Upgrade Time? CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

Man of Honour
My current PC has an i7-5820K CPU, Asus Rampage V Extreme Motherboard and 16GB's of RAM.

I have a 2080Ti as GPU so that is fine and game at 1440 on an ASUS 165mhz 27" screen. I wondered now FS2020 has landed should I upgrade the 3 bits above to maximise performance of the PC in that game? It is mainly a games machine so logic suggests Intel, but my questions are assuming you have freedom to spend...

1) Will upgrading these bits allow me to see noticeable improvements in performance?
2) Would simply moving my memory to 32GB help?
3) What bits would you suggest if you have no real budget cap, though don't just spec mad stuff because you can, balanced benefit / price please

Cheers
Housey

Man of Honour
OP
I have yes and it's great but I find on Ultra it can slug along a little, hence why I am pondering the upgrade and if the value gained is worth the money spent.

Man of Honour
I have yes and it's great but I find on Ultra it can slug along a little, hence why I am pondering the upgrade and if the value gained is worth the money spent.
System with 16gb of ram gets maxed out in flight sim.

Adding more ram will make for a smoother experience quoted in some of the reviews, so it may be worth getting another 16gb.

Soldato
5820k still pretty good in terms of gaming, but newer CPUs will give you a decent performance boost.

Ryzen 3700X is about ~10% FPS boost. Although if it's for pure gaming, the Intel 10700k for comparison gets another 10% FPS increase in most games compared to 3700X.

32GB RAM really helps with FS2020 from what I keep reading as well.

Edit: Maybe something like this, if wanna go Intel for pure gaming/FPS performance. Make sure you have a good cooler for it too, I'd get a good AIO like Arctic's Freezer II 280mm, or air cooler the Dark Rock Pro 4, Scythe Fuma or Alpenfohn Brocken 3.

Edit2: Or the Ryzen equivalent with 3700X...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £650.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Total: £605.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Soldato

System with 16gb of ram gets maxed out in flight sim.

Adding more ram will make for a smoother experience quoted in some of the reviews, so it may be worth getting another 16gb.

Yes going to 32gb would be the plan then. I would get that and see if fps is sufficient for you, if not send the ram back and do what Sparx has suggested. :)

You could load up a resource monitor and see how much RAM is being used when it's struggling. I know in Heathrow Airport it goes over.(probably not in the basic version). Obviously doesn't go over everywhere. If its also struggling in areas where its not using max RAM then you know that you'll need to go Sparx path.

Something else...
How's your Internet connection? Could that also affect the stuttering??

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the feedback gents.

Internet is fine, I have fibre to premise at 300mbps so no bottlenecks there.

I don't think swapping the processor and motherboard for a 10-20% uplift makes much sense, so will go with a memory swap and see how that works I think.

Soldato
Soldato
FS2020 seems a very CPU and memory intensive application.
Thanks for the feedback gents.

Internet is fine, I have fibre to premise at 300mbps so no bottlenecks there.

I don't think swapping the processor and motherboard for a 10-20% uplift makes much sense, so will go with a memory swap and see how that works I think.

Should be at least 4xDIMM's for best performance. X99 is a quad channel system.

Id just look for another set of what you currently have.

Man of Honour
OP
So conclusion is maybe 4 x 8GB will work best in my current motherboard?

Current memory is Team-Elite-2400 and it is in 4 x 4GB format, so not 2 x 8GB as above stated.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
"I'd recommend an enthusiast-class graphics card for the highest resolutions, 32GB on the System memory and obviously and SSD. processor wise four cores work, but my recommendation sits at an eight-core configuration for best experience."

Soldato
"I'd recommend an enthusiast-class graphics card for the highest resolutions, 32GB on the System memory and obviously and SSD. processor wise four cores work, but my recommendation sits at an eight-core configuration for best experience."

Yeah, I read that in the conclusion but I thought it was at odds with the evidence in the rest of the article which shows little effect from adding more than 16GB. Perhaps he advises 32GB assuming you've got other stuff going on the background (streaming etc)?

Edit: some usage statistics flying around Seattle - https://imgur.com/a/7EWZyUZ

You can see the memory usage never goes above 12GB and then settles back around 8GB on the ground, less in the air.

Back
Top Bottom