• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Wonder when people will shut up about the sodding fan.

I'm not going on about the fan on the X570 boards... I know it spends most of the time not spinning on X570, but that might not be the case for a X590 with more power running through the chipset (which is implied in the page I linked to).

Soldato
I'm not going on about the fan on the X570 boards... I know it spends most of the time not spinning on X570, but that might not be the case for a X590 with more power running through the chipset (which is implied in the page I linked to).
Implied in an article over a year old by writers no longer known for their technical prowess and knowledge speculating on rumours that didn't pan out 2 months after the article was published. Did the reference to X599 motherboards not give it away how old the article was?

Ignoring the article for a second, it's unlikely that the next chipset would consume more power. The PCH on X570 is essentially the I/O die from Matisse backported to GloFo's 16nm process. It's a sloppy fudge that AMD did themselves to cover Asmedia being grossly late with their design. If a proper design was made for X670 then I fully expect it to use at least GloFo's 12nm (there is still a wafer contract in place) to take power useage down, and arguably use that reduced transistor size to reduce transistor density as well to improve thermal density.

Soldato
I need to pick up a new motherboard to pair with my 3700x. What would be the best choice if I wanted to leave my options open for upgrading to Ryzen 4000, bearing in mind I might also have a 3000 series GPU that I also want to make the most of?

Will there be new AMD motherboards to compliment the new CPU that I'd be best off holding out for?

Soldato
I need to pick up a new motherboard to pair with my 3700x. What would be the best choice if I wanted to leave my options open for upgrading to Ryzen 4000, bearing in mind I might also have a 3000 series GPU that I also want to make the most of?

Will there be new AMD motherboards to compliment the new CPU that I'd be best off holding out for?

If I was buying now, it would have to be the MSI X570 Tomahawk, without a doubt.

Associate
6pHXeSJ.png

This sums up why x570 tomahawk is so great if u care about the vrm. Ofcourse it only has 7 usb ports and has nothing fancy like the xtreme, godlike, master and hero but its like 2 to 3.5 times cheaper than those other ones, and i dont think majority of the users need post codes and all that fancy jazz the expensive boards offer.

Associate
This sums up why x570 tomahawk is so great if u care about the vrm. Ofcourse it only has 7 usb ports and has nothing fancy like the xtreme, godlike, master and hero but its like 2 to 3.5 times cheaper than those other ones, and i dont think majority of the users need post codes and all that fancy jazz the expensive boards offer.

Interesting. I have the X570-A Pro, which looks like it's about the worst. And that basically all the "budget" X570s are pretty awful. Given that Asrock and Asus have their chipset intakes right under the graphics card, the number of boards that actually have their thermal **** together, and aren't outrageously expensive is pretty small.

I'm running a 3800X at the moment, but was thinking of jumping to a 16 core Zen 3 at some point. Looks like I should consider a change in motherboard at the same time. Great!

Soldato
6pHXeSJ.png

VRMs again? Given the load and unrealistic voltage and cooling, I would say all of those are acceptable maybe bar the last two or three.

Associate
whats so unrealistic about a fully loaded 12 core why would u buy a board with poor vrm just so save a few bucks? Spend a bit more and have a good one, and feel free to upgrade to whatever cpu and oc the snot out of it with 0 airflow on the vrm (as pointless as ryzen oc might be)

Soldato
Interesting. I have the X570-A Pro, which looks like it's about the worst. And that basically all the "budget" X570s are pretty awful. Given that Asrock and Asus have their chipset intakes right under the graphics card, the number of boards that actually have their thermal **** together, and aren't outrageously expensive is pretty small.

I'm running a 3800X at the moment, but was thinking of jumping to a 16 core Zen 3 at some point. Looks like I should consider a change in motherboard at the same time. Great!
If you look at the test if says no direct airflow which is basically a case with no fans which is pretty unrealistic, add a couple of fans and you knock about 20-30c off those temps for the hotter boards so I doubt you would have anything to worry about even if you did go for a 3950X at some point, also bear in mind he is feeding it 1.4V which is more than 0.1V over what most people would recomend for daily usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom