.

Soldato
Because it's all you can go off? Companies don't release monthly accounts so using their annual accounts is all you can do.

It's like comparing Nike to Adidas, they'll run accounts to different points but they still all cover a full yearly period and it's the best you can do.

It will be the same period - a year. All companies don’t have to have the same financial year.

Soldato

My nephew was asking me whether he should use one of these ones (I hadn't heard of the specific one he mentioned*) for his new business rather than one of the conventional banks, but I didn't know enough about them to advise him.

*I had a quick look and saw it wasn't covered under the FSCS

I switched to Starling for Personal and Business about a month or so ago - All running well without any issues. I’d recommend them.

Soldato
I have a personal and business account with Starling. I did so because there were zero charges, most of the traditional banks seemed to have a standard monthly charge and/or transaction charges.

Yea, that did look to be the attraction

I switched to Starling for Personal and Business about a month or so ago - All running well without any issues. I’d recommend them.

Cheers, I've passed on the recommendation

Back
Top Bottom