• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
tiredcompassionateallensbigearedbat

I'm not sure the data read is correct unfortunately. If you look here you can see low pci-e utilization and yet the game has clear performance penalty at x8 vs x16. That would mean it's a very narrow bottleneck. There's just something screwy with this game but without a proper gpu profiler I doubt the data from these tools (gpuz etc) as well.

One of the things with PCI-e and games - while you have lots of bandwidth that is measured over a second the actual amount of bandwidth per a game frame and any latency involved can be a more complicated story.

I keep seeing mention of PCI-e bandwidth constraints with HZD but every time I look into them it just comes back to one person's remarks in an article they did without actual graphs or a study of it? and I can't see anything about it in that video? (other than they chart bus controller utilisation - which does tend to give an indication but won't show spikes in bandwidth use, etc.).

Soldato
Instead of trying to invent some fancy way of measuring pcie usage I prefer to just use fps. All else being equal, if pcie4 x16 is faster than pcie3 x16 then pcie4 is better and that GPU needs pcie4 to stretch its legs.

Soldato
LOL at the people that say if there priced to high i just buy a console...
PC gaming can't mean that much at all to them..

I have spend thousands on building my PC gaming rig setup, Monitor, Mice, Speakers, PC Chair etc and have thousands of pounds worth of PC games and there no way i could think ok i just buy a console if these new GPU's are highly priced
Not a lot of people enjoying your post I am afraid. Add me to the list.

"PC gaming can't mean that much at all to them.." Yup, you are right. I (like most PC gamers left) am in my 30s now and yeah, it means very little to me. I have 2 kids. PC gaming is absolutely take it or leave it. And at these GPU prices it's leave it. the value just isnt there for a " a bit of fun" on an occassional evening between work and family time. Does that mean I will go to console? No probably not. But shock horror!! there is a life outside of gaming. I enjoy kayaking, wakeboarding, MTB, running, sailing. Plenty plenty ways to spend (or invest) £1500 other than a graphics card that makes a game I can already play look slightly slightly better, or run slightly smoother. What a total waste.

Man of Honour
Instead of trying to invent some fancy way of measuring pcie usage I prefer to just use fps. All else being equal, if pcie4 x16 is faster than pcie3 x16 then pcie4 is better and that GPU needs pcie4 to stretch its legs.

You do realise that if not much bandwidth is needed with PCI-E switching from 3.0 to 2.0 can actually increase the fps as there is less work for the CPU to do. This is an old benching trick.

Caporegime
Not a lot of people enjoying your post I am afraid. Add me to the list.

"PC gaming can't mean that much at all to them.." Yup, you are right. I (like most PC gamers left) am in my 30s now and yeah, it means very little to me. I have 2 kids. PC gaming is absolutely take it or leave it. And at these GPU prices it's leave it. the value just isnt there for a " a bit of fun" on an occassional evening between work and family time. Does that mean I will go to console? No probably not. But shock horror!! there is a life outside of gaming. I enjoy kayaking, wakeboarding, MTB, running, sailing. Plenty plenty ways to spend (or invest) £1500 other than a graphics card that makes a game I can already play look slightly slightly better, or run slightly smoother. What a total waste.

I have a ton of indoor and outdoor hobbies but PC gaming is still important to me (though less so than when I was younger of course). I really don't see why this thread has turned into such a: "get on your soap box and tell us how PC gaming is no longer important to you"... no-one cares in the context of this thread. Yes the new Nvidia cards will be expensive, yes Nvidia are a greedy and arrogant corporation, but PC gaming has always been an expensive hobby comparable to consoles and we will always pay a premium to power the games at the levels we want. There is very little 'practical' about PC gaming and the rigs required to enjoy it, we do it because it is a hobby and a passion. If the pricing of the new Ampere cards, when published, is not acceptable then make it known by writing to Nvidia on their social media or customer services. Don't buy anything you feel is overpriced, stick to a budget you are comfortable with and if AMD offer better value for the performance then buy that instead.

It's little different in principle to amateur photographers spending thousands for one lens to add to their collection that they will use to take photos far, far less than a GPU will be used for gaming. Value is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to enthusiast hobbies and if someone gets a lot of happiness from buying a GPU then it is money well spent. To put things into perspective, many people go out and get blotto and literally spend hundreds or thousands per year on alcohol without blinking an eye... that to me as someone who spent years doing it is, upon reflection, the pinnacle of wasting your money. In comparison, spending money on your PC is a worthwhile investment.

Soldato
It's little different in principle to amateur photographers spending thousands for one lens to add to their collection that they will use to take photos far, far less than a GPU will be used for gaming. Value is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to enthusiast hobbies and if someone gets a lot of happiness from buying a GPU then it is money well spent. To put things into perspective, many people go out and get blotto and literally spend hundreds or thousands per year on alcohol without blinking an eye... that to me as someone who spent years doing it is, upon reflection, the pinnacle of wasting your money. In comparison, spending money on your PC is a worthwhile investment.

I'm not having a go at the cost of PC gaming per say, or spending money on it as a hobby.

The problem is, camera lens prices haven't suddenly DOUBLED in the last few years. And this price hike being enabled, green lighted and encouraged by the photographers still buying them.
My point is the fault of this lies with those who willingly told Nvidia they were happy with these new prices. If everyone had said no. this is ridiculous, and not bought the cards, even just for a few weeks!, Nvidia would have been forced to put the prices back down to reasonable levels.
But no. idiots.

Soldato
23 July 2015 I bought the Inno 3D Geforce GTX 980TI X4 Air Boss Ultra 6GB GDDR5 for £539.99 by far the most expensive card I had ever bought. That card is still running in my daughters current computer and has been terrific value. In 2018 I bought a 2070RTX for all but £500, a third tier card in comparison to the 980Ti, this is where we are today. I'm 63yrs young and I doubt I will ever buy another top tier card again due to the constant greed of companies like Nvidia who are strangling PC gaming, sad really they dont care and its all about money. Drop the prices guys, by a lot, and sell a lot more cards as a result and give the Pc gaming industry a much needed boost, or let it become for the rich only and watch the gaming consoles all but take over. I still like gaming and I have just upgraded my PC but I have to say the gaming consoles are looking the way to go.

Soldato
Moore’s Law has “a source” that is claiming it to be 21st

Tbh I’m sceptical of his sauces and eve use of the term but gotta say if it turns out to be true reputation will be earned
I like AMD as much as the next guy but I'm sorry, Moores law and NAAF are just pure AMD fanboys. They hate Nvidia with a passion. Wouldn't trust them for anything unbiased.

Caporegime
I'm not having a go at the cost of PC gaming per say, or spending money on it as a hobby.

The problem is, camera lens prices haven't suddenly DOUBLED in the last few years. And this price hike being enabled, green lighted and encouraged by the photographers still buying them.
My point is the fault of this lies with those who willingly told Nvidia they were happy with these new prices. If everyone had said no. this is ridiculous, and not bought the cards, even just for a few weeks!, Nvidia would have been forced to put the prices back down to reasonable levels.
But no. idiots.

They charge what people will pay... from their perspective GPU's have been underpriced vs the market demand... that's capitalism and Nvidia certainly did not invent or pioneer it.

23 July 2015 I bought the Inno 3D Geforce GTX 980TI X4 Air Boss Ultra 6GB GDDR5 for £539.99 by far the most expensive card I had ever bought. That card is still running in my daughters current computer and has been terrific value. In 2018 I bought a 2070RTX for all but £500, a third tier card in comparison to the 980Ti, this is where we are today. I'm 63yrs young and I doubt I will ever buy another top tier card again due to the constant greed of companies like Nvidia who are strangling PC gaming, sad really they dont care and its all about money. Drop the prices guys, by a lot, and sell a lot more cards as a result and give the Pc gaming industry a much needed boost, or let it become for the rich only and watch the gaming consoles all but take over. I still like gaming and I have just upgraded my PC but I have to say the gaming consoles are looking the way to go.

You do not need to be rich to afford a £1200 GPU. Plenty of people with regular jobs can save up and buy one. In addition, there are a lot of GPU's further down the heirarchy that are more affordable so why are we acting like the Ti is the only thing people will buy? The 3070/3080 will undoubtedly be huge sellers.

Moore's law is dead is a troll who just makes up stuff

That is a false and factually incorrect statement and you know it. Regardless of whether you like him or not, or whether everything he is told is accurate and comes true, he clearly has inside sources who provide him with information that is consistent with other insider rumours.

Caporegime
Explain how turing sold poorly then? And they had to re-launch it with the super lineup that was more appropriately priced.
Oh God... this again? Turing didn't 'sell poorly', I made a post showing how it didn't sell poorly earlier in the thread. Overall, Turing has made a significant profit for Nvidia.

Unless there is some other definition of 'selling poorly' that I'm not aware of? :confused:

Associate
Oh God... this again? Turing didn't 'sell poorly', I made a post showing how it didn't sell poorly earlier in the thread. Overall, Turing has made a significant profit for Nvidia.

Unless there is some other definition of 'selling poorly' that I'm not aware of? :confused:

He meant volume not GP and yes pre-2070S Turing did sell below expectations but you just choose to be blind to this hence it keeps coming up

Associate
I like AMD as much as the next guy but I'm sorry, Moores law and NAAF are just pure AMD fanboys. They hate Nvidia with a passion. Wouldn't trust them for anything unbiased.

Moore's Law I havent made my mind up yet... I want to see what transpires to see if he is credible or not, he's been pretty upbeat about Ampere the past few months.

As for NAAF:
So how do you account for him literally ripping into AMD over the 5700XT pricing, Radeon 7 being a card that should never have been released, B450 chipset support and "they dun messed up if Big Navi die is too small"... NAAF hates anti-consumer practices and he happens to be more on AMDs side because they are less anti-consumer. If Nvidia do a good thing I've no doubt he'll praise them for it... I think you've misunderstood his motives/intentions personally. What he does tend to do is follow AdhoredTV lead on things imho, he's a more reactive techstreamer than an investigative type.

Caporegime
He meant volume not GP and yes pre-2070S Turing did sell below expectations but you just choose to be blind to this hence it keeps coming up
'Blind' to what? Even if it initially sold in lower volumes than Nvidia would have liked or expected, it didn't by any definition 'sell poorly' when the overall lifecycle is taken into account, which is in the end all that matters at this point. It was still a successful series of GPU's for Nvidia and no amount of cherry-picking of the facts can change that.

Associate
I believe the Turing sales were below expectations initially until the Super cards were released.

I think the exception was the 2080Ti. A Super version wasn't released and the price wasn't reduced significantly. I feel Nvidia were happy with the lower sales and bigger margins on it.

Caporegime
I believe the Turing sales were below expectations initially until the Super cards were released.

Yes, common knowledge and that still does not equate to these all-encompassing statements of: "Turing sold poorly" that people keep throwing out there.

I think the exception was the 2080Ti. A Super version wasn't released and the price wasn't reduced significantly. I feel Nvidia were happy with the lower sales and bigger margins on it.

Yeah agreed, I think the 2080 Ti did better than they were expecting... ironic given its price.

Back
Top Bottom