**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Was taking off from London and had about 25 players on my screen with the FPS dropping to as low as 15 FPS with a 2080 super. Multiplayer is very demanding

Is it not CPU demand? From my own experience playing the game and watching the graphs, it's the CPU holding back my frame rate. My 7700k at 4.7GHz as well, so it's no slouch...

Soldato
I saw a YT clip of the 747 climbing at 9600fpm which is totally absurd. Read elsewhere you could probably get 4000fpm In real life with minimal fuel and cargo, but most passenger aircraft climb at between 1500 and 2000fpm to maintain passenger comfort. Sadly not just the GA aircraft that are way off in performance. Just hoping it won’t be too long for some decent third party stuff.

You can do some impossible stuff in this with the right assistance settings turned on...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People have been playing every iteration of FS since the 80s and we now have the most ridiculous graphical simulation to build on.

danoliver1 “I’m bored of this after a day”.
He obviously purchased as a game rather than a flight sim. But even as a game I would get a hell of a lot more fun out of it than a day before getting bored :p

Associate
Good post, and spoken with far more confidence and assurance in the subject than I!

In addition, you hear stories of some more stingy airlines who fuel up to the absolute minimum they can get away with too, to ensure their aircraft is as light as possible. I guess at some point there will be international safety laws that ensure aircraft are fuelled sufficiently at all times, but I guess there will be some that push it as close to the wire as they can get away with.

All UK airlines have to be stingy, because fuel costs are astronomically high compared to other operating costs. The amount of fuel is carefully calculated and legally required.

The flight plan will tell you how much fuel you need which, in basic terms, will be this as a minimum:
- Fuel to taxi to the departure runway
- Fuel to fly to destination
- 30 minutes holding fuel
- Fuel to get to alternate

You’re not legally obliged to take any extra and there is a 3 or 5% contingency built into the figure which covers most eventualities such as not getting the cruise level you expect etc.

Most UK airlines will ask the commander to justify taking any fuel above this amount. Different airlines have subtlety different attitudes to taking extra fuel, but there is rarely anything beyond a gentle pressure to not take more than you need.

The usual reasons for taking extra would be forecast bad weather (enroute or at destination) or experience of delays (you’ll always hold on your way into a busy airport such as Heathrow).

In reality, if you took the minimum fuel as calculated by the flight plan every day, you’d be fine 99% of the time, so there’s no suggestion that taking minimum fuel marks you out as some sort of cowboy. The 1% (actually less) when this fuel isn’t enough will result in a diversion and associated costs, but this cost is lower than taking extra fuel on every flight and therefore adding unnecessary weight to the aircraft which, in turn, means the fuel burn is higher. Everything relates to the cost of fuel.

The rare exception is fuel tankering, where you take as much as you can fit/need, restricted by the maximum takeoff or landing weight of the aircraft or, in extreme cases, the maximum amount of fuel you can fit in the tanks. The cost of fuel tankering is calculated for every flight and reflects the price of fuel in each airport. If, for example, you’re going from Gatwick to Nice and back, the fuel prices at each airport will be looked at to work out whether it’s worth carrying extra. If you needed 5000kgs of fuel to get to Nice and 5000kgs to get back, it’d be worked out whether it’s actually cheaper to just load up 10000kgs in Gatwick and carry the extra to Nice so that you don’t need to buy your fuel there at higher cost. It’s a questionable practice because, whilst it saves money, it unnecessarily burns fuel so doesn’t fit too well with the industry’s green credentials...

Man of Honour
:D

It's a flight sim - what did you expect? Non-stop action and a gripping storyline?!?

I wouldnt mind a career mode (apologies if there is one), something sort of akin to the progression modes in F1 or EU/US Truck Simulator. Would be pretty cool if I had to start off training to fly, then signing up for a company and being allocated short range, limited cargo/passenger flights in small aircraft, progress up through the career onto larger and larger aircraft, maybe have job offers etc from other companies and progress from small minor routes eventually ending up as a full blown international airline pilot on major routes, where schedules and arriving on time etc effect my performance and chances of promotion and so on.

Its a superb sandbox though but I'd still quite fancy a full blown career mode.

Associate
Has anyone managed to map an analogue control to the Choke in the Cub? Mixture 1 Axis doesn't seem to work and searching the controls for Choke gives nothing

Soldato
I wouldnt mind a career mode (apologies if there is one), something sort of akin to the progression modes in F1 or EU/US Truck Simulator. Would be pretty cool if I had to start off training to fly, then signing up for a company and being allocated short range, limited cargo/passenger flights in small aircraft, progress up through the career onto larger and larger aircraft, maybe have job offers etc from other companies and progress from small minor routes eventually ending up as a full blown international airline pilot on major routes, where schedules and arriving on time etc effect my performance and chances of promotion and so on.

I completely agree with you there - Would love to see some sort of Career Mode akin to ETS2.

However, Flight Simulator has always been one thing - A giant sandbox, with a massive Mod/DLC community. Microsoft have done their bit and made the sandbox, now it's time for 10+ years of extra planes, buildings, landscapes, modes, UI etc. :D

At the end of the day, Microsoft made the simulator, other companies can make a game out of it :p

Soldato

All of that is a fair criticism imo. MS have clearly tried to appeal to all corners of the market with this product and the suggestions you made above would certainly add value to the game at the broader "gamer" market, for sure.

Soldato

All that was possible with previous sims using third party addons so it's likely to come in time. FSEconomy and OnAir are already working in beta with the new sim.

Associate

There is a mode for FSX "Cargo Pilot" which offered career mode but it wasn't that good. I would like to see something similar in FS2020

Getting a bit bored of this now. Gameplays a bit samy.
I had same experience during alpha, world looks nice aircraft looks nice, but controls and flying is unrealistic. This meant to be simulator but it does not simulate flying correctly, I would rather wait months for Asobo to fix common issues rather than play this scenery demo.

Associate
I had same experience during alpha, world looks nice aircraft looks nice, but controls and flying is unrealistic. This meant to be simulator but it does not simulate flying correctly, I would rather wait months for Asobo to fix common issues rather than play this scenery demo.

Even with all assists off?

Soldato
This game seems really hard to play with just an XBOX Controller and I wish on the map it highlighted places, so the city you were flying over it actually pointed the particular place out.

Yep the globe selection could do with some place names, my Geography is good but I've found myself having google maps open on my iPad to try and locate places I've been on holiday etc.

Soldato
Most of the "career" add-ons for previous FS required you to complete the flight in one sitting, not always easy.

But I agree this would enhance the experience with some purpose rather than just numerous free flights.

Back
Top Bottom