** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
The G7 27 inch, is currently on deal of the day in case anyone is interested, with a whopping 3% discount!!!, I have seen more generous discounts for a mouse mat LOL....

Considering the current custer**** of a launch, and Samsung's terrible QC, I intend on waiting till end year/next year before making any kind of buying decisions with regards to gaming screens, as I will be buying 2 different ones, so need to get it right....

Still OC, £20 saving on an already OVERPRICED monitor for £550 is not impressive...
Curious why you think it's overpriced?

The monitor market has always been around the £400-500 for mid range gaming monitors this one has a good VA panels so has the picture quality advantages over the GL850/GL83a and the other IPS screens priced around that and higher plus fast response and 240hz packed with a crsp load of features. If you meant the bugs then fair enough.

As a G7 owner I would also recommend waiting too while my unit is fine, it seems a mixed bag right now.

Permabanned
Dropped pictures to avoid space hogging, but I just bought G7 27'' and have bee experimenting with those settings from your pictures.
I have set my both monitors to have 10bpc, but also instead of RGB have set both of them (Dell U2718Q and Odyssey G7) to YcbCr444. Any reason to keep it on RGB as you have??

In G7 have turned off Adaptive Sync and set response time to Fast and 240hx refresh and have very weird behaviour where one of my monitors would completely lose picture without any known to me way of restoring it, to point where I had to resort to removing power cable.
It seems like Netflix app on Win10 is unable to be moved between screens without making that behaviour.

Just RGB is the norm for PC's and was advised by Hardware Unboxed review on YT (I used their settings for rest of it to).

This G7/G9 was shown early last year at that big show (CES or such) I think it was late to the stores shelves partly due to covid and partly due to the issues so basically it will be soon time for another new model to launch (beyond the 1/2 way mark now) unless Samsung do not make a new one every year as I am not sure how old its predecessor is.

Last edited:
Associate
Certainly not happy about it so far, just now started my comp and monitor simply refused to start - no power on nipple, no reaction to press or move of nipple, Windows didn't even recognised it as attached monitor. Had to power it off and on from brick and even then had to wait for it to get live again..

BTW: upgraded firmware to 1005.02 already

Associate
Curious why you think it's overpriced?

Because specs are one thing, delivering on them, along with reliable, predictable performance and solid quality control are another thing entirely, which Samsung have failed to do. Hence it is overpriced, because the price is jacked up for the "intended" high end quality of the product. This monitor is in the HIGH END with regards to pricing of 1440p monitors, you cannot justify that with specs on paper, the product needs to deliver those specs reliably, which clearly, they do not.

Permabanned
Considering inflation and cost of living/wages etc this monitor is relatively cheap, one of the very first ever G-Sync monitors the Asus ROG 1440p TN POS was £630+ at launch AFAIR and that was 2013 again AFAIR.

PG278Q < May have been this model.

Problem is it does not live up to specs fully or even work as intended.

Associate
Because specs are one thing, delivering on them, along with reliable, predictable performance and solid quality control are another thing entirely, which Samsung have failed to do. Hence it is overpriced, because the price is jacked up for the "intended" high end quality of the product. This monitor is in the HIGH END with regards to pricing of 1440p monitors, you cannot justify that with specs on paper, the product needs to deliver those specs reliably, which clearly, they do not.

I do agree that there are issues as mentioned that need ironing out but I personally do not see this monitor as expensive, if an IPS screen had these specs you're looking at a much higher price point with inferior image quality overall. Outside of the issues a monitor of this quality and features at a price of £550 is great value but the issues and lack of consistency need to be addressed.

One thing that is ******* me off about this monitor is the gsync keeps turning off.

Associate
Elsewhere, had 4 in stock yesterday but all gone now.

Mine's arrived, looks good besides a single dead pixel top left. Dwarfs my current desk, need to pop into Ikea!

lots of testing to do, still in awe of the sheer size.

Interesting. gives me hope that stock has hit the country and my pre-order eta for 24th will turn up!

Wouldnt mind knowing where you’re was from so I could keep an eye myself!

Associate
Good news, I just got off the phone to OC and they are expecting 57 G9's tomorrow (plus other Odyssey's but can't remember which or how many). So if you are in the top 57 of the G9 queue then hopefully you should get one shipped out. Turns out I'm now position 91, so hopefully I'll get one in the following batch.

Associate
Good news, I just got off the phone to OC and they are expecting 57 G9's tomorrow (plus other Odyssey's but can't remember which or how many). So if you are in the top 57 of the G9 queue then hopefully you should get one shipped out. Turns out I'm now position 91, so hopefully I'll get one in the following batch.

Could I ask when you ordered? I preordered 6th of June.

Just trying to guesstimate where I am in the queue...

Soldato
Certainly not happy about it so far, just now started my comp and monitor simply refused to start - no power on nipple, no reaction to press or move of nipple, Windows didn't even recognised it as attached monitor. Had to power it off and on from brick and even then had to wait for it to get live again..

BTW: upgraded firmware to 1005.02 already

Which driver are you using?

Had mine just start to do this after updating to latest driver....

Associate
Could I ask when you ordered? I preordered 6th of June.

Just trying to guesstimate where I am in the queue...
As PaulR75 said, you should definitely receive one over the next few days. :) I pre-ordered on the 11th July, from what I understand the batch that arrives tomorrow should cover nearly all of the remaining June pre-orders.

So, Sobtanian, PaulR75 and everyone else in that batch, I hope you get good monitors with QC stickers and no defects - please report back and let us know how you get on. :)

Associate
As PaulR75 said, you should definitely receive one over the next few days. :) I pre-ordered on the 11th July, from what I understand the batch that arrives tomorrow should cover nearly all of the remaining June pre-orders.

So, Sobtanian, PaulR75 and everyone else in that batch, I hope you get good monitors with QC stickers and no defects - please report back and let us know how you get on. :)

Is this referring to the G9 or the smaller ones?

Back
Top Bottom