GAP Insurance

Soldato
I used ALA a couple of years ago when I bought my 1yr old car - back to invoice for 3yrs for really not that much - there are always voucher codes doing the rounds.
Issue I had is that I didn't hear from anyone whose actually had to claim on one. Plenty of people happy to say who they used, but don't know how good they are if the worst happens and you need their help.

Caporegime
ALA was who I last used also. Good pricing and usually a discount code to be had with a cursory search on the usual voucher sites.

I've not had to claim through ALA either, but my mother's partner has. There didn't appear to be any issues in getting the agreed difference between the insurer's valuation and the invoice price.

Soldato
OP
Had a quote from ALA. Thought it was quite expensive tbh. In fact, was more than VW wanted, ha ha.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Pretty sure it was ALA I was with when I had my 5 series too. So thought they would be top of the list.

Soldato
I used ALA a couple of years ago when I bought my 1yr old car - back to invoice for 3yrs for really not that much - there are always voucher codes doing the rounds.
Issue I had is that I didn't hear from anyone whose actually had to claim on one. Plenty of people happy to say who they used, but don't know how good they are if the worst happens and you need their help.

You have now. I used Click4Gap and absolutely hated the experience. Return to Invoice was anything but. Got a chunk of money back but it wasn't what I thought I'd paid for. Ho hum.

I use ALA now.

Soldato
total loss gap - £156 for 3 years on a £30k vehicle - back to invoice (i.e. covers the gap between what insurers pay out and the price on the invoice of the car).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions. All seem to be more expensive than the VW GAP insurance, so will probably just go with them. Thanks though.

Soldato
OP
This seems unlikely.

I was surprised too. But according to this: https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/gap-insurance

£50,001-£100,000 = £399

Every quote I've had from every company mentioned above has been over £400. All RTI quotes.

I suppose there is no mention of the period of cover there though, so I had better check that.

They also seem to be the cheapest for normal insurance too. Which I again find rather strange if I'm honest.

Associate
I was surprised too. But according to this: https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/gap-insurance

£50,001-£100,000 = £399

Every quote I've had from every company mentioned above has been over £400. All RTI quotes.

I suppose there is no mention of the period of cover there though, so I had better check that.

They also seem to be the cheapest for normal insurance too. Which I again find rather strange if I'm honest.

I'm getting quotes for 4 years of ~£340 for a brand new £52,000 Golf R (as an example). What type of car/how old/what level of cover are you expected?

So looking at the VW agreement, it's over 3 years and the max cover is 50k. Do you really need to be covered for that? For a similar agreement ALA seems to be quoting £260.25 for a £52,000 car with 50k of cover (it's recommended is 30k and that's £234.75).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Motor is £53k. When I got a quote from ALA about it, they were asking for £410 for 4 year RTI. I'll look again, but they called me to discuss the quotation, so I assume what they gave me must be correct. And is bang on in line with every other quote I got, apart from one on go compare from some alloy wheel insurance place.

Didn't clock the VW one to only be 3 years though. So that may change things a touch. Although, to be honest, after year 1 I doubt there will be any negative equity anyway.

Back
Top Bottom